HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 9:46 PM

University of Arizona to build 10-story research building in downtown Phoenix

Anne Ryman, The Republic | azcentral.com 2:26 p.m. MST May 15, 2014

The University of Arizona and city of Phoenix announced plans today for a $136-million research building that will be the tallest to date on the downtown Phoenix Biomedical Campus.

The 10-story building is planned for Seventh and Fillmore streets, just south of where the university is also constructing a cancer center. The new 245,000-square-foot building is being funded through bonds paid for largely with state-lottery money.

UA President Ann Weaver Hart said the project, called the Biosciences Partnership Building, will help the university move forward in the biomedical sciences.

"In this building, partnerships will be formed in which are scholars and researchers will be looking for the answers to some pretty daunting questions," she said.

The building fits into the university's goals, which include increasing access to quality healthcare while reducing costs and personalizing medicine to an individual's needs.

The project goes before the Arizona Board of Regents for approval in June and is the latest building planned on the Phoenix Biomedical Campus. The 30-acre site is owned by the city and bordered by Monroe and Garfield streets between 7th and 5th streets.

Hart and Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton held a press conference Thursday afternoon to announce the project.

A decade ago, the site was an abandoned high school in the center of the city, Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said.

"Look what positive change can come," he said.

The campus now includes the University of Arizona College of Medicine Phoenix, which has 282 students, and the Translational Genomics Research Institute, also known as T-Gen. The site also includes the UA colleges of public health, pharmacy and nursing and Northern Arizona University's College of Health and Human Services.

City officials said the building would create nearly 500 construction jobs and, once complete, 360 permanent jobs.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 10:05 PM

WOW. Great news!!!!!

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 10:06 PM

Nice! Research building tend to have pretty high floors I believe, maybe this this will be around 150'?

EDIT: Just realized the building is already in the rendering...I got confused and thought the building they were showing is already there and this would be built north of it.

It's a big building but just kind of...big. I guess you need that for a research building, would of liked something more slender.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Nice! Research building tend to have pretty high floors I believe, maybe this this will be around 150'?
I would imagine around 150'. It will be plenty tall and be nice in-fill.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 10:43 PM
BANNED

It still makes me cringe with all those empty lots in the background....

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
........ would of liked something more slender.
There is always a critic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
It still makes me cringe with all those empty lots in the background....
That aerial is really old, Some of the lots have already been developed.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
^ I love a lot of Eddie Jones' work, but its so clear that Phoenix's starchitects (him, Bruder) don't have the foggiest idea how to do urban projects. This project, just like Cityscape, create a silly inward facing pedestrian area at the expense of the actual public space, the street. 2nd Street ends up having to house the back of house needs when an alley should be taking care of it. Very frustrating.
Yea, I don't know how anyone can defend the "urban-ness" of a project, when its back of house services are visible along a major street. I feel horrible for anyone who attended meetings that led up to the Urban Form being put together; there clearly was no point, since developers with enough clout will just variance their way out of it. Besides parking lots (like the one ASU created on this very lot), back of house service is probably the easiest way to kill a pedestrian experience and ruin the overall aesthetics of a design. This shit isn't that hard. Retail faces street, garbage faces alley... parking - if needed, and of course it is - gets accessed via alley to keep a continuous facade on the street. Ta-da!

I wish I could sit in a room with these architects so I could put my bitterness aside and get lost in their unrealistic fantasies of ASU students mingling with academically inclined downtown dwellers in these pedestrian plazas that they sneak into every project. If only our city had as many people as their renderings; we can barely keep retail afloat and our streets, while improved, still look like a ghost town to most out of state visitors. Why don't we focus on planting some trees and keeping people moving along those instead of funneling resources into creating spaces nobody will use.

Maybe they'll even put the cafe below grade like they did with Fair Trade to make it even more exciting? Who wants to make use of the ground level of a historic building when you can use the basement that's out of most people's line of sight!

Oh, and thanks for all that community collaboration - "While the community appealed the variances through the standard process, the original approval of the design was ultimately upheld."

Those Biomedical buildings are disgusting, too. The first was bad enough, now we get to see what it looks like twice as high? Is a symmetrical building every now and then for some visual resting so much to ask for? At least U of A bulldozed through those historic homes on Polk, so they have plenty of options for construction staging. Things were looking pretty crowded over that way.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Yea, I don't know how anyone can defend the "urban-ness" of a project, when its back of house services are visible along a major street. I feel horrible for anyone who attended meetings that led up to the Urban Form being put together; there clearly was no point, since developers with enough clout will just variance their way out of it. Besides parking lots (like the one ASU created on this very lot), back of house service is probably the easiest way to kill a pedestrian experience and ruin the overall aesthetics of a design. This shit isn't that hard. Retail faces street, garbage faces alley... parking - if needed, and of course it is - gets accessed via alley to keep a continuous facade on the street. Ta-da!

I wish I could sit in a room with these architects so I could put my bitterness aside and get lost in their unrealistic fantasies of ASU students mingling with academically inclined downtown dwellers in these pedestrian plazas that they sneak into every project. If only our city had as many people as their renderings; we can barely keep retail afloat and our streets, while improved, still look like a ghost town to most out of state visitors. Why don't we focus on planting some trees and keeping people moving along those instead of funneling resources into creating spaces nobody will use.

Maybe they'll even put the cafe below grade like they did with Fair Trade to make it even more exciting? Who wants to make use of the ground level of a historic building when you can use the basement that's out of most people's line of sight!

Oh, and thanks for all that community collaboration - "While the community appealed the variances through the standard process, the original approval of the design was ultimately upheld."

Those Biomedical buildings are disgusting, too. The first was bad enough, now we get to see what it looks like twice as high? Is a symmetrical building every now and then for some visual resting so much to ask for? At least U of A bulldozed through those historic homes on Polk, so they have plenty of options for construction staging. Things were looking pretty crowded over that way.
I like these buildings and I'm quite excited by this new one.

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevininPhx View Post
I like these buildings and I'm quite excited by this new one.
I don't think the law school is terrible, aesthetically. But, I think the Bipmedical Center is just too much of one style; don't you think some simpler buildings with clean lines would help the campus seem less chaotic and make the more complicated ones stand out more?

But, in terms of the layout/design, you really think an inward facing plaza, street-fronting back of house garage/loading zone - at only 6 stories in such a central location - is good? Simply eliminating the plaza for a smaller alley to serve back of house/parking needs would almost fix the design entirely... It's just frustrating when this inward-plaza model has proven unsuccessful in so many other developments.

And, while I'm glad they left space for future development on the lot, I still think the footprint is too big for a central lot, and should have been reduced to only 1/2, necessitating at least 8-10 stories, and leaving even more room for private development.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 3:07 AM

OP-ED
Bold ASU-Phoenix plan transforms downtown

Ten years ago this spring, Michael Crow unveiled an audacious plan for Arizona State University. In just his second year as ASU's president, Crow announced that the university would create — from scratch — a major new campus in the heart of downtown Phoenix. Some of the university's signature colleges, mainstays of the Tempe campus for decades, would be uprooted and moved.

The new campus, despite the absence of a funding plan or even space to build, would be operational in just a few years. It would grow to 15,000 students. And, the new president vowed, the city of Phoenix — led by the newly elected mayor — would be an integral partner in the creation of this new state institution.
"We are about the business of building one of the great universities in American history," Crow told hundreds of university leaders, professors and staff in April 2004. "Can you build this university in one place? The answer is, unequivocally, no."
Reaction was mixed. Some expressed deep anxiety, believing programs moved to Phoenix would become irrelevant and wither away. Others were unfazed; they were confident the new campus would never materialize.
Less than two years after Crow's bold proclamation, Phoenix voters approved a $223 million bond to pay for an ASU downtown campus — an unprecedented investment in higher education by a city.
Five months later, the fledgling campus opened.
Today, ASU's downtown Phoenix campus is completing its eighth year with more than 10,000 students — about the same size as the University of San Francisco, Southern Methodist University and the University of Maine. Students learn and live in 11 buildings across a vibrant 20-acre campus that is home to five colleges and 84 degree programs.
In many ways, the creation of the downtown Phoenix campus was a perfect storm: The right leaders, in the right place, at the right time, with a shared vision and a willingness to take risks.
Phil Gordon was mayor for just three months when the plan was announced, but he had been pushing privately for an ASU campus a year earlier. In an October 2003 breakfast meeting with Crow, the pair sketched out the design of a downtown campus on a paper napkin.
Gordon and other city leaders — particularly Greg Stanton, the current mayor who, as chair of the City Council's education subcommittee, was a major player in the ASU plan — were convinced that infusing a critical mass of people into the urban core would breathe much-needed life into an area that mostly shut down after business hours. A university could be the perfect social, cultural and economic remedy.
"It was a big risk," Gordon said. "Would it work? No city had ever done it. Why should a city invest in a university?" The former mayor said both he and Crow "put our futures at risk."
Crow, for his part, badly needed space to grow ASU, and that commodity was quickly running out on the Tempe campus. But the need for more space was just part of his reason for a downtown campus. The new president saw the possibilities of the nation's sixth-largest city serving as a laboratory for aspiring policy makers, health professionals, journalists, social workers and other public-service professionals. And he saw it as a key part of his vision for a "New American University," one in which the university is deeply embedded in the community.
The aspirations for the campus became reality despite the project coming of age amid the worst downturn since the Great Depression. ASU "almost instantly turned around a downtown from a place that closed down after 5 o'clock," Gordon said.
The campus today includes nearly 1,200 students living in a twin 13-story residence hall and another 1,200-plus who live within 5 miles. More than 1,300 faculty and staff work on the downtown campus, and many live nearby as well.
Tax-revenue figures help illustrate the impact of what Jeremy Legg, the city's economic-development program manager, calls "a tale of two cities." From 2005 to 2013, sales-tax revenue was relatively flat citywide, but in the downtown district, it more than doubled — from $4.2 million to $8.7 million annually, according to city data. And those figures do not include the burgeoning area just north of campus between Fillmore and Roosevelt streets.
Construction expenditures have been another economic driver. Investments in campus construction and renovation will be more than $500 million by 2016, and annual operating expenditures are in the $110 million range, according to ASU Senior Vice President Richard Stanley, the project's financial planner from the beginning.
Beyond the numbers, ASU has changed the face and feel of downtown. The area around Central Avenue north of Van Buren Street was, at its best, desolate; at its worst, scary. Civic Space Park, punctuated by an iconic net sculpture, replaced empty lots and abandoned storefronts. New academic buildings that have won national design awards stand where there were once parking lots. Formerly deserted streets now bustle with pedestrian activity. New restaurants and shops are thriving in spaces that were empty for years. Near campus there are new hotels, more new restaurants and a steadily growing nightlife.
The campus has impacted downtown in other ways. Hundreds of students are engaged in internships at nearby government agencies, health clinics, non-profits and media outlets. The College of Nursing and Health Innovation runs two clinics for local residents. The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication covers the city and region with a daily news service and a nightly PBS newscast. The College of Public Programs operates a center that assists local non-profits. And the campus annually hosts hundreds of public events.
Within a few weeks, construction is expected to begin on the Arizona Center for Law and Society, a $129 million project that in 2016 will be home to the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law. Meanwhile, the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts is expected to expand the art studio programs it brought to downtown's Warehouse District earlier this year, a move that Stanton believes will ignite development there.
Stanton and Gordon say the campus has vastly exceeded their high expectations. Yet the city-university partnership has not been duplicated anywhere else, despite increasing financial strains on universities and urban cores in need of economic stimulation. But as the economy strengthens nationally, that may change.
In Florida, state legislators recently set aside $2 million to look at the possibility of building a University of Central Florida campus — with up to 15,000 students — in downtown Orlando.
Officials from other cities have visited to examine the Phoenix-ASU model.
Stanton, who was influenced by his own college experience on an urban campus, Marquette University in Milwaukee, said Phoenix is experiencing an unprecedented revitalization and "this renaissance wouldn't be happening if it weren't for ASU."
"The success of ASU as a university and the success of the city of Phoenix economically, artistically, culturally, are one and the same. Our future is tied to the success of ASU," the mayor said, adding, "We are just getting started."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/opini...town/10109551/

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 5:00 AM

Cancer center south facade is going up

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 6:07 AM
Skyriser

Value engineering strikes again!

Original:

Built:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
The as-built south facade could have been recycled straight from the 1980s (3rd and Earll, 3300 Tower, Central & Thomas, most of Chase Tower, Central Park Square) and has no place in the modern built environment.

Last edited by combusean; Jun 13, 2014 at 6:20 AM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 2:42 PM

[QUOTE=combusean;6616651]Value engineering strikes again!

Original:

Look at the trusses at the top, there may still be that cool facade going up after the glass is done. Those details are kind of like screens that shade the glass.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 3:30 PM

Yeah, I don't think it's done yet.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 3:50 PM
BANNED

Talk about jumping the gun. Let them finish...jeez.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 9:52 PM

I wonder what the idea was/is for the facade on the first 1 or 2 floors? Copper?

I'm hoping this turns out close to the rendering - will easily be my favorite Biomedical building given the simplicity; helps the accents make an impact.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:23 AM

ASU law school prepares to break ground on downtown location

Quote:
Groundbreaking for the Arizona Center for Law and Society is scheduled for July 7, with plans of completion in summer 2016. The first semester of classes in the new building are set for fall 2016, according to the ACLS website.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 2:20 PM

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 5:37 PM

Site work has started for ASU Arizona Center for Law and Society (ACLS) in downtown Phoenix. h/t Anne Ryman

ACLS Media Gallery

ACLS live construction cam

Last edited by MegaBass; Jul 7, 2014 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 7:16 PM

The parking lot is now totally removed. Time for some digging soon!!!!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest