HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 4:24 PM

Dallas shut up about it not being built it is most obviously being built please for the love of god there is clear activity around it so please shut up about it I am sick and tired of all of the "ohh they didn't rise 4 floors today its not built" attitude

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 4:25 PM
Verticle

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
it sounds like you're joking but you could probably start another argument with this.
aw, craaaaaaap!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 4:30 PM

End of argument: the building is being built

No more

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
End of argument: the building is being built

No more
It shouldn't be the end of the argument, right jubguy3? Stop being a hypocrite. If the guy has an opinion, he should be free to share it, right? Who put you in charge Jubguy3? Actually I should probably be quiet, because according to you I do not have enough post to make myself creditable. Haha good one bro...

Unlike you, I very much enjoy Dallas Snob's input and opinion. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you have to shut down his argument or opinion, right jubguy3?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:24 PM
They all float down here

I love that of your 56 posts, probably half have been either directly, or indirectly, about me.

Video Link

Funny that, after I steer this conversation back toward the topic, you had to go right back to getting a shot in there, LumberJack.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I love that of your 56 posts, probably half have been either directly, or indirectly, about me.

Funny that, after I steer this conversation back toward the topic, you had to go right back to getting a shot in there, LumberJack.
Hey, I want it to be known that I was the one who started this argument! Don't take all the credit Comrade. Haha,

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
It shouldn't be the end of the argument, right jubguy3? Stop being a hypocrite. If the guy has an opinion, he should be free to share it, right? Who put you in charge Jubguy3? Actually I should probably be quiet, because according to you I do not have enough post to make myself creditable. Haha good one bro...

Unlike you, I very much enjoy Dallas Snob's input and opinion. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you have to shut down his argument or opinion, right jubguy3?
I do not enjoy his opinion because multiple people have explained to him multiple times that the building is getting built.

Stop digging yourself a bigger hole.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 8:08 PM
Verticle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
I do not enjoy his opinion because multiple people have explained to him multiple times that the building is getting built.

Stop digging yourself a bigger hole.
Jubguy3, chill bro! Take a valium. It's all going to be ok. I agree; many people have explained that the tower is being built. But is it really under construction? Yes, we can see the elevator core rising, but it HAS stalled at the height of the EPAC. Period. And there is nothing that has been SHOWN yet to indicate it is going any higher for the time being. Goldman Sachs has been indicating they may be scaling back their workforce globally...how will that affect SLC? I don't know. But no one has yet to show ANY proof that this tower will rise further than it has. I understand that there have been inspections as their should be of the current work. I personally haven't seen the blueprints nor the construction timeline for 111 Main. I emailed the contractor over the project in regards to giving a definitive "yes" or "no" and received no reply back. From my window from my office in Uptown Dallas, I can see 5 office projects all 20 storied or more that started AFTER 111 Main Street....and they are all well over 5 stories tall already, each with underground parking. All the pictures I have seen just keep showing the same thing...the core...and no higher than the EPAC. Forgive me for being a doubting Thomas; and you must understand I WANT THIS BUILDING TO GO UP! But please, tenants can change their minds, builders can change their plans, buildings can be put on hold. We have all seen it happen a million times. I COMPLETELY appreciate all the input from people saying that "if I were there" I would see...well then, SHOW ME something instead of the core over and over and over again. I sincerely hope that there is nothing wrong or slowing the project down and that there will suddenly be all kinds of steel or concrete going up. I really do. But at this point, my opinion is a very valid one, until there is no doubt to the contrary. And BTW, I like the redo of the Shilo. Is it my favorite? no, but it's a big improvement. And just for the record, my company is a large regional firm, and we work with one of the largest architectural firms in the world...one which does a great deal of projects in SLC. Over a third of our business is with developers and contractors. ALL i'm saying is that form the appearance, and from experience, 111's construction is confusing TO ME. I am sincerely sorry for offending you in any way. I don't live in Salt Lake anymore, so rely completely on pictures that you guys post. And, its OK for me to say this! I'm so glad that it is apparent to everyone that lives there, but to someone NOT living there, looking in on this post with some construction experience; it's NOT obvious. And I think we can all voice opinions without having to tell people to "shut up". There is absolutely no need to be rude.

Last edited by Dallas Snob; Jan 27, 2015 at 8:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 8:44 PM

MOM AND DAD I HATE IT WHEN YOU FIGHT

Hey, Old & New, where did you see that about Regent Street parking terrace getting street-level retail?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 8:56 PM

Photo update on the PAC and 111 taken yesterday. If you guys remember the PAC was originally scheduled to be finished July of 2016, but now is scheduled to be completed next January. While I would have loved to see more snow this year, the weather has been great for construction timelines, lol.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Right. I just meant, that it's amazing that they do not have any supports along that glass perimeter in the rendering.
My comment wasn't directed at you, Orlando. I agree. The lobby looks amazing. Others were saying the entire building was hanging from the roof.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 9:18 PM

Lumberjack is one of the most negative people to ever comment on this forum.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 9:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Lumberjack is one of the most negative people to ever comment on this forum.
Definitely not as bad as you... Haha. you and Comrade have the bar set very high for all of us to beat.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 10:13 PM

Eccles Theatre photo live update every 30 minutes - http://ecclestheater.com/purpose

Not sure if y'all already posted that link, but it's purdy fun.

Also, Regent Street will be shut down for events, etc. I think it would be awesome when City Creek has their Santa arrive to have the elves lead the crowd down Regent St to Gallivan skating rink... for example.

Maybe if I'm lucky they will cobblestone all of Regent St. All of downtown should be cobblestoned. I mean, if it's good enough for the Romans it should be good enough for SLC, right?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twothirty8 View Post
Eccles Theatre photo live update every 30 minutes - http://ecclestheater.com/purpose
Thanks for the link. Add that one to the other webcams I check out daily (or more frequently)

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
MOM AND DAD I HATE IT WHEN YOU FIGHT

Hey, Old & New, where did you see that about Regent Street parking terrace getting street-level retail?
Here (it was hidden in all the chatter about nothing on the Salt Lake City Development Page):

Quote:
Dear development nerds,

I would invite you all to the Clean Air Utah Rally at the State Capital on Saturday at 12pm. Our clean air issues are all based upon money, so how is it that Utah's big business doesn't see that our poor air is hindering economic growth and quality of life? Does big business even give a shit? And, if Mexico City can make such dramatic changes to their air quality why and the hell can't Utah? Oh, that's right, money and politics.

Insider PAC news. I heard from a friend on the PAC development board that the parking garage on Regent St will have ground shops built into it, and their is a very good possibility that the lots across from Gallivan Center will be developed... I can only hope that little hideous yellow POS building will be torn down. But before it does I would like to have a public rock throwing/sledgehammer party.

Also, the PAC tower would be much further along if it weren't for someone pouring over 300sq ft of the wrong cement, which means that cement, etc is being dug up at the moment.

Other than that. Great work with the development news everyone. I'm super excited about the new Fairpark Stadium.

And Isaac, SLCity.org rules!

Last edited by Old&New; Jan 28, 2015 at 3:38 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 12:45 AM

Quote:

Not sure if y'all already posted that link, but it's purdy fun.

Also, Regent Street will be shut down for events, etc. I think it would be awesome when City Creek has their Santa arrive to have the elves lead the crowd down Regent St to Gallivan skating rink... for example.

Maybe if I'm lucky they will cobblestone all of Regent St. All of downtown should be cobblestoned. I mean, if it's good enough for the Romans it should be good enough for SLC, right?
Thanks for the link. It's pretty cool how fast this is going up.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
There are clearly columns at the back of the lobby. It's not all supported from the roof.
Which columns are you speaking of? Are you referring to those columns currently in place on the construction site now?

Let me start my response by saying: "THIS IS NOTHING MORE THAN MY OPINION", and I know that Only time will tell what will become reality ... but I do not believe those columns currently in place will structurally support the weight of 111 Main above them, even though it will APPEAR that they do. My understanding is that those columns are solely for the support of the theater.

I compare it to the old seagull building it is replacing (can't remember it's name)... Where that building was primarily supported by 2 massive beams at the roof (thus why they were the last parts to be removed), this building will be supported by what appears to be a very complex structure at the roof. And where that building's beams were supported on each end, this building's complex structure will be supported by a central core.

"Hanging" below this structure will be each of the floors, which will then be anchored to the core all the way down the building. At which point the lobby for 111 and EPAC can be constructed in the manner as shown, giving the appearance that EPAC is supporting 111 and leaving the rest of the lobby free of columns.

Hypothetically speaking, this would allow for the EPAC to be replaced at a future date without requiring 111 to be removed as well. We don't need to look far for a similar example. Gateway Tower West appeared to be hanging above the construction site for CCC a few years back, but now appears to be supported by a portion of the CCC mall/apartments along Main Street.

Sorry if that was difficult to follow, or if you do not agree with me. As I stated earlier; this is just my interpretation of what I am seeing, discussions I have heard, and the crazy ideas I have bouncing around inside my head!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 4:01 AM

No, I'm not talking about EPAC at all. Look at the lobby sketches closely. I don't have time right now to markup what I'm referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Ute View Post
Which columns are you speaking of? Are you referring to those columns currently in place on the construction site now?

Let me start my response by saying: "THIS IS NOTHING MORE THAN MY OPINION", and I know that Only time will tell what will become reality ... but I do not believe those columns currently in place will structurally support the weight of 111 Main above them, even though it will APPEAR that they do. My understanding is that those columns are solely for the support of the theater.

I compare it to the old seagull building it is replacing (can't remember it's name)... Where that building was primarily supported by 2 massive beams at the roof (thus why they were the last parts to be removed), this building will be supported by what appears to be a very complex structure at the roof. And where that building's beams were supported on each end, this building's complex structure will be supported by a central core.

"Hanging" below this structure will be each of the floors, which will then be anchored to the core all the way down the building. At which point the lobby for 111 and EPAC can be constructed in the manner as shown, giving the appearance that EPAC is supporting 111 and leaving the rest of the lobby free of columns.

Hypothetically speaking, this would allow for the EPAC to be replaced at a future date without requiring 111 to be removed as well. We don't need to look far for a similar example. Gateway Tower West appeared to be hanging above the construction site for CCC a few years back, but now appears to be supported by a portion of the CCC mall/apartments along Main Street.

Sorry if that was difficult to follow, or if you do not agree with me. As I stated earlier; this is just my interpretation of what I am seeing, discussions I have heard, and the crazy ideas I have bouncing around inside my head!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
I think 222 made an impact in the skyline, but more than anything it looks very nice at street level and that's the biggest thing I'm sure I'll love about 111 and the PAC as well. Looking at the nice open lobby in the rendering with the theater just south of it, that will look awesome.
I think all would agree with you on that Airhero. Not only 222 and the future 111, but I was also very impressed with the Regent, especially the remake of the former Beneficial Tower, and quite a few others.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West