HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 1:10 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
No Maple Trees, your lucky. Vancouver has been planting them like there is no tomorrow and it is getting really boring.

I love Ginko trees, wonderful bright yellow fall foliage.
Oh, and the smell!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
No Maple Trees, your lucky. Vancouver has been planting them like there is no tomorrow and it is getting really boring.

I love Ginko trees, wonderful bright yellow fall foliage.
I think because they are native here, and homeowners love planting them, that they are trying to avoid them for the sake of diversity.

Anyways, as for the Gingko trees, it appears they offer little to no ecological value and aren't great for biodiversity. No bugs or animals benefits from them, they are basically a living statue. That's one reason they are planted though, free of pest and disease and can grow in tough spots. I guess one here are there isn't too bad, which is basically what the town did. Honestly though if it were me I'd go 100% native trees. Of the 10 varieties they planted 3 aren't native. Zelkova, European Beech, Gingko. Urban forestry is a tricky balance though so I get the need for the odd tough non-natives.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 4:16 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Close to me, I'm in Parkview Hills.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
I think because they are native here, and homeowners love planting them, that they are trying to avoid them for the sake of diversity.

Anyways, as for the Gingko trees, it appears they offer little to no ecological value and aren't great for biodiversity. No bugs or animals benefits from them, they are basically a living statue. That's one reason they are planted though, free of pest and disease and can grow in tough spots. I guess one here are there isn't too bad, which is basically what the town did. Honestly though if it were me I'd go 100% native trees. Of the 10 varieties they planted 3 aren't native. Zelkova, European Beech, Gingko. Urban forestry is a tricky balance though so I get the need for the odd tough non-natives.
I'm all for planting native trees as well. I can't stand it when our city plants non-native trees and they never really grow. Such a waste of time and money. We are in Zone 2 and are quite limited.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 9:45 PM

Resurrecting this thread a little. I've noticed that the town fall planting has a variety of Elm tree listed. Jefferson Elm (Ulmus americana ‘Jefferson') to be exact. Very interesting. It obviously must be resistant of Dutch Elm Disease. I wonder if we'll see something similar happen with Ash trees. Develop cultivars around the few that survive the EAB. Eitherway, will be neat to see Elm trees being planted!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 12:02 AM
A Better Place

Quote:
Resurrecting this thread a little. I've noticed that the town fall planting has a variety of Elm tree listed. Jefferson Elm (Ulmus americana ‘Jefferson') to be exact. Very interesting. It obviously must be resistant of Dutch Elm Disease. I wonder if we'll see something similar happen with Ash trees. Develop cultivars around the few that survive the EAB. Eitherway, will be neat to see Elm trees being planted!
Great to hear, I wasn't aware that there were Elms resistant to DED, but I'm sure glad there are.

Edmonton has a massive canopy of American Elms and Green Ashes that I hope will remain disease-free for many years to come (knocks on wood).

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 2:15 PM
Near Generational

I love the streets in Calgary that have Elm trees. It was really sad to see how much damage happened in snowtember a few years back.

I'm generally happy with how the city manages and cares for its trees, really nice to see.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Great to hear, I wasn't aware that there were Elms resistant to DED, but I'm sure glad there are.

Edmonton has a massive canopy of American Elms and Green Ashes that I hope will remain disease-free for many years to come (knocks on wood).
That's interesting. Both trees have been pretty much eradicated from urban centre's in North America. Is it the cold winters that have spared them?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 10:09 PM
Fake News

Quote:
That's interesting. Both trees have been pretty much eradicated from urban centre's in North America. Is it the cold winters that have spared them?
Calgary has tons of elms too. The prairie isolation saved them from Dutch Elm.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0624...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 1:05 AM

It’s time to start throwing eco-thugs in jail. Like the Fairey Creek protestors in BC who repeatedly ignored the legitimate leadership of the band whose land they were trespassing on. And then there’s idiots like this:

Climate protesters throw soup on Van Gogh’s Sunflowers painting at London gallery
ALEX MARSHALL
LONDON
THE NEW YORK TIMES
PUBLISHED 9 HOURS AGO

Climate activists splashed soup across the glass covering Vincent van Gogh’s Sunflowers, in London’s National Gallery, on Oct. 14.

Climate protesters across Europe have for months been gluing themselves to the frames of famous paintings in a series of attention-grabbing stunts….

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/worl...s-painting-at/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada