HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 7:12 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
I visited Coeur d'Alene last fall with some friends and ate at Bonsai and the Spider Crab was excellent. I saw some of the Riverstone District and it looked really nice. Coeur d'Alene rules with the scenery and Sandpoint is heaven. We also drove through St. Maries and it was a really nice town especially with the St. Joe River and the tugboats , and the White Pine forest outside of St. Maries is a great place to hunt for mushrooms. I have heard that St. Maries is kind of becoming a small haven for relocating artists.
I wish I had taken pictures of St. Maries and Wallace. I filled up my SANDisk with pics of Coeur d'Alene the Lake and Sandpoint and Lake Pend' Oreille.
Well, do ya thang brotha. Post up the pics. We'd love to see them.
Spokane, WA-Cd'A, ID CSA....785,302

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 6:56 PM
Smile :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthemanincda View Post
Wow, where did you hear that? Whoever told you that is confused. I know Rathdrum is growing really fast, but the city only had 5,740 residents as of 2005 (the last year the Census came out with city numbers). The city grew 19.2% between 2000 and 2005.

You must be talking about Post Falls. A demographer who works with the Census Bureau estimates PF will hit 65,000 by 2028 (98,000 with expected annexation)---see the above post.

I agree with your sentiment about Cd'A needing more towers. Many people talk about Post Falls passing Cd'A in population. Yes, this is almost certain to happen, but it will still be a while. Assuming 2000-2005 growth rates, PF won't pass Cd'A until 2023 or 2024 (assuming no further annexation, so it might be sooner...). Cd'A is becoming denser, and more towers will be built in the upcoming years, but Cd'A will eventually max out population wise, with around 80,000 residents. At least for the next 15 or so years, Cd'A will be #1 in population in the county, PF will be #2, Hayden #3, and Rathdrum #4.
Well, I read in the Rathdrum Star (you probably don't get it...it serves the northern half of the KC) that if and when Rathdrum develops all of is area of impact (or some technical term) that the city would have a population of 65,000 people. If you think about it though, it really isn't that unreasonable, because the potential city limits for Rathdrum are pretty big...it goes to the mid-point between hayden and rathdrum on the east, it continues south to the northern border of PF, it could go as far north of just south of Twin lakes etc.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 7:50 PM
World Traveler

I can see it happening eventually. I never rule anything out, but even assuming annexation, which is probable, 65,000 population is so far away from Rathdrum now, it is hard to imagine this happening anytime soon.

Assuming 50% growth every 5 years (more than 3x the current growth rate), Rathdrum wouldn't get to 65,000 until after 2040. A city sustaining 50% growth for over 35 years is really unprecedented.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 7:05 PM
World Traveler

I'm want to get the top spot on page 2 of this thread to post information on more developments going on around town, so I'm going to use the next two posts to get there.

Information on Coeur d'Alene's tallest buildings:

1. Coeur d'Alene Resort 18 floors 216 feet 66 meters (1989)
2. Parkside 20 floors 213 feet 65 meters (u/c)
3. McEuen Terrace 15 floors 171 feet 52 meters (2002)
4. Lake Tower Apartments 10 floors 114 feet (1975)
5. Cd'A North Condos 9 floors 103 feet (1984)

[The city currently has the 2nd and 3rd tallest buildings in the state]

Right now there are 4 tower cranes in town: 1 at Parkside, 1 at the Terraces, and 2 at Riverstone

Last edited by jimthemanincda; Jun 3, 2007 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 7:07 PM
World Traveler

Tall buildings proposed:

1. Riverstone Development 20 floors 250 feet 76 meters
2. additional 4 towers in Riverstone 14 floors each 165 feet each

Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 7:12 PM
World Traveler

More Coeur d'Alene Projects

Sandpoint, Silver Valley, and St. Maries Projects:
(For Coeur d'Alene, Post Falls, Hayden, and Rathdrum area projects, see the first post on Page 1 of this thread)

University of Idaho-Sandpoint
$30 million 77 acre university site in Sandpoint
First classes available in fall 2009
1,000 student enrollment within five years of the first classes

Schweitzer Ski Resort expansion near Sandpoint
$50 million expansion to build 2 more chairlifts and more roads to help improve access for future residences on the mountain (Schweitzer will eventually add more than 4,000 housing units to its 7,000 acre private holding---there are fewer than 1,000 housing units currently)
http://www.schweitzer.com/

Silver Rapids Indoor Waterpark/Morning Star Lodge in Kellogg
Waterpark opening early 2008
http://www.silvermt.com/

The Crossing at Willow Bay in Sandpoint
180 acre gated community with yacht club access
http://www.crossingwillowbay.com/home

Dover Bay in Sandpoint
285 acre waterfront community
http://www.doverbayidaho.com/

Seasons at Sandpoint
Private residential resort and spa
http://www.seasonsatsandpoint.com/

Last edited by jimthemanincda; Sep 28, 2007 at 8:31 AM. Reason: Updated projects list

Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 7:13 PM
World Traveler

More Coeur d'Alene Projects

Double post

Last edited by jimthemanincda; Sep 28, 2007 at 7:45 AM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 1:22 AM
Cascadia Rising

I'm going home to CDA next weekend, so maybe I can get some shots of the construction.

To comment on earlier posts, the Terraces by Hagadone look not so good, but the quality of the materials is impressive. Prices for the units run from $4.5-5.5 million. I'm usually all for development, but it's too bad the building is so unoriginal.

I was thinking, it would be cool to get some small commercial office towers in dt CDA, so maybe there would be more of a job base downtown. Maybe in the future.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 2:20 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandEmpire View Post
I'm going home to CDA next weekend, so maybe I can get some shots of the construction.

To comment on earlier posts, the Terraces by Hagadone look not so good, but the quality of the materials is impressive. Prices for the units run from $4.5-5.5 million. I'm usually all for development, but it's too bad the building is so unoriginal.

I was thinking, it would be cool to get some small commercial office towers in dt CDA, so maybe there would be more of a job base downtown. Maybe in the future.
Duane does like uniformity in his buildings.

I agree about having some commercial office towers downtown. I hope we see some in the next few years.

Looking forward to the pictures. I'll be back towards the end of the month and am going to take some of my own.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 8:37 PM

Thanks for pulling this thread together jimthemanincda. I didn't think CDA was getting the attention it deserves being contained within the Spokane thread.

Quote:
I can see it happening eventually. I never rule anything out, but even assuming annexation, which is probable, 65,000 population is so far away from Rathdrum now, it is hard to imagine this happening anytime soon.
This is entirely possible if you look at Meridian over the past 37 years (especially the last 17);

1970 - 2,616
1980 - 6,658
1990 - 9,596
2000 - 34,919
2007 - 71,866

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 9:12 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boizean View Post
Thanks for pulling this thread together jimthemanincda. I didn't think CDA was getting the attention it deserves being contained within the Spokane thread.
No problem. I think there are about 5 people from North Idaho or who formerly lived in NI, so we have a nice start. I figured with all of the projects going on in the area, it would be nice to do a separate thread from Spokane.

I've got a lot more information to post, I just didn't want to have 10 posts in a row. One of the things I'll put up next week are old pictures of Cd'A and old articles from 20 years ago predicting Cd'A's "future." They are surprisingly very, very accurate. I'll be in town in a couple of weeks and will take some pictures of the Ironman Triathalon and the 4th of July Fireworks, both huge events in town that I'll post more information about.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 10:07 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Duane does like uniformity in his buildings.
Speaking of Hagadone, wasn't he just in the news for the mansion he built in Palm Springs and it got a lot of criticism.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 10:12 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
Speaking of Hagadone, wasn't he just in the news for the mansion he built in Palm Springs and it got a lot of criticism.
Yes, besides the Spokane Spokesman-Review newspaper (competes with Hagadone's Coeur d'Alene Press) doing an article on it, none other than the LA Times did an article on it. The Guardian newspaper in London and Business Week magazine later picked up the LA Times story and ran other articles on the mansion.

Here's the link:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...home-headlines

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 10:15 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Keep us updated Jimtheman. Coeur d'Alene is one of the most beautiful cities and areas anywhere so it is great to see updates on the cities progression.
I would live to have a condo in either Coeur d'Alene or Sandpoint. I read about a new project where the developer wants to build floating house boats on Lake Pend Oreille, or I think it was that lake, maybe it was the Pend Oreille River, but I cannot remember.

Has there been any updates on the French villas?
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 10:34 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Has there been any updates on the French villas?
Not sure if you are talking about Chateau de Loire...
From two years ago---"Another gated golf community – this one with architecture themed after famous French castles – is coming to the shores of Lake Coeur d'Alene. A Las Vegas development firm has submitted plans for the $150 million Chateau De Loire Golf and Lake Club, an 18-hole golf course and 475 luxury homes and condos overlooking Moscow Bay."

Last July the county did not approve the Chateau development (though it approved the second phase of Black Rock in the same meeting). The developer later sued last summer, alleging discrimination. The county later went into mediation with the developer.

Here's the latest news from a month and a half ago. The next hearing on the project is on July 19:
A district court judge ruled Wednesday that Kootenai County is following the rules and that a proposed French-themed golf retreat is on the fast track.

This means that the July 19 public hearing for Chateau de Loire, a proposed 18-hole golf course and 500 homes on the east side of Lake Coeur d'Alene, is still on.

1st District Court Judge John Luster denied Kirk-Hughes Development's request for an emergency court hearing. The Las Vegas company filed the motion Tuesday, arguing the county allegedly broke a mediated agreement over the development schedule by postponing the May 31 hearing date until July.

Luster said that he couldn't consider the request because the company's initial appeal – filed after the county commission's July 2006 denial of the golf retreat project – is on hold because the parties approved the mediation agreement.

Yet Luster wrote that after reviewing the request, it appears the county has followed the expedited schedule.

Coeur d'Alene attorney Kacey Wall, who represents the company, was out of the office and unavailable for comment.

In court documents, Kirk-Hughes Development argues that the delay means the county can't decide by the agreed Sept. 1 deadline whether to approve the multimillion-dollar project. In addition, the postponement will cost the company an extra $135,000 in expenses ranging from engineering services to a $25,000 forfeited consulting fee.

The company wanted Luster to force the county to keep the May 31 hearing date.

Last week the county postponed the public hearing until July 19 so the newly hired planning director has time to take charge.

County Attorney John Cafferty maintained that without the agreement the county would have scheduled the hearing for September.

"I think the order speaks for itself," Cafferty said

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 9:52 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

jimthemanincda, didn't you mention that you are going to have pics for us soon?
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 3:41 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
jimthemanincda, didn't you mention that you are going to have pics for us soon?
I'll be in town in a week and a half. It'll take a day or two after that to post some pictures, but they will be up soon (thanks for all your Boise pictures by the way). I've got articles to post this week in the meantime...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 6:15 AM

I live in Coeur d'Alene, and hopefully sometime within the next few days, i will get out and take some pictures. When I do, I'll make sure to get the new condos by hagadone, the new chamber of commerce bldg, the parkside towers, and the riverstone stuff. At this moment, there are literally so many cranes and new bldgs, it is very exciting!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 6:20 AM

Oh, another thing. Did anyone else catch the article in the Press that was about making Huetter road the new Cd'A US95 bypass? It'd relieve traffic on teh current us95 and SR41. I think that it is a horrible idea. I think that the effort needs to be concentrated on making US95 a freeway through Cd'A/Hayden...not move the road west. Most of the traffic on 95 is Cd'A related. I think that the KMPO is just trying to combine any sr41 and US95 improvements into one road, which, I think is a bad idea.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 4:07 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
Oh, another thing. Did anyone else catch the article in the Press that was about making Huetter road the new Cd'A US95 bypass? It'd relieve traffic on teh current us95 and SR41. I think that it is a horrible idea. I think that the effort needs to be concentrated on making US95 a freeway through Cd'A/Hayden...not move the road west. Most of the traffic on 95 is Cd'A related. I think that the KMPO is just trying to combine any sr41 and US95 improvements into one road, which, I think is a bad idea.
Yes, I saw the article. The bypass has actually been in the planning stages for many years (since 1998). It will still be a little while before it is built, though. I like the idea. As to your feelings that they are just trying to put off improvements to Hwy 41 & 95, don't worry about it. There has been talk about widening and improving each highway (even with the bypass being built). The idea of the bypass is to have motorists passing through the area not have to deal with local traffic. That is why after studying the possibility of making US 95 a limited access freeway, KMPO and ITD are choosing to build a limited access freeway away from currently developed areas. We will still see a busy US 95and SR 41 with all the local traffic, but in the future 95 will be widened to 6 lanes and 41 to 4 lanes.

Here's a picture of the proposed bypass for those not familiar with the areas:
The blue lines are where proposed interchange ramps would be located (I-90, Poleline Avenue, Prairie Avenue, Hayden Avenue, Wyoming Avenue, Lancaster Avenue, Hwy. 95/Hwy. 53)

Last edited by jimthemanincda; Jun 13, 2007 at 5:07 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West