HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

W Philadelphia & Element Philadelphia Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1 View Post
May sound dumb, what building is the RATR

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
http://www.phillyliving.com/blog/ccr...ent-hotel.html

No new details here, still says work starts this "autumn" which suggests within the next 3 months. I am sort of surprised that there is demand for 750 new rooms in CC but Im sure the lenders know more than I do. 51 floors sounds good to me though.
Related read

http://www.aahoalodging.biz/communit...ntion+Host/371

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 9:08 PM

Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
The new Dillworth Park looks great compared to what was there before! Can't wait until it's done done.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 9:13 PM

Btw it is done lol. Or maybe your just joking, but the W is going to be tall.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1 View Post
Btw it is done lol. Or maybe your just joking, but the W is going to be tall.
Well I just meant the lawn and south end are not finished yet, but they will be soon.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 2:54 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Incredible pic TallCoolOne!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 4:38 AM

Quote:
http://www.phillyliving.com/blog/ccr...ent-hotel.html

No new details here, still says work starts this "autumn" which suggests within the next 3 months. I am sort of surprised that there is demand for 750 new rooms in CC but Im sure the lenders know more than I do. 51 floors sounds good to me though.
By the time this is complete the Convention Center will be in full swing with its new work-related rules. There have been some very big conventions to commit to the convention center over the next 3-4 years.

This hotel would serve well to a range of convention goers.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 1:19 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
By the time this is complete the Convention Center will be in full swing with its new work-related rules. There have been some very big conventions to commit to the convention center over the next 3-4 years.

This hotel would serve well to a range of convention goers.
Next year we are having our annual convention at the Convention Center. It would have been great to have the W opened for service by then.

-sb

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 3:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Next year we are having our annual convention at the Convention Center. It would have been great to have the W opened for service by then.
they could be aiming to have it complete in time for the 2016 dem national convention, but that seems to be a stretch

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
I love that rendering.
It's pretty daring for Philly. I love it! Right now I feel like University City is out-edgying Center City with Cira Centre and the Evo. I'd love to see some more experimental skyscrapers downtown.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 11:50 PM

I think CITC is edgy, but yeah right now uni is winning.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 12:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
It's pretty daring for Philly. I love it! Right now I feel like University City is out-edgying Center City with Cira Centre and the Evo. I'd love to see some more experimental skyscrapers downtown.
Lets hope many of these proposed CC projects actually start late 2014 or early 2013. But in terms of design, much of what has been proposed is indeed pretty conservative. I think SLS would be the exception in terms of CC proposals. I like the 5th and Walnut renderings as well, but its not really an exciting design.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Lets hope many of these proposed CC projects actually start late 2014 or early 2013. But in terms of design, much of what has been proposed is indeed pretty conservative. I think SLS would be the exception in terms of CC proposals. I like the 5th and Walnut renderings as well, but its not really an exciting design.
New York builds vertical squares, we build vertical rectangles. In terms of aesthetics, one looks sleek and inspiring, the other - clunky and stumpy. Almost every building under construction in Uni City feels clunky, good infill, but aesthetically most of these buildings are about as interesting looking as a Toyota Corolla.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Philly has some pretty great low rise and mid rise architecture, but I guess the taller you go the riskier the endeavor. Personally, I love Liberty Place and the Mellon Building but they were never really edgy. I guess I'd just like to see more 800-900 footers dilute the 90s-ness of the skyline. I read something on Curbed about the heigh limits being relaxed in neighborhoods like Old City and as far south as Washington Ave. I don't think the bill has gone through yet, but that could really alter the skyline if developers are willing to build big outside "downtown." If Market East gets its act together maybe we'll someday see a 900 footer on the Disney Hole.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
New York builds vertical squares, we build vertical rectangles. In terms of aesthetics, one looks sleek and inspiring, the other - clunky and stumpy. Almost every building under construction in Uni City feels clunky, good infill, but aesthetically most of these buildings are about as interesting looking as a Toyota Corolla.
I guess I was thinking mainly of the Cira Centre, Evo, and FMC. The Radian is pretty wild even though it's not really a high-rise. And that other dorm Erdy McHenry built for Drexel. But yeah, some of the infill is pretty dull.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondertwinalpha View Post
The new Dillworth Park looks great compared to what was there before! Can't wait until it's done done.
Except for the trees. It will be nice when these baby ones grow and more are planted on the side that's still under construction. I, too, can't wait for them to finish the lawn and for construction to be done!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 10:26 AM

Am I the only one who thinks the lawn at the new plaza is boring? I mean I sort of liked the concrete and the steps ect of the old plaza it looked neat. But I do like the fountains and glass slanted entrance.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the lawn at the new plaza is boring? I mean I sort of liked the concrete and the steps ect of the old plaza it looked neat. But I do like the fountains and glass slanted entrance.
I love it from the renderings, but don't think we can really assess until it's actually done. There is enough concrete there. Need some grass! Agree on the fountains and glass. They look great.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 5:03 PM

now listed as a location on the w website

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotel...language=en_US

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 5:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
now listed as a location on the w website

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotel...language=en_US
I suppose that is progress. All we need now is for that parking lot to close.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive