HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 4:42 PM

Vibrant Small Towns in America’s Heartland Are the Top Trending Locations for Gen Z

Wait... WHAT????

https://www.rentcafe.com/blog/rental...-gen-z-cities/

Is this a Temporary shift due to Covid? Is this the eventual result of remote work? The Revival of small town living? If this is not an aberration but an actual change in tastes among the young the implications are vast.

The youth rebel, how to rebel when the dominate older culture is Urban... well...

Discuss

Quote:
The downtown life in big coastal cities is so last decade. That’s according to the latest data that shows small towns in the heartland are newly trending for Gen Z renters. This is especially noteworthy because Zoomers were the fastest-growing active renter segment in the U.S. last year, and their locations of choice are just the opposite of their Millennial predecessors.

According to the most recent national apartment application data, the share of Gen Z renters jumped by 36% in 2020 compared to the prior year. At the same time, the number of apartment applicants from every other generation decreased. So, to identify what types of locations Gen Z prefers, we ranked cities by the highest share of applications for rent from this age group, as well as the highest year-over-year increase in Gen Z applicants.

Surprisingly, the trending locations preferred by Gen Z are small towns in the heartland, in the Midwest as well as in parts of the South, favored not only for being more affordable, but also for offering a vibrant local scene that feels authentic and closer to home for these young adults who are starting out in life in times of great uncertainty and change.

Of the roughly 3 million renter applications analyzed as part of this study, 22% were from applicants born after 1997 — also known as Generation Z, the oldest of which turned 23 in 2020. This youngest generation to enter apartment life claimed the second-largest share of the rental market in 2020. They were outnumbered only by Millennials (Slide 2), who continue to represent the largest share of renters in the U.S. with 48% of rental applications as of the end of 2020. Meanwhile, Gen X apartment-dwellers trail behind Gen Z, claiming only 18% of rental applications last year.

In 2020, some cities saw sharp increases in their shares of Gen Z renters, earning marks for the trendiest spots for young renters. In fact, in 18 of the top 20 trending locations for Gen Z renters, the share of rental applications submitted increased by at least 50% throughout the course of just one year.

These findings, however, have to be interpreted in the light of an unusual year, in a global pandemic. “The economic and public health consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic have likely influenced Gen Zer’s preferences for less populated, more affordable cities/towns in Mid-America and outside of the large southern metro areas e.g. Atlanta, D.C., Charlotte, Houston, than Millennials.”, according to Ronnie A. Dunn, Associate Professor of Urban Studies at Cleveland State University.

Greenville, NC is the top trendiest city for Gen Z renters
The trendiest Gen Z cities are concentrated in what’s known as “the heartland” or middle America. Nine of the 20 cities on this list are located in the Midwest and eight are in the South — far from the coastal cities previously favored by Millennials. Notably, they are small and mid-sized cities and towns, most with fewer than 300,000 residents, a relatively low cost of living, and apartment rents less than the national average, which is around $1,400.

Asked to provide an expert opinion on this trend, Sociology Professor Jill Ann Harrison (University of Oregon) argues that economic factors are leading people to look at smaller, more affordable markets and see their potential. Harrison concluded that one of the main benefits people get is “much more space for their money” in these small and mid-sized cities compared to what they do in big, coastal ones.

“Younger people are willing to trade off living in a crowded, bustling city for having more space at home. Many of these Heartland places are also much closer to their hometowns, too, enabling a tighter intergenerational connection which is more valued among younger adults today than with Gen X.”  Jill Ann Harrison, Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Studies, Department of Sociology, University of Oregon.

Greenville, NC places first in the ranking, having seen the sharpest spike in apartment applications submitted by this generation in 2020, 84%. This small town of fewer than 100,000 residents, the only college town in this ranking, has established itself as a great community to live in and to launch a career.

The cities of Little Rock and North Little Rock, AR, with a combined population of around 260,000, take up the second and third place as the trendiest locations for Gen Z renters. This area doesn’t lack in opportunities nor in hospitality, making for an attractive and affordable place to live in, with an average apartment rent around $800. Norfolk, VA and Lake Charles, LA round up the top 5.

Even the largest cities in the ranking are in fact mid-sized vibrant Midwestern cities that feel like home for many young adults: Minneapolis, MN (population 420k), ranked 11th, St. Louis, MO (population 308K) ranked 16th and Columbus, OH (population 880K), ranked 20th.

Professor Harrison points out that these cities all share a set of characteristics that make sense for this generation just starting out on their own:  they have a lower cost of living, with a smaller but vibrant local scene, thus favorable for establishing new, local businesses.

„It is easier in these places for people to take risks to becoming small business owners and contributing to the local economy and culture. These smaller markets offer an opportunity for younger adults not just live in a place, but to help to create or contribute to it in meaningful ways. In turn, many of these smaller cities have a truer sense of authenticity that is certainly serving as a pull.”

According to Harrison, many of the abandoned buildings and factory spaces in such places are turned into coffee shops, breweries, art galleries, and retail spaces – a movement led by younger Gen Xers and Millennials. She points out that this already happened in places like Youngstown, Ohio, for example, while in larger cities like Seattle, LA, or Boston, it takes a lot more money and access to capital to take these kinds of risks. 

The places with the youngest renter population in the country
Which cities are Gen Z hubs right now? The top 20 locations with the highest share of Gen Z apartment-seekers are mostly college towns or located near a college town. In these locations, Gen Z’s who are 21 and younger represent the majority of applications.
https://infogram.com/top-20-gen-z-ci...hxj48pm777g52v

https://infogram.com/top-20-trending...hnq410o99q8p23

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 4:48 PM

Sounds like a marketing ploy to me.

The reality though, is people will move to where they can afford to live. Things happen in cycles. This supposed "trend" won't last forever.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 4:53 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Flagstaff is on the list

Flagstaff was destined to be "discovered".. the surrounding natural beauty more than compensates for its roughness. In some other universe Flagstaff is what Aspen is in this universe.

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 5:00 PM

Pretty generous definition of "small town".

It appears technology and capacity is ushering a new cycle where the "superstar cities" take a haircut and become less superstar-ish. Meanwhile the next tier if cities (DFW/ATL/Phoenix/Miami/etc) start to reach their peak and the mid tier/"small town" cities start their ascent up to the next tier.

Which is a rambling way of saying technology and housing prices are committing us to a downward metro size cycle.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
Flagstaff is on the list

Flagstaff was destined to be "discovered".. the surrounding natural beauty more than compensates for its roughness. In some other universe Flagstaff is what Aspen is in this universe.
I would hardly call Flagstaff "rough"

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Sounds like a marketing ploy to me.

The reality though, is people will move to where they can afford to live. Things happen in cycles. This supposed "trend" won't last forever.
Articles of "Best" "most livable" etc are marketing and tourism ads but this is just search stats.

I have been predicting for some time that with remote work becoming more common and self driving cars long term people will live less by needs and more by desire.

There are a lot of people who live in cities because thats where they money is not because its their ideal place or environment to live in.

In addition to now being able to live more how and where you want it will be a lifeline to smaller cities economically who have been really dying for about 50 or 60 years. It only takes a handful of 6 figure software engineers and their families living in a town to make a huge impact economically in that town.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
Pretty generous definition of "small town".

It appears technology and capacity is ushering a new cycle where the "superstar cities" take a haircut and become less superstar-ish. Meanwhile the next tier if cities (DFW/ATL/Phoenix/Miami/etc) start to reach their peak and the mid tier/"small town" cities start their ascent up to the next tier.

Which is a rambling way of saying technology and housing prices are committing us to a downward metro size cycle.
If I look at it in a Macro level, the eastern seaboard developed before the civil war, the Midwest between the civil war and world war 2, the west coast after ww2 to now.

I expect the last portion of the country to develop will be the areas left. Texas, the Intermountain west, the Dakotas and Wyoming. Not surprisingly these are also the areas with the most hostile climates and environments and thus more expensive and difficult to develop.

The natural progression of development.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 6:06 PM
E pluribus unum

Flagstaff is overrun with second homeowners from Phoenix, AirBnB operators and a smidgen of Californians who can work from home. To them, it's affordable relative to parts of LA and the Bay Area, to those of us who've lived here for a while (I've been here almost 12 years) it's becoming insanely unaffordable.

I know, I could move, but I'm almost ten years into a state pension and I actually enjoy living here (four seasons, breathtaking scenery, not as hot as the desert, good job). Problem is, infrastructure can't keep up with the demand.

Also, I don't know how we're defining "rough" but Flagstaff ain't it. We're Aspen with worse skiing and more assholes and a large university that accepts anyone with a pulse.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 6:30 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

I’m taking this particular article with a big grain of salt, but the future of youth migration to cities is something I’ve been thinking about for a while now. It seems likely that the future will see second-tier cities playing a bigger role, and/or a more equitable distribution of “desirability".

While “the city” is always going to have an important role to youth culture - between the presence of universities, good jobs for the ambitious, and just by nature of having millions of people living together - there will always be a place for young people and all that they bring. But the notion of big cities being youth-oriented places may have just been a particular, short lived moment brought about by late 20th-century deindustrialization and suburban migrations. The idea of liminal spaces was brought up recently in the “je nais se quoi” thread. The sort of conditions that allowed for creative young entrepreneurs to take over grand Victorian edifices for nightclubs or whatever are not quite the natural order of things.

Thinking about it in generational terms:
  • The Greatest generation largely fled cities (they also largely missed a traditional young adulthood).
  • Baby Boomers continued to leave cities en masse, though some of the more creative & alternative types reversed course and began the process of gentrifying prime inner city neighbourhoods.
  • That movement picked up steam with Gen X, with the appeal of urban living filtering a bit further into the mainstream (though still being a generally “alternative" lifestyle).
  • Millennials arguably then reached peak urban, with big cities being the overwhelming preference across all demographics. Development and costs of living have adjusted accordingly.
  • So where does that leave Gen Z to go?

Just my anecdotes, but while I’m a mid-Millennial I have a lot of Gen Z cousins, some co-workers, and other acquaintances - and almost every single one of them lives with their parents, mostly in the suburbs. Even those who are now finished school and have started good careers. They don’t dislike the city or prefer the suburbs or anything, and will certainly travel downtown for work, school, shopping, or entertainment; but they don’t seem to have any pressing urge to move downtown ASAP the way my cohort did either. The general attitude seems to be: yeah it’d be nice to live downtown, but why would I pay two-thirds of my income to live in a shitty apartment surrounded by bank branches?

Part of it I think it that Zoomers tend to be a bit more thrifty and pragmatic than most of the rest of us, but a bigger part of it points to the sense that the big, top-tier global cities have become victims of their own success. This is exacerbated by bad policy decisions that are also still rooted in a late 20th-century mentality.

https://www.instagram.com/avocado_ibuprofen/

Last edited by MonkeyRonin; Mar 19, 2021 at 6:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 7:04 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I would hardly call Flagstaff "rough"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Also, I don't know how we're defining "rough" but Flagstaff ain't it. We're Aspen with worse skiing and more assholes and a large university that accepts anyone with a pulse.
To be honest ive never actually been to Flagstaff, but have a close family friend who grew up there in the 70s... Maybe its not rough anymore but lets just say he was more than glad to leave for good.

For the record, i actually base all my judgements of cities on anecdotal evidence from 40 years ago

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
If I look at it in a Macro level, the eastern seaboard developed before the civil war, the Midwest between the civil war and world war 2, the west coast after ww2 to now.

I expect the last portion of the country to develop will be the areas left. Texas, the Intermountain west, the Dakotas and Wyoming. Not surprisingly these are also the areas with the most hostile climates and environments and thus more expensive and difficult to develop.

The natural progression of development.
I think that's the greater supercycle but there are cycles where metros within stagnating regions reverse trends.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 8:16 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
To be honest ive never actually been to Flagstaff, but have a close family friend who grew up there in the 70s... Maybe its not rough anymore but lets just say he was more than glad to leave for good.
I could see that, especially during that period of time, Flagstaff biggest industry was lumber and there were still-operating lumber mills back in the 1970s and 80s. After those closed, our economy switched to tourism and education.

Hell, the first couple of iterations of the town back in the late 19th century burned to the ground because of all the saloons and brothels, until city leaders wised up and began constructing buildings using stone instead of wood.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 12:34 AM

I thought this would be about small towns not small to medium sized cities. But yes, those are bound to get a boost whenever big cities are experiencing growing pains/too expensive. It's not the first time this has happened... Austin, Nashville, Raleigh, Charlotte and the like weren't that big when they started blowing up.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 1:22 AM

Greenville, NC, is a college town, and from the people I know that went to East Carolina, it's fairly underrated as a college town. Greenville is clearly not the Midwest, and is not "middle America" in a literal sense. Perhaps they meant living in politically purple areas, or plain old less-dense areas.

I'm a little skeptical of Little Rock and Lake Charles. Maybe rentals are up, and maybe people aren't moving to big cities in the region like Nashville and Atlanta as much, but people are not beating down the doors to move to Lake Charles or Little Rock.

Otherwise, as has been mentioned, it seems like a naturally-cyclical flow: as the biggest cities get too expensive, medium cities and small cities become more practiible.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 1:29 AM

Whoever thinks the urban boom cycle is immune to waning is fooling themselves.

Aside from all else, the current culture in this country has permitted most large cities to become violent again, just like what happened decades ago when cities emptied.

I swear, humans never learn.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 2:01 AM
Pay it Forward

Im sure its just a coincidence that so many of those places just bappen to be college towns lol

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post

I swear, humans never learn.
Well of course, where would the fun be in that?

Quote:
Im sure its just a coincidence that so many of those places just bappen to be college towns lol
Because Gen Z is known to be heavy young college renters?:???

Im sure that was taken into account.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions