HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 11:12 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

Smile CLEVELAND - A lot of Whiskey, a lot of Courage

Okay, it's early and my coffee is still kicking in - here are some photos, including the Cuyahoga County Courthouse and Whiskey Island - the Courage bit ... you'll find out.

Starting right off with the Cuyahoga County Courthouse - part of the Daniel Burnham Group Plan of 1903, it took about seven years to build. It's located at the northwest corner of the Group Plan area - Cleveland City Hall occupies the northeast site. Both are similar in scale but the courthouse sports a more decorative facade with Ionic columns and statuary above the north and south pediments representing historical figures in law:

Remember the movie 'The Avengers'? The scene where Loki comes striding down a grand staircase and grabs a guy for his retinal scan? This is that grand staircase - you don't mind if I take a few shots, do you?

Alright, it's just a staircase, let's move on to the mezzanine level:

Well what do you know, it's the staircase again!

Next up, just some random shots of downtown Cleveland - mostly on lunch breaks:

Remember the part about a bit of Courage in the title? As I was walking around the Convention Center's overlook, I noticed some people filming (not uncommon this time of year) but then I saw *who* they were filming. Turns out they were working with Lily Rose Lee (fka Michelle Knight) - one of the three young ladies rescued from their kidnapper a year ago, the others being Gina DeJesus and Amanda Berry. The foundation set up in their honor is called the Cleveland Courage Fund - rightfully so, if you ask me. I didn't want to pry and kept my distance, I just hope she's happy and being taken care of.

Let's get out of downtown - a quick photo of the ongoing demolition of the former Innerbelt bridge:

And finally over to Whiskey Island - specifically Wendy Park:

The area, and the Cuyahoga River in general have been cleaned up a lot since the city's darkest days but there's still a lot of work to be done. A huge kudos to the people who were doing a clean-up that day; a hopeful 'gutting like a fish' to the people doing the illegal dumping.

Always a treat to see watercraft - in this case, Victoriaborg, one of the container ships from Wagenborg Shipping. This is relatively new for the Port of Cleveland, hopefully the business grows. http://www.wagenborg.com/en/our-equi...t/victoriaborg

As the Victoriaborg makes its way into port, there's a little bit of everything to see - nature, boats, people, architecture; my undiagnosed ADHD goes into overdrive every time I come here

Ah, one day it would be great to see the former Coast Guard station repurposed:

Just when I thought I'd call it a day, the Sam Laud ore freighter comes churning down the Cuyahoga

Okay, I know this has been quite a "set"

And I hope we all learn to see the Forest City (one of Cleveland's nicknames) for the trees

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 11:30 AM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Beautiful tour! Thanks!

The grand staircase is amazing. Very nice pictures about it. Cuyahoga County Courthouse is a very nice classic building. I´ve liked all your inside shots.

I´ve liked your pics about those long watercrafts Victoriaborg and Sam Laud too. Fascinating photos and ships!

Cleveland looks a very interesting and varied city. I´d enjoy visiting it.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 1:47 PM
marcus

Love it!

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 2:18 PM

Nice pictures. The courthouse has a nice interior. It's good to see that park being cleaned up. I always have liked areas near water that were kind of cut off from the rest of the city, for some reason.

I've never seen a skywalk with steps before.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 3:01 PM

Nice tour, you did the courthouse justice............

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos