HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 8:02 PM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmidtown View Post
Thank you! I'm glad the 21st and 19th street conversions are their top priorities. There is no convenient north-south route for bikers in Midtown and this will help tremendously. I respect your right to disagree innov8 but do you really think bikers shouldn't have a safe bike lane when traveling up or down 19th and 21st? That traffic on these streets really warrants 3 lanes?
Greenmidtown,

You would love Amsterdam & Berlin. Bikes and bike lanes everywhere. My partner and I rented bikes first day in both cities; we fit right in. The bike lanes are separated from car traffic with raised barriers throughout the city. In Amsterdam, bikes out number cars. The streets are narrow and streetcars run everywhere.

On another note: Compare Stuttgart with Sacramento; cities & metros areas are exactly the same size. Difference: Since WWII, with American dollars, Stuttgart put all their efforts into subways, streetcars, lightrail, heavyrail. No freeways, 4-lane autobahns connecting with major cities, but no freeways.

They have absoultely no urban sprawl, green wide open spaces immediately outside the city, pedestrian malls that are fabulous and filled with TONS of people.

They have no suburban malls...its as if you took Sunrise Mall, Roseville galleria, Arden Fair...and put all that retail on two parallel pedestrian malls, its like London or Paris or Santa Monica's outdoor mall. They have a mini grand central station benneth the mall. It's awesome.

Stuttgart is not a tourist city; its low-key, sort of unremarkable like Sacramento. (opps did I say that), but true. Screw Portland; Stuttgart should be our model city!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area