HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 4:28 PM

Good news for the airport with announcement of new 50,000 sq ft VIP hangar and lounge to be built over the next year.

https://lfpress.com/business/local-b...london-airport

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Good news for the airport with announcement of new 50,000 sq ft VIP hangar and lounge to be built over the next year.

https://lfpress.com/business/local-b...london-airport
It's 150,000 sq ft in total.

https://skiesmag.com/press-releases/..._AF8DNNhZbxpf6

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 1:51 AM

Also further info that this will be located at the east end of Huron St on the north side, just to the east of the cargo building.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 2:04 AM

Nothing more to announce? Rather disappointing not having any new routes to unveil.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
Nothing more to announce? Rather disappointing not having any new routes to unveil.
Who needs routes, we got this new VIP hangar coming, beach volleyball coming, they already have a pickleball court out in the parking lot lol.

Definitely been a lack of flight announcements this year. Like many airports, we expected Westjet to maybe up the ante a bit when they shut Swoop down, but I think all we got was an extra Calgary flight 5 days a week. Flair will have Calgary 3 times a week and Vancouver twice a week through the summer months but that looks to be it.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 4:13 PM

2024 has been a terrible year for our airlines with the closure of many ULCCs and the consolidation of Sunwing into WestJet. I don’t expect the announcement of any new routes in smaller regional airports like YXU for a long time.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
2024 has been a terrible year for our airlines with the closure of many ULCCs and the consolidation of Sunwing into WestJet. I don’t expect the announcement of any new routes in smaller regional airports like YXU for a long time.
I think our best bet for something new is Porter to Ottawa, if they can find a route on a Q400 that they can upgrade to an E95 to free up a frame for us (or maybe buy some of the 7 or 8 parked in St Thomas). Maybe possibly to Montreal as well as they build up those 2 hubs. Porter also partnering with Air Transat opens up new opportunities for funneling traffic into YUL as well.

Hopefully we are far enough from Toronto that Air Canada doesn't consider us for their new Landline bus service they are running from Kitchener and Hamilton and cancelling our flights.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 2:31 AM

This may have been covered but I wonder what the potential of London's airport for cargo and industrial products considering it is having a bit of a manufacturing renaissance? I thought that I read somewhere that airports are being used increasingly for assembly parts as it is becoming just as cheap and much faster to ship them by air as by truck?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post
This may have been covered but I wonder what the potential of London's airport for cargo and industrial products considering it is having a bit of a manufacturing renaissance? I thought that I read somewhere that airports are being used increasingly for assembly parts as it is becoming just as cheap and much faster to ship them by air as by truck?
CAMI was getting lots of parts by air prior to their last shutdown and re-tooling. Not sure if the Brightdrop delivery van is as parts intensive and needs as many parts brought in for it as the SUV's they built before. I'm on a FB group that posts a lot of stuff from the airport and I haven't been seeing many cargo flights posted their lately. Plus I'm usually at or around the airport quite frequently for my work and haven't been noticing any DC-9/MD-80 sized freighters in quite a while. There were a couple small cargo planes that I noticed the last couple days, but they were business jet size.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 4:20 AM

Hard to say if YXU can become a major cargo/logistics hub when YHM is just an hour and a half down the road and is working on doing exactly that.

What I am hoping for is a follow up on the news a couple of years ago that Boeing Canada was looking at London for a major investment. Anything related to aviation production or even a major plane maintenance facility at YXU would go a long way.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 1:48 PM

What I'm curious about is the International Test Pilot School had announced a deal to buy about a dozen fighter trainer jets from Korea several years ago to modernize their fleet here but nothing has come of it. Makes me wonder if something might be brewing between them, Boeing and the RCAF, which recently stood down its jet trainer program until their next trainer is brought online. That plane hasn't been picked yet but is widely believed to be the Boeing T-7 Red Hawk. ITPS presently uses old Soviet era L29 and L39 aircraft (as well as a the museum's T-33 and Hawker Hunter on occasion) to train pilots from foreign air forces. I could totally see them partnering up with the RCAF and Boeing on initial jet training for our own pilots. But mostly I think that Boeing visit was more a PR show aimed at reminding the Canadian government that they are here and do big business in this country after their CSeries-Super Hornet spat a few years earlier.

As for cargo, London will always be a bit player compared to Hamilton. We will never pull any of the operations away from Hamilton. Cargojet is based there and they fly almost all of the domestic Purolator, UPS, Canada Post, Amazon and the other smaller courier company air freight from and to there. UPS also flies their international freight into YHM. DHL brings their international into YHM. Fedex is firmly entrenched at Pearson. London is a diversion airport for Cargojet, but they don't handle any freight here, they just refuel the jets and wait out the weather that prevents them from landing in Hamilton.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 12:27 AM

45% increase in passengers last year over 2022, to 332,000, still below half of the peak of 683,000 in 2019. Total aircraft movements also set a new record of 105,000, up 16% over the previous record in 2022, and still well above the pre-covid peak in 2019 of just under 80,000. This is made up on the strength of Western, Fanshawe and ITPS flight schools (the latter are the fighter trainer jets you may see/hear over the city during the day and the pilots are almost exclusively from foreign air forces). Positive news from an economic standpoint for the airport is the various development projects, as mentioned over the last several posts. But, we want to see flights, and who knows where we are going to get those from.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure