HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 10:49 PM

Lots of stuff...

I guess I forgot that the gigantic project at Broad and Spring Garden is a pre-fab, modular project. The puzzle pieces right now are all mostly focused on the Broad Street facing side. A few pieces are missing, they have numbered markings to ensure proper placement.

Across the street the Canno designed project is now at the drilling stages:
if you forgot, here's the CDR: https://www.phila.gov/media/20191120...3-2019-CDR.pdf

2100 Hamilton looks pretty good:

Sooo is this project near the Granary Apts and Kite and Key bar finally starting? I lived in the hood' about 5 years ago when it was supposed to start...

Old Posted Aug 21, 2021, 12:49 PM

that gap on callowhill is long overdue to be filled, it really makes no sense to have that dead spot there so close to the parkway and downtown.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2021, 2:44 PM
Philly Pholly

Any renderings of this project near the Granary Apts?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2021, 11:23 PM
Chris

Good to see a parking lot go, but that Broad & Spring Garden project is so disappointing, so cheap looking. Maybe it will have a short lifespan and be replaced with something better in 2050.

The condo building behind the Rodin turned out better than I thought.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2021, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Any renderings of this project near the Granary Apts?
Unfortunately, it's pretty ugly IMO. Going to be called "The Baldwin"

Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Unfortunately, it's pretty ugly IMO. Going to be called "The Baldwin"
How dare such an ugly design use the namesake of such a great man.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 3:23 AM
Philly Pholly

Thank you
Yeah cookie cutter in what appears to be a prominent location.
Always a little scary when the renderings are so cold

Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 11:57 AM

Can we pass a ban on plastic and vinyl exteriors? Philly is ready for better quality construction materials.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 1:20 PM

^here’s a website for The Baldwin - very little info. https://www.thebaldwin1825.com/

Also, this project only appears to be taking up maybe 1/3 of the lot… still lots of ground left.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 3:44 PM

2100 Hamilton has a lighting scheme. I don’t have pictures but there were lights running along the bottom of the balconies being tested a couple of days ago.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 10:19 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
Can we pass a ban on plastic and vinyl exteriors? Philly is ready for better quality construction materials.
I'll sign any petition for this.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 1:08 PM

Over the weekend, I noticed that the following demolition permit was issued:

Quote:
ZP-2021-009999
Aug 21, 2021
1701 FAIRMOUNT AVE, Philadelphia, PA 19130-2811
DAJ 1701 FAIRMOUNT PARTNE 5
Complete demolition of 1701-09 Fairmount Ave
I just checked the property history and noticed that, on July 30th, a permit was also issued to seal the sewage lateral. It looks like something is finally happening at the NW corner of 17th and Fairmount after nearly four years! The last zoning permit called for the erection of a 45' building.

It's going to suck to lose Stone's in the meantime, however, as they are an asset to the neighborhood. They also have one of the best selections of craft beer in the city. I hope they'll be able to relocate to a nearby space, hopefully on either Fairmount or Ridge Avenues!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 2:40 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Over the weekend, I noticed that the following demolition permit was issued:

I just checked the property history and noticed that, on July 30th, a permit was also issued to seal the sewage lateral. It looks like something is finally happening at the NW corner of 17th and Fairmount after nearly four years! The last zoning permit called for the erection of a 45' building.

It's going to suck to lose Stone's in the meantime, however, as they are an asset to the neighborhood. They also have one of the best selections of craft beer in the city. I hope they'll be able to relocate to a nearby space, hopefully on either Fairmount or Ridge Avenues!
From 4 years ago at the Naked City blog: http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...17th-fairmount

At that time Stone's indicated they would return to commercial space in the new construction. I don't know whether that's still to be the case.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Can we pass a ban on plastic and vinyl exteriors?....
Only if you want to halt the building boom in Philadelphia for good.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Certain neighborhoods it’s fine. And back of houses fine. But we shouldn’t be seeing these materials in Fairmount, NoLibs, Fishtown, etc at this point given the price points. So maybe the ban needs to be properties with value over $500k or something like that.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 5:20 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I don't think it would hurt the boom. Plenty of other City Hall nonsense could hurt the boom over material mandates. I agree with ScreamShatter, requiring certain materials in high return neighborhoods or at least for street facing facades, or for large projects.

Quote:
Certain neighborhoods it’s fine. And back of houses fine. But we shouldn’t be seeing these materials in Fairmount, NoLibs, Fishtown, etc at this point given the price points. So maybe the ban needs to be properties with value over $500k or something like that.
Agree with neighborhood exceptions and non-street frontage facades. Anywhere in Greater City City at the very least should have a level of material mandates. Could be in exchange for additional height or density. Plenty of ways to make it work, just requires effort from those in charge.

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Aug 23, 2021 at 5:31 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
I don't think it would hurt the boom. Plenty of other City Hall nonsense could hurt the boom over material mandates....
I was being facetious.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 7:40 PM

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 8:28 PM

Quote:
two houses on the same block, one has a great exterior and the other one has the usual mix of junk panels and cheap windows and lack of a design. But the 2nd house has a sexy kitchen and a fancy bath, where the first one is just OK. Which will sell first and for a greater amount? I bet it would be the 2nd one.
As long as buyers are willing to buy cheap shit, then the builders will continue to find new lows in their quest to cut costs. Fortunately there are still some developers who care alittle bit.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 12:19 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
two houses on the same block, one has a great exterior and the other one has the usual mix of junk panels and cheap windows and lack of a design. But the 2nd house has a sexy kitchen and a fancy bath, where the first one is just OK. Which will sell first and for a greater amount? I bet it would be the 2nd one.
As long as buyers are willing to buy cheap shit, then the builders will continue to find new lows in their quest to cut costs. Fortunately there are still some developers who care alittle bit.
If we passed a mandate requiring better materials in certain neighborhoods it would probably

1: Raise prices more or make the neighborhood exclusive to only high income people.

2: Just like the example citywide gave we will see better exteriors and the inside will be lacking because they put all the money on the outside, or if the developer really cares they will put effort into a flip/new construction because its a passion as well as the bonus of money.

3: Very Unlikely but it could cause developers to seek other neighborhoods causing booms in neighborhoods without the mandate.

All my opinion though no fact with these just an observation on how people act when money is on the line.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development