HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

99 Hudson Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Jersey City (New York City) Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 2:07 PM

Great news, and almost a supertall.

I think Jersey City will get a supertall within a couple of years.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 2:52 PM
Show me the blueprints

I'm stoked about the change in plans but the old design was awesome. I hope they can still keep the basic concept of the curved base and other elements. I'd love to see that happen.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 5:50 PM

It looks like Jersey City is winning in the race between Brooklyn, Queens, and JC to have the first supertall outside of Manhattan.

As a Brooklyn homer I say we will never give up!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
It looks like Jersey City is winning in the race between Brooklyn, Queens, and JC to have the first supertall outside of Manhattan.

As a Brooklyn homer I say we will never give up!
There are sections of Jersey City with no height limits, and there are FAR allowances in the Journal Square redevelopment area that top out at 25. That's equivalent to the densest parts of the city!

On top of all that, Mayor Fulop of Jersey City is likely just as pro development as many members of this forum. Many of the new high density skyscraper proposals have been followed by press releases from the Mayor's Office, being welcomed with open arms. The majority of council is on board too.

Keeping in place decades old zoning ordinances, created during a time when density was seen as undesirable, has stymied communities from reaching their full potential vibrancy. NIMBYs, who want to keep the status quo due to their irrational fear of change, need to be meet by us who support high quality urban development. Far too long NIMBYs have been the loudest, most obnoxious people in the room, and the politicians have appeased their demands even if it meant hurting the community in the long run. That has changed, at least now in Jersey City. As long as the New York City economy remains strong, Jersey City will share in reaping the benefits.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 6:17 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Brooklyn will get a supertall or even LIC in time due. There is a gradual progression in terms of overall height. As space runs out, it will come eventually. Also, Fulop strongly hinted at a supertall during his interview with YIMBY. Anything over 90 stories would have no problem getting approved according to him. I think we will all be given a nice gift soon enough. This came out of the blue, and I believe that a supertall will pop up soon enough. This tower being 289m; 10m shy of supertall status.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 6:32 PM

I forgot about the potential 1000 footer in the YIMBY interview. Then there is also a reference to a new Goldman Sachs tower. And just for laughs, let's not forget the 95-storey tower at Liberty Rising.

This quote appeared in the NY times:
Quote:
The tower would presumably be as tall or taller than 1 World Trade Center, now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere. It would loom over the Statue of Liberty and offer panoramic views of the harbor, Lower Manhattan and New Jersey.

“You’ve got to think big,” said Mayor Steven Fulop of Jersey City...
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/10/ny...city.html?_r=0

The city's new motto should be... Jersey City: The New York area's best chance to exceed the unofficial 1776 height limit.

(for the record, I don't think Liberty Rising will be built, and if so, I doubt it will come anywhere close to 1776 ft. It's still a great quote to share showing the favorable environment for development in Jersey City right now.)

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 6:34 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Lol. But could you imagine if it did. Tiny JC having the tallest in the nation. Damn, what a middle finger that would be to NYC.

Although I like how Fulop thinks. Almost like someone at SSP brainwashed him or something. But hey, I'm not complaining.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 10:24 PM
don't *meddle*...

Wow, I didn't know JC had such an open-minded, pro development major. No wonder all those projects keep popping up or getting height increases. Now I'm very confident that we'll see a couple of surprises soon ... this 950 footer could be just the beginning.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 11:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Perkins Eastman is designing a 950-foot tall tower that will become the tallest building in the state of New Jersey, though images are not yet available.

That's a sweet height for Jersey City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Wow, I didn't know JC had such an open-minded, pro development major.
Why wouldn't he be? (Remember, this guy is enthusiastic about the Liberty Rising idea). But being that close to Manhattan with all of the development that takes place, it would be foolish to be against development. New York can't contain it all, and it will only benefit Jersey City (more residents, more taxes, etc.)

Also, Jersey City is one of the few places in the state that can handle this scale of development, with direct rail service into and out of Manhattan, and multiple modes of transportation.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 11:33 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

good news, but some development of the remaining JC exchange square parking lots should include mid rises as well as supertalls...whle they're at it, redevelop the holiday inn or whatever it is, and the newport mall.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 5:55 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 6:20 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Announced 2day. we continue to remake the #JerseyCity skyline moving forward on the largest building in #newjersey

Credit: Steven Fulop https://twitter.com/StevenFulop/stat...968194/photo/1

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 7:24 PM
don't *meddle*...

http://www.northjersey.com/news/busi...n-nj-1.1228350

Proposed Jersey City condo tower would be tallest building in N.J.

January 20, 2015
By KATHLEEN LYNN

Quote:
A developer plans to construct a 760-unit condo building in Jersey City that, at 95 stories, would be the tallest structure in New Jersey, Mayor Steven Fulop said Tuesday

The building would be constructed at 99 Hudson St., a block from the Hudson River, by China Overseas America Inc. At 950 feet, it would be taller than the current tallest building in New Jersey, the 781-foot Goldman Sachs building at 30 Hudson Street in Jersey City.

"Our plan here is to continue building a world-class skyline and to continue leading the region in job creation with projects like this, and we couldn't be more excited to attract hundreds of millions of dollars of investment into the city," Fulop said in a statement.

Jersey City is in the middle of a building boom, with the highest number of homebuilding permits of any municipality in the state last year. Through November, the city had 1,320 building permits, out of a total statewide of 25,451, according to the state Department of Labor. Building permits are considered the best measure of housing construction on the state and local level, because the federal government doesn't measure housing starts by state and municipality.

According to Fulop, the state is on track to become the largest city in New Jersey - passing Newark - in 2016.

The last large condo project in Jersey City was Crystal Point, a waterfront development that opened in 2009. Most of the recent multi-family development in Jersey City, and the rest of the state, has been rental. Demand for rentals has been on the rise since the housing crash and recession, as many households were unable to qualify for mortgages and others held off on buying after seeing housing values plunge during the crash.

The new proposal in Jersey City may signal that the market is shifting, with more demand for condos.

The Jersey City planning board is expected to vote on the 99 Hudson St. plan this evening. If the project is approved by the planning board and city council, construction is expected to begin this spring.

Maybe with the crown this could be a supertall.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 8:37 PM
New Yorker for life

I think it's 950 ft with the crown. But I'm not too crazy about the design. It's a chance for JC to get a real signature skyscraper on the skyline. Something to finally distinguish it as a skyline in it's own right.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 8:57 PM

Sort of reminds of the Bear Stearns building in Midtown, but ugly.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 9:00 PM
Resident Moron

I expect this to be the first of many in JC.

JC is very well connected, and has tons of under-developed areas. I suspect the entire Exchange Place and Journal Square areas to be very dense in 20 years.

It's a shame it's not very attractive looking, I think the Goldman Tower is very nice.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 9:11 PM

I'll try and attend the Planning Board meeting and snap a few photos. I'm not a huge fan of the design but welcome the impact this will make in Jersey City. Hopefully it's the first of many.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 12:21 AM

If this is still in proposal talks, the render shown can't be anything near a finalized product.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 12:32 AM
DENNAB

I doubt it's 95 stories, the article just assumes so since it's 950 ft.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I doubt it's 95 stories, the article just assumes so since it's 950 ft.
the bloomberg article also says 95

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive