HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 4:53 PM

And benefits. At my employer, you can choose between different coverages. 80%, 100%, dental, vision. You don't have to enroll in all of that. Just a basic minimum of some kind. Most people do the 80% thing.

On construction, any news on some of the rumoured downtown projects that were mentioned over the last number of months? Or am I just dreaming and there's nothing in the pipeline?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 4:59 PM

^ Feels like it's been forever since we've heard about something new and substantial downtown that wasn't a false start like Skip the Dishes or the Hyatt projects.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:22 PM
BANNED

weren’t wawanesa tower and the skip project the rumours? yeah evidently our business friendly politicians aren’t having a lot if success attracting business.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
wow, love how construction thread is all about teachers.
Agreed. Teacher and employee benefits can have their own thread

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Why?
museums (IMO) are simply a form of public education. is it that important to spend $30 million educating people on the history of aviation when we’re cutting libraries (a form of life long education) and funding to universities?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
museums (IMO) are simply a form of public education. is it that important to spend $30 million educating people on the history of aviation when we’re cutting libraries (a form of life long education) and funding to universities?
It's a fair question. But human nature being what it is, pass two hats around to potential donors, one for the capital costs of an aviation museum and one to pay for operating costs of existing libraries. One of them will fill up in the blink of an eye and it won't even be close.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:51 PM

The aviation museum is also a waste of money because they already had a building which they sold for a song, and then got kicked out of as renters, with nothing left to show for it. They only need the new building because somebody was short-sighted.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:52 PM
BANNED

^ yeah, which is a problem with charity itself. it’s not about solving society’s most pressing needs, it’s often based on personal or emotional connection to a cause. which is why we should just tax wealthy people more instead and collectively decide how to use that money the best

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:52 PM

Quote:
weren’t wawanesa tower and the skip project the rumours? yeah evidently our business friendly politicians aren’t having a lot if success attracting business.
Maybe. I thought there was some stuff goin on Portage. Maybe it died.

There was a drill rig doing work on the lot at SE Donald at st. mary recently. Someone must know whats going on there.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:32 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Only a relatively small number of new businesses would have any interest in locating in downtown Winnipeg. What you’re more likely to attract to Manitoba are agricultural businesses, not new accounting firms or corporate head offices.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ from what my informal discussions with friends/family - all health coverage seems very similar in terms of private/public (I am in the private sector, three different employers thus far, and my wife is a teacher).

Basically the minimum is 80% coverage of prescriptions and physio/etc ($500 per year), along with the standard stuff for private or semi-private hospital rooms, vision, dental, etc.

There aren't any major differences. Some employers offer 100% coverage, some don't.
For benefits it comes down the percentage of coverage, if there is an annual cap, and what that cap is. I have heard of many private sector plans that have no cap on prescription drug coverage below your pharamcare deductible. That alone can be very significant.

Also the inclusions/exclusions can matter, things like physio, massage, etc. If you find yourself needing physio and don't have coverage you could quickly be out of pocket $1000 or more.

I also know some private plans pick up the cost of your gym membership under something like "employee wellness".

The final piece is how much "health spending" is allowed in a year and what are the rules around that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Defined benefit is not necessarily better. It just puts the risk on the company rather than the employee. Conversely DB plans are riskier in the sense that if a company goes under, your DB pension is not safe while a DC pension would be.
Ask Eaton's and Sears retirees about their thoughts on a defined benefit pension plan. Both companies ceased operations with a huge unfunded pension gap.

--

Quote:
With the announcement that Skip will be moving all offices into True North Square in an existing building that rumor is effectively dead. They were clearly shopping around for a space and found what they wanted.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 7:19 PM
Winnipeg

I don't think the Wawanesa one is a rumor. It's an actual proposal. If they don't change their plan it will become part of the True North Square complex.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
I don't think the Wawanesa one is a rumor. It's an actual proposal. If they don't change their plan it will become part of the True North Square complex.
Yes, it's real... it was announced back in June. I should have mentioned it since it's a substantial project.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 8:01 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yes, it's real... it was announced back in June. I should have mentioned it since it's a substantial project.
All good

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 2:10 AM
BANNED

Raw: almond isn’t happening his year and the river trail is unlikely as well due to high water levels. a good example of how climate change is already affecting us. huge loses in tourism and hospitality

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 2:43 AM

Wawanesa is a go. The RWB students will be taking up two full floors of the TNS apartments, at least for a few years. I was told TN and RWB are working on a plan to tear down the part of the RWB parkade that has no building above it. Unclear if that will be for new future student residences or something else. FWIW I parked in the RWB parkade at 10am today and wasn't even half full.

--

RAW:Almond didn't want to do it last year either and The Forks begged them and they finally caved. Nothing to do with success, the organizers are just tired of it.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 1:03 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Also nothing to do with climare change and everything to do with a flat landscape.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Wawanesa is a go. The RWB students will be taking up two full floors of the TNS apartments, at least for a few years. I was told TN and RWB are working on a plan to tear down the part of the RWB parkade that has no building above it. Unclear if that will be for new future student residences or something else. FWIW I parked in the RWB parkade at 10am today and wasn't even half full.
Interesting news. There's a lot of potential for that parkade site, RWB has grown since the current facility was built and they could probably use some more space in addition to just replacing the residence.

As for parking, there is massive pent up demand around there given that multiple new towers have been built around there or are about to be built, with very little new parking to go along with it... rates have doubled over the last couple years in some lots. All RWB would have to do is hang a banner advertising monthly parking that's 10% less than the neighbouring lots and it would fill right up. I think a lot of people probably just assume it's already spoken for.

Also: not terribly surprised to hear that the organizers of RAW: Almond have had enough with the concept. It's been a long time for them, time to move on.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 12:56 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

mandles been talking about taking a break for few years grew to big on him

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 2:35 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Sometimes it takes me a bit longer to figure things out.

So I'm wondering about the Raddison / CanadInns...

Is it still a Raddison Hotel, or has CanadInns just taken over the whole, I don't know what it's supposed to be. If its totally a CanadInns (don't know why they didn't take over the Alt instead), are they planning on removing the Raddison signage so that people don't get like confused?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan