HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 2:48 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Judging by the FB photos it's here

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.04590...7i13312!8i6656

628 8th Avenue SW

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 3:23 AM
ARTchitecture

Yup, the new bar will be called "Backwards"... it'll be nice to finally have a gay club option that isn't Twisted. Pretty much the worst club I've ever been to. Currently my only gay night life option is Backlot (which I love).

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 2:29 PM

I haven't been to Backlot in years! But when I went, it was a super friendly, chill lounge type atmosphere with an outdoor patio open in the summer. Is it still the same?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 2:35 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I haven't been to Backlot in years! But when I went, it was a super friendly, chill lounge type atmosphere with an outdoor patio open in the summer. Is it still the same?
Pretty much the same yeah when Eagle closed a lot of the guys came over to Backlot. Being young I get the googly-eyes directed at me fairly often, but that just comes with the territory, I'm used to it now.

Backlot does drag shows pretty much every Friday now, always busy on the weekends.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 7:26 PM
ARTchitecture

Last night's 16-act drag show at Backlot... so much fun!

Source: Me

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:24 PM
Here and There

The new backwards night club is hideous. Sorry, but I'm calling an ugly duckling an ugly duckling.........way to take a perfectly good space (formerly downtown food) and destroy it! Hint. Hire some of Calgary' talented interior designers. Barny the dinosaur purple and red walls.....complete with wavy drywall cornices? Really? Really? Plus, you can only get in with a 200 dollar minimum membership? They should pay me to come in. Haha. .......and membership prices go higher too.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 8:17 PM

Yeah I really think that charging 200$ is ridiculous. I guess I won't be going there now thanks to that, and is it ever gonna be opened anyways?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 8:56 PM
ARTchitecture

Don't worry guys, apparently a couple of other bars are in the works.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 9:15 PM
Here and There

This is the before renovations image:

This is near the end of the new renovations. Did I mention that there is barney purple as well?? Talk about ruining a perfectly good space:

Pro tip: Hire a designer next time if you expect people to buy a membership for $200.00

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 9:50 PM

Maybe they are going for a Pee-Wee's playhouse type of vibe? We will have to see if Chair shows up in the corner.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 2:54 PM
Here and There

There is no fixing it either. Its a complete tear out for the next person who buys it.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 7:30 PM
ARTchitecture

I'm starting a gay inclusive rugby team in Calgary called the Calgary Rockies Rugby Football Club, this team will join Toronto's Muddy York RFC, Ottawa's Wolves RFC, and the Montreal Armada RFC in the International Gay Rugby League representing Canada. It will be the first inclusive team in Western Canada and will hopefully light a fire under Vancouver's butt to get one going. It'll be the first team to join the Calgary Rugby Union in at least a decade.

If any of you know any guys, gay or straight, in the Calgary region that might be interested in playing rugby, send me a PM with some details and I'll get in touch We need as much support as we can get in these early days. First training session is in late July and we will be offering training from all levels, beginner to expert, as our coach has been in the sport for 20 years and is a national level rugby referee.

Here's the second prototype of the team logo and the jersey we're going to be getting for the team...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Pro tip: Hire a designer next time if you expect people to buy a membership for $200.00
Is there really a $200 membership fee for the nightclub entrance?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 3:45 AM
ARTchitecture

The Calgary Rockies Inclusive Rugby Football Club finally had our inaugural practice yesterday! Our next practice will be this Friday followed by a BBQ at my house. If anyone is interested in learning rugby and joining the team, please message me on here

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 6:29 PM

Finally got the chance to go to backwards on pride. Was a very nice setting compared to twisted.... Finally!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 3:02 PM
Laura Palmer

Calgary Police are not permitted to have uniforms, firearms, vehicles in this years pride parade.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...orms-1.4222363

Any thoughts from the gay community? Maybe there are some SJW's on here that want to in their two cents.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation