HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 3:53 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
But who pays for it? Tesla is outside the city as is most of everything over there except for COTA. Maybe if Travis county wasn't so focused on rural roads.
I can't answer that - all I know is it makes sense to have it. Payment would certainly need to be arranged for anything to ever happen, of course.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 4:35 PM

Well Elon is the richest man in the world...maybe he's gonna foot the bill?

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 4:41 PM

I mean, he could feasibly help with infrastructure (via Boring Co) . . . and he's really pointed to wanting to make the Giga site something of a destination on the river, more than just a car building place.

Dunno, seems plausible.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I mean, he could feasibly help with infrastructure (via Boring Co) . . . and he's really pointed to wanting to make the Giga site something of a destination on the river, more than just a car building place.

Dunno, seems plausible.
What use is Boring? Their entire business model revolves around tunnels that are too small to be of much use to anyone. They don't even use their own machines to dig.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 4:47 PM

Quote:
What use is Boring? Their entire business model revolves around tunnels that are too small to be of much use to anyone. They don't even use their own machines to dig.
Surely they could source a bigger borer, no? Especially if they don't use their own machines . . . .

EDIT: Boring is going to have to expand the model (if they haven't already) to stay solvent. I wouldn't expect them to stay focused solely on Tesla tunnels. Not a lot of demand for that right now.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Surely they could source a bigger borer, no? Especially if they don't use their own machines . . . .
I don't think you understand the Boring company. That's like saying surely apple can open up their iPhones for side loading apps. The entire business plan revolves around easy to build small ass tunnels that don't cost much. If they make bigger tunnels then they no longer are as fast or as cheap and so they become like other tunneling companies that make useful tunnels that cost a lot. The innovation isn't the tunneling, it's suppose to be making 12' diameter tunnels useful which they have not shown they can yet.

https://www.boringcompany.com/products

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 5:11 PM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

Quote:
I don't think you understand the Boring company. That's like saying surely apple can open up their iPhones for side loading apps. The entire business plan revolves around easy to build small ass tunnels that don't cost much. If they make bigger tunnels then they no longer are as fast or as cheap and so they become like other tunneling companies that make useful tunnels that cost a lot. The innovation isn't the tunneling, it's suppose to be making 12' diameter tunnels useful which they have not shown they can yet.

https://www.boringcompany.com/products
My personal theory is that The Boring Company is the loss leader to sell more Tesla cars and/or provide more value to them. Which in turn provides more demand to sell more batteries.

I am personally intrigued if there is some economy to construct roads below ground to ultimately avoid the expense and delays associated with building them above ground, e.g. ROW, utilities, phasing existing traffic, etc.

Somewhat unique to our area is my understanding of the constraint that prohibits any I-35 funds to HOT/tolled lane(s) development. As recent history in this country/state has shown, HOV usage tends to underutilize the "managed" lane. But if you can offer a "free" express component to, say, a battery-powered, autonomous vehicle, it could be an interesting use of that capacity.

Beyond that, to your point, I just don't see many customers shopping for the products on their list. But I'm sure they'd happily sell it to someone if asked, if only to reduce the losses.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 7:20 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Alternative “by others” could also simply mean another team on the project working on a storage yard facility. Evidence in favor: notice that the orange line is also labeled as “by others.”
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 7:51 PM

Maybe they did the unlikely and secured a barn on the Orange line south of 71. That would take the pressure of TxDot finishing the riverside bridge in time for the opening of the whole system which I think is a serious risk depending on how capital express construction goes.

I guess they could get boring to do the underground walkway connections between stations. It would just be so claustrophobic.

Last edited by freerover; May 26, 2021 at 8:02 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The source provided me with the Orange Line route as well. It'll take a while to break that one out into snippets suitable for posting.
So glad you came back to the site. Thanks for everything you do!

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 4:29 AM

This is the first of three posts showing the Orange Line from South Austin to Downtown.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; May 28, 2021 at 5:31 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 4:37 AM

Continuing North towards downtown:

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 4:41 AM

Arriving Downtown. The next series of posts will be from downtown to Tech Ridge.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 4:51 AM

Very cool

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 11:18 AM

I’m assuming that they (confusingly) changed what the colors mean, and Orange now means buried, green means on the surface?

They seem to be taking out more buildings along congress than I expected.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I’m assuming that they (confusingly) changed what the colors mean, and Orange now means buried, green means on the surface?

Yes, it appears they are tunneling all the way to Nellie. That is good news because I figured that was the only way they could do it without blocking streets Downtown for the tunnel portals. I just hope that all stays in budget.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 1:27 PM
World Traveler

I'm confused - is that a split station at Woodward? As in north- and southbound platforms aren't next to each other? Seems strange that they're across an intersection from one another.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I'm confused - is that a split station at Woodward? As in north- and southbound platforms aren't next to each other?
Seems strange that they're across an intersection from one another.
That's very normal.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 1:38 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
That's very normal.
Ok. I'm more familiar with metros in China and other Asian countries since that's where I've used them the most. They're sometimes built with platforms on the outside or between the tracks, but they're always right next to each other.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post

The Stassney station is brutal but they wanted a south Austin line.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin