HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
The town want to recoop some of the cost of building the road.
In all my years in business, you need to make this attractive not unattractive!
This will eventually be dropped as they won't have a choice. I would say after a new council is in place.
Yes, I totally agree with you Whaler! I hope they change their minds sooner than later, but it won't be likely after a new council is in place like you said...I have my personal thoughts on this, but I'll save them for here

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebertovich View Post
A load of trusses dropped off and still no sign?
Window Shop.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingnut View Post
Window Shop.
I figured just wasn't sure thanks TFN

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 3:55 PM

Pics

Here are some pics of some of the new places in the valley

New buildings by Shannex

New Home Hardware

China Wok

Refacing the old royal LePage

Old Window shop and apparently new Window Shop

Air Atlantic expanding

New property on Marr rd just in front of Bayview Credit union
Emerson Pools expanded over the spring also but I didn't get a shot of it

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 11:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Rothesay mayor upset over Funky Monkey food truck
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ruck-1.2708611

Quote:
Rothesay Mayor Bill Bishop:

“You have to know Rothesay, it is not your regular community,” Bishop said.

We people here have been here for decades and they have very firm beliefs, and needs and wants and the word change in Rothesay is not a welcome word.”

Bishop said he has nothing against Dan Landry, the Funky Monkey’s owner, but a mobile restaurant is “not the type of enterprise that we welcome in Rothesay.”
Wow, just wow……..

Translation - we don't want their kind here. Things have been just tickety-boo in our fair town since 1955, we ain't gonna change for nobody. Next thing you know those darkies are gonna get uppity too!!

Thoughts anyone? I know that his opinions certainly don't reflect the majority of NBer's, including most people in metro Saint John. I'm frankly appalled. When's the next election???

If I were this Landry fellow, I think I would just pick up and move my truck next door to Quispamsis, I'm sure he might be at least a little more welcome in that community - a bit more entrepreneurial in spirit, and a little less old money and country clubbish in character……

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Wow, just wow……..

Translation - we don't want their kind here. Things have been just tickety-boo in our fair town since 1955, we ain't gonna change for nobody. Next thing you know those darkies are gonna get uppity too!!

Thoughts anyone? I know that his opinions certainly don't reflect the majority of NBer's, including most people in metro Saint John. I'm frankly appalled. When's the next election???

If I were this Landry fellow, I think I would just pick up and move my truck next door to Quispamsis, I'm sure he might be at least a little more welcome in that community - a bit more entrepreneurial in spirit, and a little less old money and country clubbish in character……
I felt the same way........wow! This is NOT how NBer's feel. Take a look at the comment section on the CBC site.....almost all against. This man owes mr. Landry an apology along withe the citizens of rothesay.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Wow, just wow……..

Its sad but I believe the one and only reason Mr. Bishop has been mayor for so long is because his demographic is the only one that turns out to vote in substantial enough numbers. I suspect he wouldn't stand a chance if there was a more even distribution of voter turnout...IMHO.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 12:22 AM
Spem Reduxit

The silver lining in all of this is the Funky Monkey literally ran out of supplies / food today and had to close shop early...all thanks to awesome NB'ers who went out to show their support and to rub it in Mayor Hillbilly Bishop 's face (albeit he may have recognized his outrageous error and did apologize today, but the damage was done)

Good on ya KV for supporting the small businesses in your area, but please vote that turd out!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 2:40 AM
ハルウララ

My understanding was that Bishop spoke ill of the business because the town wasn't collecting tax revenue from them. This was simply due to Rothesay's (perhaps outdated) bylaws which made no mention of food trucks. The logical thing to do would have been to amend them to allow the town to levy a rental fee on a monthly basis, but instead Bishop sounded off. Glad to see food trucks starting to become a thing in the region. They've been a staple in a lot of larger cities i've visited.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 4:50 AM

visited family in Rothesay this week, the property on Marr road is now clad in green siding. the window shop now has, well, windows.

The St. Hubert which was brand new last year when I visited last was empty.. any idea what happened to that? The tims in the same plaza has way too friendly employees, it was almost creepy.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
visited family in Rothesay this week, the property on Marr road is now clad in green siding. the window shop now has, well, windows.

The St. Hubert which was brand new last year when I visited last was empty.. any idea what happened to that? The tims in the same plaza has way too friendly employees, it was almost creepy.
Poor planning in my opinion. They also opened a location at Eastpoint that closed as well. Personally I'm not a big st. Hubert fan but I did go when it first opened and service was terrible. We're a finicky bunch here......you don't get many second chances to win loyalty. I've said before that it seems many businesses do absolutely no market research and just open and cross their fingers! I think a new Sleep Country is going in the Saint John locale.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 9:56 PM
ハルウララ

Probably has something to do with St.Hubert being marketed as "St.Hewbert" in Saint John, whether on purpose or not.

Opening two new locations simultaneously in brand new locations probably didn't help.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Probably has something to do with St.Hubert being marketed as "St.Hewbert" in Saint John, whether on purpose or not.

Opening two new locations simultaneously in brand new locations probably didn't help.
Well we are the loyalist city after all!!!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 2:46 PM

Looks like they're trying a new marketing strategy fool Colonel Nase in GBW complete with video!

http://billwill.ca/?listing=colonel-...rd#prettyPhoto

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw78 View Post
Looks like they're trying a new marketing strategy fool Colonel Nase in GBW complete with video!

http://billwill.ca/?listing=colonel-...rd#prettyPhoto
Well it is a nice attempt.
This will have very little effect IMO.
My feeling is that they need to get a project started. They will also need to drop the frontage tax.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
Well it is a nice attempt.
This will have very little effect IMO.
My feeling is that they need to get a project started. They will also need to drop the frontage tax.
Here is a link on the town site from Nov. 4 talking about the town's attempts to work with the property owners for what it's worth...Clearly something hasn't been working so it's due time they get something sorted out...

http://www.town.grandbay-westfield.n...ase-boulevard/

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 2:43 PM

Millennium Park - Quispamsis

hmmm..... this sounds a lot like the idea I had back in 2009.....
Hopefully I had an influence!

(ORIGINAL POST #4599, July 29, 2009)

Former resident suggests building of town centre
C5 MARY-ELLEN SAUNDERS TELEGRAPH-JOURNAL
Wednesday, July 29, 2009

ROTHESAY - An engineer and former Kennebecaisis Valley resident has suggested a town centre with space for shops and restaurants on the land be built on the corner of Campbell Drive and Millennium Drive.

"Imagine taking an evening stroll down a bustling cobblestone street to browse the shops and boutiques of the Kennebecasis Valley and bumping into your neighbours, who are enjoying a latte on a small patio with jazz music filling the air," David Hook said.

"Feeling like you're miles away from home, yet you're just down the street. And if you live further away in Gondola Point or K-Park, a short wait and a bus will be along to bring you home."

Hook grew up in Quispamsis, studied civil engineering at the University of New Brunswick and now lives in Ottawa, where he works as a transportation planner.

Hook said even though he does not live in New Brunswick, he follows local news and is interested in seeing his hometown prosper. Which is why, when given the opportunity, he submitted a proposal to the Town of Rothesay during its municipal plan review. Hook suggested a town centre be built on the site where a Wal-Mart was once proposed in Rothesay.

"As a former resident, I have always wondered why this town had no traditional core," Hook wrote in his letter to town council.

"Since these towns evolved with no distinct commercial sector, it would be an interesting idea to build a town centre complete with a traditional main street, brick-faced buildings, streetfront shopping, on-street parking, restaurants with patios, boutiques and residential units above."

Hook said commercial development in the valley has been mostly on Hampton Road, which is not a very pedestrian friendly area. He said the development on Hampton Road is spread out and the road is also used as a thoroughfare for traffic. He said travelling the road to do shopping is a bit stressful and not ideal for the area's commercial district.

The civil engineer suggested a town centre similar to the ones in Pearland in Houston, Texas, Nashville, Tennessee, or Kanata Centrum in Ottawa could transform the area from a bedroom community to a vibrant town.

Rothesay Mayor Bill Bishop said the land is owned privately and to date the town has not had any proposals that look at that approach.

"Our town centre is the Rothesay Common, it has been for decades and it will continue to be," Bishop said.

"Rothesay is sort of unique in that we concentrate more on the residential aspect. We realize there are needs for services but we're not interested in developing a great number of commercial outlets. We are interested in keeping land for residential development."

Phil Brodersen, president of the Kennebecasis Valley Chamber of Commerce, said a project such as the one Hook suggested would be quite an investment and while it is easy to make the suggestion, there isn't someone stepping forward who is prepared to do it.

"Hampton Road is already established and to try and get businesses to relocate might be a challenge," Brodersen said. "I think it's going to be a hard sell."

Hook said he would love to invest in a town centre such as the one he has proposed but is too early in his career to have the assets to do so. He suggested the centre could be built by a private business or on a private-public partnership with Quispamsis and Rothesay jointly working on the project.

"I think investors would be very interested, provided the concept was presented in a way that makes it look like an exciting opportunity to do something different and is backed by community support," Hook said.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cjpg
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cJPG

Public comments from Canadaeast.com:

"I love this idea! Make it happen!" 10 Thumbs Up, 0 Thumbs Down
"An approach like this will get people to mingle and take more pride their neighbourhood. The town centre reminds me of places in Europe I have been where on Saturdays you have an outside market set up in conjunction with the existing store fronts (note - not big box) and the cafés and brasseries. As an added bonus, I believe a bus service to town centre would reduce overall traffic as people will realize it isn't 'that bad' and start taking the bus not only within KV but also to Saint John.

Great idea - we need more forward thinkers like Mr. Hook!"
3 Thumbs Up, 0 Thumbs Down

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhottawa729 View Post
hmmm..... this sounds a lot like the idea I had back in 2009.....
Hopefully I had an influence!

(ORIGINAL POST #4599, July 29, 2009)

Former resident suggests building of town centre
C5 MARY-ELLEN SAUNDERS TELEGRAPH-JOURNAL
Wednesday, July 29, 2009

ROTHESAY - An engineer and former Kennebecaisis Valley resident has suggested a town centre with space for shops and restaurants on the land be built on the corner of Campbell Drive and Millennium Drive.

"Imagine taking an evening stroll down a bustling cobblestone street to browse the shops and boutiques of the Kennebecasis Valley and bumping into your neighbours, who are enjoying a latte on a small patio with jazz music filling the air," David Hook said.

"Feeling like you're miles away from home, yet you're just down the street. And if you live further away in Gondola Point or K-Park, a short wait and a bus will be along to bring you home."

Hook grew up in Quispamsis, studied civil engineering at the University of New Brunswick and now lives in Ottawa, where he works as a transportation planner.

Hook said even though he does not live in New Brunswick, he follows local news and is interested in seeing his hometown prosper. Which is why, when given the opportunity, he submitted a proposal to the Town of Rothesay during its municipal plan review. Hook suggested a town centre be built on the site where a Wal-Mart was once proposed in Rothesay.

"As a former resident, I have always wondered why this town had no traditional core," Hook wrote in his letter to town council.

"Since these towns evolved with no distinct commercial sector, it would be an interesting idea to build a town centre complete with a traditional main street, brick-faced buildings, streetfront shopping, on-street parking, restaurants with patios, boutiques and residential units above."

Hook said commercial development in the valley has been mostly on Hampton Road, which is not a very pedestrian friendly area. He said the development on Hampton Road is spread out and the road is also used as a thoroughfare for traffic. He said travelling the road to do shopping is a bit stressful and not ideal for the area's commercial district.

The civil engineer suggested a town centre similar to the ones in Pearland in Houston, Texas, Nashville, Tennessee, or Kanata Centrum in Ottawa could transform the area from a bedroom community to a vibrant town.

Rothesay Mayor Bill Bishop said the land is owned privately and to date the town has not had any proposals that look at that approach.

"Our town centre is the Rothesay Common, it has been for decades and it will continue to be," Bishop said.

"Rothesay is sort of unique in that we concentrate more on the residential aspect. We realize there are needs for services but we're not interested in developing a great number of commercial outlets. We are interested in keeping land for residential development."

Phil Brodersen, president of the Kennebecasis Valley Chamber of Commerce, said a project such as the one Hook suggested would be quite an investment and while it is easy to make the suggestion, there isn't someone stepping forward who is prepared to do it.

"Hampton Road is already established and to try and get businesses to relocate might be a challenge," Brodersen said. "I think it's going to be a hard sell."

Hook said he would love to invest in a town centre such as the one he has proposed but is too early in his career to have the assets to do so. He suggested the centre could be built by a private business or on a private-public partnership with Quispamsis and Rothesay jointly working on the project.

"I think investors would be very interested, provided the concept was presented in a way that makes it look like an exciting opportunity to do something different and is backed by community support," Hook said.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cjpg
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cJPG

Public comments from Canadaeast.com:

"I love this idea! Make it happen!" 10 Thumbs Up, 0 Thumbs Down
"An approach like this will get people to mingle and take more pride their neighbourhood. The town centre reminds me of places in Europe I have been where on Saturdays you have an outside market set up in conjunction with the existing store fronts (note - not big box) and the cafés and brasseries. As an added bonus, I believe a bus service to town centre would reduce overall traffic as people will realize it isn't 'that bad' and start taking the bus not only within KV but also to Saint John.

Great idea - we need more forward thinkers like Mr. Hook!"
3 Thumbs Up, 0 Thumbs Down
Am I the only one who thinks someone is talking out of there ass... I've been down Hampton Road, and have not seen any Quaint Cafes... So to say that Hampton Rd is where all the companies are established, and they would not want to move is kind of like a parent telling a child because I said so... Just my opinion on the way this subject is turning...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhottawa729 View Post

Heh, it's funny I always dreamed of building a huge movie theatre in that spot, like a big fancy ScotiaBank Cinema with gold escalators and an arcade just as big (now the Rothesay theatre is closed ) . I think I still have drawings of it somewhere. Anyways, I honestly think this is the only thing that could work in that spot.

One of the reasons we didn't get a Walmart was because people were worried about the noise, so a quiet shopping area similar to uptown might work a bit better. I would much rather see this go up than another car repair shop or government building like down the road. The only thing that wouldn't work is the entrance from Campbell drive, the speed limit is 70 and it's on a hill, might be a bit tricky.

I just can't believe how long it's taking to develop that land.

Last edited by Echo64; Jun 30, 2015 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Reduced image size

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 12:55 PM

David Hook's idea is a good start but why not go a step further and make it a mixed use development? You could have ground level retail and services with residential above. Come up with a good master plan and then slowly build it out over time. If designed properly people can live, work, and congregate in the same neighborhood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces