HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Marine Gateway North Residential in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 1:17 AM

Jollyburger helpfully posted the link to the new draft Marine Landing Guidelines for future development in the area surrounding the existing development. Interestingly, while the Docksteader site is part of the review area, and is identified as appropriate for 'intensive employment', it's not identified for future residential use - not even if it's all rental, or even all non-market.

One reason is that the land is included in the Regional Context Statement ODP as mixed employment use. That's less restrictive than industrial designation, so the big office building could proceed, but it means that if City Council supported the idea of residential here as well as industrial/commercial, then there would have to be a report to, and approval from, Metro Vancouver's Board as well.

PCI will no doubt try to argue that with the industrial podium and significant office building they're providing the employment space that that's required, and all those residential buildings are just gravy, but it's not what the (very) new Guidelines are suggesting. Council could change the Guidelines, and support a rezoning (well, two, as they'd have to amend the ODP to change its designation at a public hearing as well), but it's equally possible PCI will find 'it's an 'intensive employment' area; you can have office use as well as industrial, but that's all you can have'.

And to answer all the 'that's ridiculous, they should be able to build residential all the way to the river and around', there are very few parts of Vancouver which are reserved for employment, and there are already plenty of high-density residential developments elsewhere around this station, both built and planned for the future. As transit improves, and there are more station areas, the few locations that could provide high-density employment outside the Core will become increasingly important - which is precisely why the Regional Context Statement ODP protected a few of them from residential incursion (and consequent land value hike that then threatens existing as well as future employment potential).

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
It was very interesting seeing the transformation of a neighbourhood that was up until that point pretty much frozen in time.
I remember there being a tiny forest with tall trees here when I moved to Vancouver back in 2012. I wish I would have a photo of the area, as it has changed so much.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 6:40 AM

Google Maps has photos of it in 2007 when they just started to build the Canada Line guideway columns.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2092...!7i3328!8i1664

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 6:53 AM

Thanks. I was struggling to find those on mobile. Memory seems to have served me only partially about how large the "forest" was but there was a patch of green.

Damn, I could have sworn EB Marine Drive had three lanes in front of the complex before, but apparently not.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 6:56 AM

it used to house an ICBC facility right?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
it used to house an ICBC facility right?
Yeah ICBC claims centre

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 7:38 PM

All the purpose-built 1970s ICBC Claims Centres were concrete bunkers surrounded by a forest of pine trees. There's still one on Kingsway I think.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
All the purpose-built 1970s ICBC Claims Centres were concrete bunkers surrounded by a forest of pine trees. There's still one on Kingsway I think.
And Coquitlam, North Vancouver, Burnaby (BCIT) among others.

The architect

https://arthurallenarchitect.ca/pdf/buildings.pdf

Quote:
Public automobile Insurance In British Columbia was conceived on the basis of earlier Crown Corporations active since 1945 In the Province of Saskatchewan, and since 1971 In Manitoba. The new corporation was named ICBC, The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, and was created

In 1973 In April, 1973, ICBC commissioned Allen-Ewing, Architects, of Vancouver, to undertake early preliminary design of a network of buildings for the Corporation's operations throughout the province. Under extreme pressure of time, a simultaneous program of design and land acquisition was started, using a modular building system that could be adapted to various property configurations. A minimum property depth of 120 feet, common to city blocks, was held throughout the work. Simultaneous and overlapping design, supply, and construction activities were Involved wherever time could be reduced.

Design, land acquisition, and permit negotiation were simultaneous, with cooperation of most municipalities. Working drawings of foundations, steel and concrete work were started ahead of finished Interior design.
Steel and precast concrete were tendered ahead of general contract services. General contracts were tendered at cost plus fixed fee, and foundation work started Immediately. Sub-trades and supply were post-tendered and taken over by general contractors.

With a severe shortage of structural steel predicted for the winter of 1973-74, drawings and pretenders for steel were rushed, and Issued In July 1973. Erection began In November of that year. The volume of precast concrete panels needed was sufficient to tax the capability of all 3 suppliers In the province. Drawings were expedited, and tenders called In August 1973, on a unit price basis. Contracts were awarded to the 3 suppliers, on the basis of price, capability, and delivery dates (fixed by liquidated damage clauses In the contracts). Redundancy In the steel frame-concrete panel system added cost, but enabled roofing, early mechanical and electrical work, floor slabs, and rough carpentry to proceed in winter weather well ahead of delivery of precast concrete wall cladding.

The project delivered 13 buildings between August 1974, and January 1975. Cost over-runs for those buildings was approx. 8 %. 4 buildings were delayed by municipal Interference, and were completed by June 1976, with extra costs Incurred for delay, and storage of building materials.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 10:55 PM

Thanks for the post!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver