HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 10:53 PM

1111 Travis: by mlyoung83 on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 4:01 AM

That building is one of the best-kept secrets in Downtown. You can't see the cranes from the freeway.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by econik View Post
I wonder where they got the idea to do the building in the shape of a rectangle? Its brilliant. And the blue glass facade must have taken them months to come up with.
Yeah. Pretty soon, they're going to come up with something really daring - like wrapping five floors of apartments around a garage.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
How tall will this sucker be? Looks spectacular!
Looks almost exactly like the Salesforce Tower in San Francisco.. except i think this one has a better facade design.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Wells, this is 7200 Main. Was waiting for someone on HAIF to come along and confirm whether it's an official project or not. HOK has it listed as an ongoing project.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...-at-7200-main/
oops, meant to reply to this post... its pretty

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 7:38 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

If that actually happens...it looks like an incredible project!

Especially in it's proposed location. A building like that could go up in Uptown or Downtown and it wouldn't be as noticeable but this thing would really help anchor the general TMC-DT main street/red Line corridor.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
If that actually happens...it looks like an incredible project!

Especially in it's proposed location. A building like that could go up in Uptown or Downtown and it wouldn't be as noticeable but this thing would really help anchor the general TMC-DT main street/red Line corridor.
I agree. Like the "Transco Tower" (if you prefer "Williams Tower") is to Uptown/Galleria, this would function as a landmark for the Med Center -- sorely needed!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 9:40 PM

The Perennial: Minor design changes made.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
That building is one of the best-kept secrets in Downtown. You can't see the cranes from the freeway.
You can see one of the cranes coming in from I-45 S, and the building is being construction in the center of downtown.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 10:49 PM

Old Texaco HQ Project

Crane going up today at the old Texaco bldg. Wondering if this is for the new tower. Didn't think that was to happen till after the restoration in progress is complete. Big crane! San Jacinto blocked off.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
You can see one of the cranes coming in from I-45 S, and the building is being construction in the center of downtown.
I think because it's in the center of a cluster of highrises, it can only be seen from certain directions. Ah, well.

As for the tweaking of the Perennial, I sense that the architects start out with bold plans, then chicken out and build something more pedestrian. The rumored elimination of the twist in the Hermann helix highrise was the first hint.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 8:06 AM

From my knowledge phase one has a parking garage, so I guess that is what the crane is for.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 2:45 PM

I suppose it could be needed as they progress with phase underway, but it's for more than a garage as it's many stories taller than both buildings. The old building on main being rehabed and converted to a Marriott required no such crane, so I'mcurious. They're finishing up today. The planned building is attractive. So much going on in immediate blocks, maybe they sped up schedule. Though parking not yet banned, the block across, the Houston Center addition, now has promotional banners posted on fence surrounding!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsalanrush View Post
I suppose it could be needed as they progress with phase underway, but it's for more than a garage as it's many stories taller than both buildings. The old building on main being rehabed and converted to a Marriott required no such crane, so I'mcurious. They're finishing up today. The planned building is attractive. So much going on in immediate blocks, maybe they sped up schedule. Though parking not yet banned, the block across, the Houston Center addition, now has promotional banners posted on fence surrounding!
the crane has to be taller than the other Texaco Buildings so it can pivot/rotate around without hitting the tops of any of the buildings. pretty sure its just the garage/podium/retail (unfortunately)

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 4:16 PM

BisNow added a brief note in today's newsletter:

"Richland Cos is planning a new mixed-use HQ for itself, and it’s bringing in major star power. Here are Richland execs Suzanne Klein and Edna Meyer-Nelson with world-renowned architect Zaha Hadid (sitting) and designer Vladimir Kagan discussing the building plans in Miami recently. (She's the architect of the distinctive stadium for the 2022 World Cup.) She's also the first female and the first Muslim architect to win the Pritzker Architecture Prize (equivalent of the Nobel Prize), and has been named one of the most world’s most powerful women by Forbes and one of our most influential thinkers by Time."

No word on how big this property will be.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
BisNow added a brief note in today's newsletter:

"Richland Cos is planning a new mixed-use HQ for itself, and it’s bringing in major star power. Here are Richland execs Suzanne Klein and Edna Meyer-Nelson with world-renowned architect Zaha Hadid (sitting) and designer Vladimir Kagan discussing the building plans in Miami recently. (She's the architect of the distinctive stadium for the 2022 World Cup.) She's also the first female and the first Muslim architect to win the Pritzker Architecture Prize (equivalent of the Nobel Prize), and has been named one of the most world’s most powerful women by Forbes and one of our most influential thinkers by Time."

No word on how big this property will be.
Wow interesting to see a rendering to this! Zaha Hadid does some crazy looking stuff, which is great. Also wondering how tall this might be...

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 6:34 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerSpotter View Post
Wow interesting to see a rendering to this! Zaha Hadid does some crazy looking stuff, which is great. Also wondering how tall this might be...
Where will this be located?

-sb

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 7:06 PM

No idea this is the first we've heard about it.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 7:35 PM

I'm just hoping we're not getting excited about 30k sf.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chron
Record size residential project set to rise downtown

A developer plans to break ground in just a few weeks on perhaps the largest residential tower ever built in downtown Houston, a project symbolic of this city's healthy economy and downtown's emergence as a suddenly sought-after place to call home.

The Texas-size tower is set to rise 40 stories and house 463 apartments built to near-condominium standards, the developers said Monday.

"It's big," said Jack Lee, president of Oakmont Group, which is managing the construction. "It's bigger than any other downtown rental property we know of."

The project, to be called Market Square Tower, will be built just off Market Square Park on the southern half of the block bounded by Preston, Louisiana, Milam and Congress.

Units will range from a 550-square-foot efficiency to a three-bedroom, three-bath apartment with around 1,950 square feet. Rents will range from around $1,700 to $8,800 per month.

Full article: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/busi...hp?cmpid=btfpm

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations