HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Arthaus in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Article about this and a zoning notice on site!

http://www.phillyliving.com/blog/zon...rden-site.html
I sent CurbedPhilly pictures of the zoning notice I took back near the beginning of August, and they did a post on it. You can zoom in and see the actual notice. It's dating 7/14, but they didn't put up till a few days after that. They're up the length of the property from utrecht to the church,

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 10:26 PM

Sorry to disappoint you guys, but Carl Dranoff said Spring 2015 for this project to break ground.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfood View Post
Sorry to disappoint you guys, but Carl Dranoff said Spring 2015 for this project to break ground.
Hey, not so bad. We have so many other projects to keep us busy until next Spring.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfood View Post
We can wait

Glad to know it's coming. Looks like he will have two projects rising simultaneously.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Next up for Dranoff on the Avenue is the SLS International Hotel and Residences. Announced to much fanfare in 2013, the Kohn Pedersen Fox-designed hotel-condo tower will be the city's tallest residential building as well as the tallest building on Broad Street. Although things have been quiet since the announcement, Dranoff said he is ready to roll with the project.

"The SLS Hotel and Residences will break ground next year, and this will completely change the character of South Broad Street," he said. "Unless you've been to an SLS hotel in another part of the country, you have no idea how much glamour they will be putting on the street." SLS owner sbe currently operates hotels in Los Angeles, Miami Beach and Las Vegas, with a fourth set to open in New York next year. The Philadelphia property, set to open in 2016, will be the chain's fifth and its second to combine hotel rooms and residences.

And in keeping with the formula that has brought Dranoff success on South Broad thus far, restaurants will be a key component of the project. "Most hotels get two-thirds of their revenue from room rentals and one-third from food and beverage sales," he said. "They're the opposite of that, because their restaurants are so over-the-top, they're incredible."

And Dranoff won't be done with South Broad Street when SLS opens, either. "We have other buildings in mind on South Broad, but we're not ready to disclose what they are," he said.
http://www.phillyliving.com/blog/dra...-the-arts.html

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 4:09 PM

"And Dranoff won't be done with South Broad Street when SLS opens, either. "We have other buildings in mind on South Broad, but we're not ready to disclose what they are," he said."

My reaction ...
[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I maintain that I'd like see a nice highrise replace that hideous parking lot next to Perch Pub and right by the Bellevue. Aside from SLS, Dranoff is not winning any design awards from me. His buildings generally range from meh to hideous (Symphony House). But he's learned a few things since those early days. And while I don't love his buildings, I DO love that he IS building. And trying to force areas of the city to evolve and improve.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I maintain that I'd like see a nice highrise replace that hideous parking lot next to Perch Pub and right by the Bellevue. Aside from SLS, Dranoff is not winning any design awards from me. His buildings generally range from meh to hideous (Symphony House). But he's learned a few things since those early days. And while I don't love his buildings, I DO love that he IS building. And trying to force areas of the city to evolve and improve.
I do love SLS. I've had some great nights there in other cities. It's going to do great things for the street. Nice that it will be open before 2018 too (unlike some other trendy hotels opening around these parts. cough)

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 9:22 PM

Just saw on the news that the Philadelphia International Records letters are being removed and the building will soon see demolition.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Just saw on the news that the Philadelphia International Records letters are being removed and the building will soon see demolition.
That's what happens when YOU become a moderator.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 9:39 PM

The news segment on the sign removal.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/video...oved/279296832

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 9:40 PM
Philly Rising Up!

@summersm

With great powers come great responsibilities...

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 12:29 AM

I feel as if this hotel is a really defining moment for Philly because many of the SLS hotels are in the Entertainment/Party capitals (LA, Miami, Las Vegas, NYC) of the US and its cool that SBE (company who owns SLS hotels) considers Philly to be one

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 10:53 AM

What are everyone's thoughts on date of completion? I think they originally said 2016. But that seems unlikely/impossible if actual construction starts this spring

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 12:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
What are everyone's thoughts on date of completion? I think they originally said 2016. But that seems unlikely/impossible if actual construction starts this spring
You are probably correct. Id think at least 2 years from groundbreaking to opening.

Having this hotel plus a W will be good for city's image amongst potential visitors. Increasingly we are getting brands that are only found in NYC, LA, DC, Chicago and Miami. That's pretty good company when you think about how many major cities there are in the US.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 1:23 PM

Quote:
As of right now it should be slated for a late December 2014 / early January 2015 start and finishing middle of 2017.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 5:46 PM

Article on the removal of the letters from Curbed
http://philly.curbed.com/archives/20...gn-is-down.php

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructStudent View Post
As of right now it should be slated for a late December 2014 / early January 2015 start and finishing middle of 2017.
Makes sense on 2017. December or January is the slated start date for demolition?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Makes sense on 2017. December or January is the slated start date for demolition?
No demolition is going to be starting within the next upcoming weeks. December or January will start site work.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructStudent View Post
No demolition is going to be starting within the next upcoming weeks. December or January will start site work.
Ah. Great!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive