HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 9:11 PM
~Hook'em~

They closed down the Y intersection as well as evacuating Scenic Brook Drive.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 12:08 AM
~Hook'em~

Also I know this isn't about Austin but it is about Texas and speaking of fires. Here is a wild photo of the UT McDonald Observatory out in West Texas with that massive fire thats burning out there.

http://amandabauer.blogspot.com/2011...servatory.html

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 5:44 AM
Meh

^I read that some park visitors to Davis Mountains State Park were evacuated, and that the observatory took them in for the night. Pretty crazy.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 5:57 AM
Meh

They're reporting that the fire today in Oak Hill was arson. They have the suspect in custody. It burned at least 100 acres and destroyed some homes.

Reader photos:
http://galleries.statesman.com/galle...-04171/#165532

Statesman photos:
http://galleries.statesman.com/galle...k-hill-041711/

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...inglePage=true
Quote:
Suspect charged in Oak Hill fire; firefighters to remain overnight

By Isadora Vail

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Updated: 11:34 p.m. Sunday, April 17, 2011
Published: 10:59 p.m. Sunday, April 17, 2011

Fed by gusting winds, a wildfire roared into residential streets in Oak Hill on Sunday afternoon, destroying eight houses, damaging another 10 and forcing hundreds of people from their homes before the blaze was subdued by dozens of firefighters aided by Texas Forest Service planes.

Fire officials said late Sunday that one person was charged with a state jail felony. The suspect, whose name was not released, was booked into the Travis County Jail with bail set at $50,000.

The first call came into the Austin Fire Department about 1:30 p.m. A caller reported seeing a small brush fire behind a convenience store at U.S. 290 and RM 1826, Battalion Chief Palmer Buck said. Within minutes, several fire engines were on the scene, and by 2 p.m. the first house had caught fire, he said.

Another 20 minutes passed before crews on the scene increased the alarm and called for more help, Buck said.

By 4 p.m., fire officials said the fire had spread to about 100 acres and police had closed the busy "Y" intersection - where U.S. 290 and Texas 71 split - and rerouted traffic.

Late Sunday, fire officials said that the fir

(Kenny Richter READER PHOTO)
Reader photos from the fire in the Oak hill area that damaged homes on Sunday, April 17, 2011.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 8:18 AM

The firefighters are to be commended for knocking this fire down as quickly as they did, although not before the loss of some homes and property and our hearts go out to the folks affected. All because of some moron.He's lucky no one was injured or killed. Very amazing seeing large tanker planes dropping fire retardants over our area. I hope they are not needed again but its good to know they are available. Hats off to our firefighters!! Unbelievable pic of the observatory. God they need some rain up there!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 3:47 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
The firefighters are to be commended for knocking this fire down as quickly as they did, although not before the loss of some homes and property and our hearts go out to the folks affected. All because of some moron.He's lucky no one was injured or killed. Very amazing seeing large tanker planes dropping fire retardants over our area. I hope they are not needed again but its good to know they are available. Hats off to our firefighters!! Unbelievable pic of the observatory. God they need some rain up there!
I agree, you see on TV planes like that fighting fires in California or somewhere else, its hard to believe to see them right here in Austin. This situation is very bad and is only going to get worse. Officials are advising not even to have BBQ's right now. I hope people are taking this situation very seriously, especially cigarette smokers...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 11:07 PM
Meh

Yesterday evening we went to my sister's house in Del Valle, and on the way we saw some kind of orange and white plane landing at the airport. I was guessing it was here for the fires. It almost had coast guard colors, though, that doesn't make any sense.

Fires really do start up quick. Last new year's, my sister's neighbor had some kind of small bottle rocket that flew into their neighbor's yard next to my sister's house and started the grass on fire right away. It was amazing how fast it started and quickly covered a 2 foot patch of grass. I yelled fire, since I could see it through the fence starting up. The neighbor jumped the fence and stomped it out while my brother in law hosed it down with the garden hose. Normally I wouldn't do it, but I would be tempted to call the police this summer if I saw someone shooting bottle rockets in the city. There's just way too much at stake to take a chance, and after seeing that grass catch on fire that easily and fast, and now this fire that grew so fast, I probably will call them.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 7:30 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...s-1426486.html
Quote:
City temporarily bans fire, smoking in parks, greenbelts
People hoping to barbecue at a city park this weekend should do their cooking at home first, officials said.

By Miguel Liscano

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Published: 7:56 p.m. Friday, April 22, 2011

If your Easter weekend plans involve cooking out at an Austin public park, think again.

The Parks and Recreation Department has temporarily banned smoking and the building of fires in city parks and greenbelts because of dangerously dry conditions, parks department spokesman Victor Ovalle said.

That includes using wood or charcoal for barbecue pits and grilling, which many park patrons are accustomed to firing up at weekend gatherings. Propane stoves, however, will be allowed in designated picnic areas, Ovalle said.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 7:35 AM
Meh

http://www.austin360.com/arts/first-...p-1426491.html
Quote:
First Night Austin cancels New Year's event; group to dissolve

By Jeanne Claire van Ryzin

AMERICAN-STATESMAN ARTS WRITER
Updated: 8:11 p.m. Friday, April 22, 2011
Published: 8:09 p.m. Friday, April 22, 2011

Citing a lack of donations, leaders of First Night Austin, the family-friendly New Year's Eve celebration, said that the event will not return to downtown this year and that the nonprofit organization will be dissolved.

Dewy Brooks, First Night Austin board president, said Thursday that for the second year in a row, fundraising for the event proved too difficult. "It was a hard decision to make, but we didn't have enough support to do what we wanted to do and make sure it was a quality event," Brooks said

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 4:48 PM

A smoking ban at public parks?? Never seen this before other than from activists who don't want you to even smoke in your own homes, but after the Oak Hill fires, we know how serious this drought problem is. I keep a soda can with about 1/3 water in it and use it as an ashtray in my car.
The Austin Zoo is only a few miles south of Oak Hill. There was a front that blew through Austin I believe the day after the fire was put out. Imagine if the fire was going strong and closing in on the zoo...pushed by the north winds. I wonder what kind of evacuation plans they have for their animals especially on short notice. If they didn't have a good plan, I bet they are working on one now.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 2:36 AM
Meh

First the city now the county is banning fires in its parks.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...n-1438785.html
Quote:
Tougher burn ban in effect for parks in Travis County

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Updated: 8:23 p.m. Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Published: 8:22 p.m. Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Travis County Parks enacted a more restrictive burn ban for all of its parks on Wednesday.

"During the past two weeks, Travis County Parks has experienced five wildfires in its parks; three of those were directly attributed to charcoal briquettes," the statement said.

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 1:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
ArthroCare moving R&D operations from California to Austin
By Kirk Ladendorf
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Published: 8:04 p.m. Monday, May 2, 2011

ArthroCare Corp. disclosed Monday that it will move its main research and development operations from Sunnyvale, Calif., to its headquarters in Austin before the end of this year.

The company, which makes and markets "minimally invasive surgical products" for spinal and other surgeries, said last month that it had leased two buildings at 7000 W. William Cannon Drive, near its headquarters in Southwest Austin.

That lease, for more than 136,000 square feet, is more than three times the space ArthroCare now occupies.

http://www.statesman.com/business/ar...o-1449725.html

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 6:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Austin condo sales up, price stable
Austin Business Journal
Date: Monday, May 9, 2011, 10:50am CDT

Austin downtown condominium resales increased from $4.4 million last April to $10.2 million the same time this year, while the average price per foot sold was stable month to month, according to multiple listing data reported on The Downtown Austin Blog.

Of the new development properties included in the report, the following closed deals in April:

Four Seasons Residences, six
Austonian, six
Spring Condos, seven
W Austin Hotel and Residences, six

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...ce-stable.html

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 7:32 PM
~Hook'em~

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...ess+Journal%29

Quote:
Austin Energy top green power seller in U.S.
Austin Business Journal
Date: Monday, May 9, 2011, 1:12pm CDT

Austin Energy was ranked top renewable power seller among 850 utilities nationwide, a report showed Monday.

The U.S. Department of Energy release said Austin Energy sold 754.2 million kilowatt-hours last year, edging out Portland General Electric’s 735.7 million, which has about twice as many total customers. Austin Energy serves 417,000 people.

The local utility provider also out sold eighth-place finisher CPS Energy of San Antonio’s, which serves more than 700,000 electric customers.
Way to go Austin! =)

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 5:52 AM
Meh

I really hope APD gets a handle on this. 6th Street has been in decline for a while now.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...f-1479414.html
Quote:
Police: Fight between gangs led to shooting of Sixth Street bystanders

By Isadora Vail

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Published: 8:22 p.m. Monday, May 16, 2011

A quarrel between two groups of gang members led a juvenile to fire shots, striking four bystanders early Sunday morning on Sixth Street, police said Monday.

Witnesses told police that they saw a quarrel between a group of people wearing red and two men wearing blue near Sabine and Sixth streets, where close to 200 people were walking shortly after the bars had closed, police said.

The quarrel escalated into a fight, said Austin police Cmdr. Donald Baker, who oversees the organized crime division. Then a 16-year-old pulled out a gun and started firing, he said.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I really hope APD gets a handle on this. 6th Street has been in decline for a while now.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...f-1479414.html
I very much second your notion. I really hate it when people think of 6th St. when they think of Austin. Austin is not at all what 6th is turning out to be.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 3:32 PM

Thanks Hurricane Katrina

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
Thanks Hurricane Katrina
Not sure if you've heard of this but Austin is said to be a key point for drug cartels to distribute. That might be an even bigger reason than the hurricane.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 5:02 PM

According to a APD friend who works the downtown area most of the bangers are Katrina refugees....Cartel members don't wear red and blue.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 9:45 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Overall I feel quite safe in Downtown Austin, however you will not find me in that area of Downtown, and rarely on 6th street. Mostly because of the been there, done that kinda thing. 6th was the place to go when I was 18 through 28. Then it got old and I started going to the Warehouse District. Now unless there is a special event on 6th, I stay away. Warehouse District, West End area, a few clubs on Red River is the closest to the East end of Downtown I go.

Yes East 6th has begun to decline. What ever happened to the 6th street revitalization efforts to re-make East 6th?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin