HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #56121  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 6:28 AM
CaliNative CaliNative is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.
We have seen 'Dad' Bailey's small newspaper stand on NLA but I don't believe we have seen this larger 'walk-in' Dad Bailey's newstand.


Here it is.


flickr[/SIZE]

"This was Charles Bailey second business. He worked for years in the luggage business and like a piece of Hollywood fiction, "It's a Wonderful Life" the Fictional Bailey Family almost lost their business. Due to someone not paying the insurance in time. A fire took his business and it was then that he found out someone forgot to pay the insurance. Old enough to retire, but without much money he opened up this newsstand. It thrived and got bigger and he worked there for many years, he lived until he was ninety years old. This is his bigger stand"....David Wayne Bailey


but no mention of an address.



.
^^^^
I see a sign that says "Dad" Bailey sold sandwiches. I think I would have passed on a room temperature egg salad or tuna fish. Rule number 1--never buy a sandwich at a newstand. Doughnuts, maybe. In the back of the shop is a Delaware Punch sign. I know about Hawaiian Punch. What is Delaware Punch? I wonder if Dad would let you peruse the magazines without buying them? Some newstands got annoyed with that. You can understand why. Free riders putting folds and tears in the merchandise. Not good. Especially not for the girlie magazines. After 5 minutes dad would probably say "are you going to buy that?"

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 18, 2020 at 7:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56122  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 6:41 AM
Noir_Noir Noir_Noir is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 324



A selection of the magazines and comics on display in the walk-in newsstand.

Almost all of them dating from April 1941.


Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56123  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 6:59 AM
CaliNative CaliNative is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post



A selection of the magazines and comics on display in the walk-in newsstand.

Almost all of them dating from April 1941.


Wow, some of those comics are worth a bundle (or should I say a bitcoin?) now! The Blue Beetle never hit the big time. I wonder what his superpowers were? Squirting annoying, acrid and stinky substances?

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 18, 2020 at 7:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56124  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 8:09 AM
Beaudry's Avatar
Beaudry Beaudry is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 676
Speaking of olde-tymie magazines!

Now normally I wouldn't use this platform for naked self-promotion buuuut...I produced something that readers here might get a kick out of, which is a) about Old LA, including much architecture and b) does after all have noir in the title, just like our beloved thread.

Behold, Bunker Noir! A 56-page, full-color magazine, designed in the style of the vintage pulps of yore, specifically about historic crime and weird goings-on atop vanished Bunker Hill.



Should you be inclined to pick one up, you may do so here.

Some representative shots of the interior:





Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56125  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 11:59 AM
Noir_Noir Noir_Noir is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

As a reminder here is 'Dad' Bailey's original newstand.



flickr

skyscraperpage

This smaller stand was thought to be on or near Florence in South Los Angeles close to USC.

.

Here's another picture of Charles "Dad" Bailey next to his first smaller stand.



David Wayne Bailey - flickr


On the building behind him is an arrow and number pointing to 7115 ½ .




Pretty much the only 7115 ½, I could find in the CDs.


rescarta.lapl.org


7115 S. Main Street is still there ... right by Florence Ave. not far from USC.

Dad Bailey's would have stood in the red box right by 7115 S. Main Street.



Google Maps



GSV


It may have started out life as a fruit stand until "Dad" Bailey came along.


Here's a 1922 permit application for the moving of a fruit stand from 4723 Moneta Ave. to 7115 S. Main Street.



ladbsdoc.lacity.org
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56126  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 1:48 PM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post

In the back of the shop is a Delaware Punch sign. I know about Hawaiian Punch. What is Delaware Punch?
Here's a summary of what I found at www.candycarrollton.com:

Delaware Punch is a fruit-flavored soft drink. Its formula uses a blend of fruit flavors, with grape being the most prominent. It is non-carbonated and caffeine-free.

Delaware Punch was created by Thomas E. Lyons in 1913 and the brand is currently owned by The Coca-Cola Company.

Delaware Punch is still sold in some grocery stores in Louisiana, Arkansas, and south Texas, and some restaurants in Houston.

Delaware Punch was commonly sold at the New Orleans drug store chain K&B, before it was bought by Rite Aid in 1997. Delaware Punch is named for the Delaware grape from which its flavor is derived. The grape is native to Delaware County, Ohio, and the drink therefore has no affiliation with the state of Delaware.
It's also available from several online retailers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56127  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 4:10 PM
Earl Boebert Earl Boebert is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Here's a summary of what I found at www.candycarrollton.com:

Delaware Punch is a fruit-flavored soft drink. Its formula uses a blend of fruit flavors, with grape being the most prominent. It is non-carbonated and caffeine-free.

Delaware Punch was created by Thomas E. Lyons in 1913 and the brand is currently owned by The Coca-Cola Company.

Delaware Punch is still sold in some grocery stores in Louisiana, Arkansas, and south Texas, and some restaurants in Houston.

Delaware Punch was commonly sold at the New Orleans drug store chain K&B, before it was bought by Rite Aid in 1997. Delaware Punch is named for the Delaware grape from which its flavor is derived. The grape is native to Delaware County, Ohio, and the drink therefore has no affiliation with the state of Delaware.
It's also available from several online retailers.
I drank gallons of the stuff when I was going through AF OTS at Lackland AFB in Texas during the summer of '62. Tasted great after marching around in that godawful heat, and the lack of fizz made it easy on the stomach. Sort of a primitive Gatorade. Surprising to see it was available in LA, maybe demand was from people moving to LA from the Southland.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56128  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 5:07 PM
CaliNative CaliNative is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Here's a summary of what I found at www.candycarrollton.com:

Delaware Punch is a fruit-flavored soft drink. Its formula uses a blend of fruit flavors, with grape being the most prominent. It is non-carbonated and caffeine-free.

Delaware Punch was created by Thomas E. Lyons in 1913 and the brand is currently owned by The Coca-Cola Company.

Delaware Punch is still sold in some grocery stores in Louisiana, Arkansas, and south Texas, and some restaurants in Houston.

Delaware Punch was commonly sold at the New Orleans drug store chain K&B, before it was bought by Rite Aid in 1997. Delaware Punch is named for the Delaware grape from which its flavor is derived. The grape is native to Delaware County, Ohio, and the drink therefore has no affiliation with the state of Delaware.
It's also available from several online retailers.
Thanks Hoss. Hoss the answer man. "Hoss" Cartwright was everyone's favorite Ponderosa brother back in the old days.

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 18, 2020 at 5:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56129  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 5:09 PM
CaliNative CaliNative is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
I drank gallons of the stuff when I was going through AF OTS at Lackland AFB in Texas during the summer of '62. Tasted great after marching around in that godawful heat, and the lack of fizz made it easy on the stomach. Sort of a primitive Gatorade. Surprising to see it was available in LA, maybe demand was from people moving to LA from the Southland.
Sounds refreshing. Hoss says Coke owns it, so it still must be available. Curious to try it. Good enough for Dad, good enough for me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56130  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 6:52 PM
quickstop quickstop is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 13
I buy this, same recipe with real sugar in glass bottles, not cheap but only get a few bottles a year. I also drank gallons as a kid and this tastes exactly the same

https://sodapopstop.com/shop/classic...ylvania-punch/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56131  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 4:50 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 15,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post

On the building behind him is an arrow and number pointing to 7115 ½ .



7115 S. Main Street is still there...right by Florence Ave. not far from USC.

Dad Bailey's would have stood in the red box right by 7115 S. Main Street.

One of the best examples of sleuthing to be found anywhere. Fantastic job, Noir Noir.

David Wayne Bailey would love to have this information.


Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56132  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 5:12 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 15,051
,
This is interesting.

I never gave a minute's thought to where offices of a drive-in theater chain might be located.

Well here's the answer.


eBay

Pacific Drive-In Theatres at 141 - 143 South Robertson Blvd., Los Angeles. (1957)

The date is interesting as well. The number of drive-ins peaked the next year (1958) at 4,063 theaters.


.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 19, 2020 at 5:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56133  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 6:40 AM
sadykadie2 sadykadie2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
^^^^
I see a sign that says "Dad" Bailey sold sandwiches. I think I would have passed on a room temperature egg salad or tuna fish. Rule number 1--never buy a sandwich at a newstand. Doughnuts, maybe. In the back of the shop is a Delaware Punch sign. I know about Hawaiian Punch. What is Delaware Punch? I wonder if Dad would let you peruse the magazines without buying them? Some newstands got annoyed with that. You can understand why. Free riders putting folds and tears in the merchandise. Not good. Especially not for the girlie magazines. After 5 minutes dad would probably say "are you going to buy that?"
Delaware punch was pure heaven. It had a tang to it. The taste of my childhood--the 1970's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_Punch
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56134  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 6:48 AM
sadykadie2 sadykadie2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Speaking of olde-tymie magazines!

Now normally I wouldn't use this platform for naked self-promotion buuuut...I produced something that readers here might get a kick out of, which is a) about Old LA, including much architecture and b) does after all have noir in the title, just like our beloved thread.

Behold, Bunker Noir! A 56-page, full-color magazine, designed in the style of the vintage pulps of yore, specifically about historic crime and weird goings-on atop vanished Bunker Hill.



Should you be inclined to pick one up, you may do so here.

Some representative shots of the interior:






That is cool 7 ways till Sunday! Already bought the Bunker Hill hardback. It's priceless!

Last edited by sadykadie2; Dec 20, 2020 at 6:51 AM. Reason: I wanted to add something
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56135  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 8:17 AM
ProphetM ProphetM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickstop View Post
I buy this, same recipe with real sugar in glass bottles, not cheap but only get a few bottles a year. I also drank gallons as a kid and this tastes exactly the same

https://sodapopstop.com/shop/classic...ylvania-punch/
By the way, this is the web site for Galco's on York Blvd. at 57th Ave. (just a few blocks west of that Garvanza Villa that was told about a few pages back), so any local Angelenos can just go down to Galco's and pick some up, as well as innumerable other sodas in glass bottles.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56136  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 1:43 PM
CaliNative CaliNative is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadykadie2 View Post
Delaware punch was pure heaven. It had a tang to it. The taste of my childhood--the 1970's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_Punch
Sounds pretty good. An uncarbonated grape drink. Maybe just mix Welches grape juice with water? Or are there other fruit juices besides grape? Seems like Coca Cola could distribute more of it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56137  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 8:34 PM
GaylordWilshire's Avatar
GaylordWilshire GaylordWilshire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Speaking of olde-tymie magazines!

Now normally I wouldn't use this platform for naked self-promotion buuuut...I produced something that readers here might get a kick out of, which is a) about Old LA, including much architecture and b) does after all have noir in the title, just like our beloved thread.

Behold, Bunker Noir! A 56-page, full-color magazine, designed in the style of the vintage pulps of yore, specifically about historic crime and weird goings-on atop vanished Bunker Hill.


Well, Prudent, I can't help but notice what appears to be a Model 102 on your desk. Here are my own WE relics, still operational on a copper line:



As for your BH book and magazine--I'm expecting them under the tree illustrated below, but if I'm disappointed, I'll be back in touch.


Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56138  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 9:14 PM
CaliNative CaliNative is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadykadie2 View Post
Delaware punch was pure heaven. It had a tang to it. The taste of my childhood--the 1970's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_Punch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Speaking of olde-tymie magazines!

Now normally I wouldn't use this platform for naked self-promotion buuuut...I produced something that readers here might get a kick out of, which is a) about Old LA, including much architecture and b) does after all have noir in the title, just like our beloved thread.

Behold, Bunker Noir! A 56-page, full-color magazine, designed in the style of the vintage pulps of yore, specifically about historic crime and weird goings-on atop vanished Bunker Hill.



Should you be inclined to pick one up, you may do so here.

Some representative shots of the interior:





^^^

Looks intriguing, but is it all crime focused (as noir usually is) since noir means dark or black? Do you plan to some have stories on "feel good" non-crime stories as well from the "noir" era in L.A., as this very blog by ethereal reality often does? Many people (even during the Depression) lived ordinary and often happy lives back then, as we do now ( at least until the pandemic hit). How much do you plan to charge? Will it be available online as well as paper? Good work! Thanks Beaudry! Hope you do well with this.

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 20, 2020 at 9:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56139  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 9:34 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Speaking of olde-tymie magazines!

Now normally I wouldn't use this platform for naked self-promotion buuuut...I produced something that readers here might get a kick out of...

If you don't use THIS forum for naked self-promotion you'd be insane! I didn't know about this (or the earlier book) until you mentioned them here on NLA, and I thank you for doing so!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56140  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 12:59 AM
Beaudry's Avatar
Beaudry Beaudry is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Well, Prudent, I can't help but notice what appears to be a Model 102 on your desk. Here are my own WE relics, still operational on a copper line:

I do love my 102 with the E1 handset! Though my wife has me unplug it because the bell box is so loud it shakes the whole house. You've got quite the collection! And the 500 set is BUtterfield 8, of course!

Well if we're on the subject (and pardon the slovenly housekeeping, we haven't had guests since the Ides of March after all)...


Here's the 300 set that's in my boy's room. He's 12, so doesn't really get it, but does think it's cool that we can still make phone calls when the electricity goes out.

An American Electric Monophone extension line in the wife's dressing room

A Stromberg Carlson, I think

A Kellogg Masterphone in the library

In the canning room off the furnace room. One of these days I'm going to be hit by a bus and my wife is gonna have a hell of a yard sale.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:56 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.