Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 1:32 AM

Oct 29

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 4:29 PM

When does the glass go in the balconies? Is it typical for that to be last? Are they using different colored glass?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
The facade has a hint of psychedelia in its apparent appearance when staring at it. The way it shifts hues within the facade depending on the light and most importantly, the angle of perspective. In otherwords, it becomes a new tower facade wise depending if one is looking at it from the North, South, East/West.

As seen in the pic set in post #6538 by BVictor1.

This particular shot I really like by BVictor 1:

Almost as if the tower is breathing.

Not many towers can pull this type of look off where its a treat for the eyes depending on the direction one is facing. The view from the harbor/lake is one of the weakest perspectives IMO, but the angle above, is bravo!

I don't want to say it doesn't look good from a far, but the angle one is viewing this matters IMO. Like from the Park, Grant Park I believe, it is not its best moment, but from a river angle, its amazing.
Spot on

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 7:46 PM

You know if they just put the same covering they do on the concrete at the top on the core of the blow through level it wouldnt look half as bad. Anyone know if thats the plan?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
You know if they just put the same covering they do on the concrete at the top on the core of the blow through level it wouldnt look half as bad. Anyone know if thats the plan?
Can you be more specific in what covering you're talking about?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 8:16 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
The latest plan made public is that they're going to paint everything inside the blow-thru black so that it recedes.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
The latest plan made public is that they're going to paint everything inside the blow-thru black so that it recedes.
I understood that the color was for environmental reasons having to do with birds. I thought I read that there is an ordinance in place that dictates the inside be all black

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 6:18 PM

Nov 1

First Snowman of Autumn.

Fun w Circular Polarizer.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:22 PM
Chicago

November 1, 2019

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 1:46 AM

I believe someone mentioned this a while ago, but I think Vista is on Building Giants on the Sci Channel tonight. The description just says Chicago supertall so I’m assuming.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 2:51 AM

11/09/19

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaviews View Post
I believe someone mentioned this a while ago, but I think Vista is on Building Giants on the Sci Channel tonight. The description just says Chicago supertall so I’m assuming.
OMG it is!!! I'm so gosh darn happy right now!! The entire time this tower was going up I was super into these films, and most are a decade plus old on buildings like trump.

I kept thinking, please.. please let there be some sort of film crew documenting the rise of this historic super tall. Cannot wait to see the unique views they got for us! And more hopefully some insight into this complex project. Gahh... im so happy.

https://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-sh...craper-chicago

Also.. horray! First couple panels are up on the lobby, thanks victor. Looks shiny

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozy View Post
OMG it is!!! I'm so gosh darn happy right now!! The entire time this tower was going up I was super into these films, and most are a decade plus old on buildings like trump.

I kept thinking, please.. please let there be some sort of film crew documenting the rise of this historic super tall. Cannot wait to see the unique views they got for us! And more hopefully some insight into this complex project. Gahh... im so happy.

Also.. horray! First couple panels are up on the lobby, thanks victor. Looks shiny
This is the best show I've ever seen! Thanks for sharing!!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 1:25 AM

just finished watching and thnx for the link!

AWESOME.....

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 3:27 AM
THAT Guy

A little old but a helluva shot

IN THE BACKYARD by Nenad Spasojevic, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 5:10 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie77 View Post
just finished watching and thnx for the link!

AWESOME.....
Yeah I enjoyed watching this too. I did not appreciate some of the technical challenges posed by the site.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 6:32 AM

Quote:

I wish they could’ve talked about the blow through floor. I’m also surprised Jeanne Gang isn’t in this episode.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 12:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Watched the first 10 mins cant wait to get home to watch the whole thing.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 4:24 PM

CTBUH Journal — “Case Study: Vista Tower, Chicago”

Right after that awesome doc, we get an official CTBUH write-up. Loving all the attention Vista is getting!! This document gets into the good stuff where the Building Giants video lacks.

Quote:
"Vista Tower, the subject of our case study, is situated prominently at the intersection of the historic axes of the Chicago River and Lake Shore Drive. It is one thing to choose a significant location for the city's future third-tallest building; it is quite another to turn that location into a gateway that unites parkland with riverfront recreation, crossing beneath a three-level roadway that had blocked access for decades. On the one hand, the building is very much in the Chicago tradition of structural bravado; on the other, it uses that bravado to hearken a future where skyscrapers are unitary forces and no longer urban barriers."

— Daniel Safarik, Editor, CTBUH Journal
https://studiogang.com/files/pdfs/39...ower-oneup.pdf

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 4:36 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Watched about half the episode so far. Pretty incredible stuff, no doubt about it!

Aaron (Glowrock)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture