HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: If you didn't live in your current province/territory, where would you want to live?
Newfoundland and Labrador 5 3.85%
Nova Scotia 16 12.31%
Prince Edward Island 5 3.85%
New Brunswick 4 3.08%
Quebec 20 15.38%
Ontario 22 16.92%
Manitoba 10 7.69%
Saskatchewan 3 2.31%
Alberta 8 6.15%
British Columbia 32 24.62%
Yukon 4 3.08%
Northwest Territories 0 0%
Nunavut 1 0.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 4:14 AM

Which is closer to Toronto? St. John’s or Vancouver?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 4:39 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Which is closer to Toronto? St. John’s or Vancouver?
St John's is about the same straight line distance from Toronto as Moose Jaw Sask. In absolute driving time, SJs can be slightly closer to Toronto than Vancouver, but SJs is more than an hour closer in flight time. The isolation is real, and is the source of NL's distinct culture, but it's also much closer to Europe in actual distance than anywhere on the american continent. St. John's is about the same distance from Vancouver as Cuba, and is farther than Hawaii.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 2:07 PM
I am the law!

It would be outside of Canada if I were to relocate.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
St John's is about the same straight line distance from Toronto as Moose Jaw Sask. In absolute driving time, SJs can be slightly closer to Toronto than Vancouver, but SJs is more than an hour closer in flight time. The isolation is real, and is the source of NL's distinct culture, but it's also much closer to Europe in actual distance than anywhere on the american continent. St. John's is about the same distance from Vancouver as Cuba, and is farther than Hawaii.
I just did a comparison of St John's vs Vancouver round trip to Toronto on Air Canada:

Most Basic Fare Leave Jan 15 Return Jan 22:

St. John's
Total Flying Hours: 6:42
Cost: $335

Vancouver
Total Flying Hours: 9:40
Cost:$526

So basically if you were from Southern Ontario, St. John's is less "remote" to home than BC.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 2:45 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
I just did a comparison of St John's vs Vancouver round trip to Toronto on Air Canada:

Most Basic Fare Leave Jan 15 Return Jan 22:

St. John's
Total Flying Hours: 6:42
Cost: $335

Vancouver
Total Flying Hours: 9:40
Cost:$526

So basically if you were from Southern Ontario, St. John's is less "remote" to home than BC.
I'm not sure if you're comparing flying time with time zones or not, but:

Vancouver-Toronto: ~4:30 flying time
Toronto-Vancouver: ~5:15 flying time

Toronto-St. John's: ~3 hrs
St.John's-Toronto: ~3:45

Prices are hard to compare, but generally St. John's is cheaper. Airfare is notoriously variable though based on season, competition and when you're booking the ticket for.

Then again, the Venn diagram overlap for people who are considering both Vancouver and St. John's must be minuscule. I doubt the extra $200-300 and 2 hours of flight would make a difference to those people.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 3:13 PM
video et taceo

Toronto, Montreal, or deep rural Pictou County, NS.

Kind of depends on my thoughts and feelings about a few things, as you might infer.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Toronto, Montreal, or deep rural Pictou County, NS.

Kind of depends on my thoughts and feelings about a few things, as you might infer.
You could almost blend the three in Prince Edward County, ON.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 4:19 PM

St. John's flights are significantly cheaper than they were last time I looked... or could it be because it's Toronto instead of Montreal? Last I checked, Montreal-St. John's was about 2x the price of Montreal-Paris or Montreal-London. Not an attractive bang for the buck ratio at all if you want to go somewhere as tourist.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 4:48 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
St. John's flights are significantly cheaper than they were last time I looked... or could it be because it's Toronto instead of Montreal? Last I checked, Montreal-St. John's was about 2x the price of Montreal-Paris or Montreal-London. Not an attractive bang for the buck ratio at all if you want to go somewhere as tourist.
Air Canada is the only airline that flies direct between Montreal and St. John's, so you'll pay what they think you'll pay for that privilege. Out of Toronto, there's at least Westjet as competition.

An informal breeze through Google Flights shows prices of Montreal-St. John's as between $470-$700 from January through August, whereas Toronto runs about $330-$700. Not cheap, but about comparable with Montreal-Paris flights during that time span.

Anywhere in the developed world has bad bang-for-buck. I'd say that lodging would be a bigger factor in cost than airfare to be honest.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 5:05 PM

Paying for lodging had always been out of the question in the above example though. (I'd be sleeping at my dad's cousin's place outside Paris and on SignalHillHiker's couch in St. John's.)

But yeah, you're right, if you're going to travel to random places without compromises (i.e. no backpacking, youth hostels, camping, sleeping on a park bench, sleeping in the car, etc.) then yeah, lodging quickly trumps the fixed one-time cost of travel as time spent there increases.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada