HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 3:32 PM

Speaking of water and floods, (and since it's raining today) here's a few I found at the Portal to Texas History website
( http://texashistory.unt.edu/ ) of the 1935 flood.

For each photo, you can click on the "extra-large" link to go to a much bigger version of the photo.

Trees on a flooded riverbank during the 1935 flood.

extra-large photo

Two unidentified boys stand next to a flooded riverbank during the 1935 flood.

extra-large photo

View down a street with homes on either side and standing water in the road during the 1935 flood.

extra-large photo

Exterior view of the Night Hawk restaurant showing an unidentified man walking in the flood waters towards the restaurant during the 1935 flood.

extra-large photo

Aerial photograph of the 1935 flood.

extra-large photo

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 6:38 PM

outstanding photos of the flood. Thanks for posting. Let's keep it rolling!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 11:26 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this photo was most likely take from where the convention center is today - facing east you can see the interesection of cesar chavez (water st) and red river. Waller Creek was flooded.

Last edited by Downtown_Austin; Sep 22, 2009 at 11:38 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 9:47 AM

Here's one more 1935 flood photo from Rice University's Severe Storm Prediction, Education and Evacuation from Disaster (SSPEED) Center website.

http://hydrology.rice.edu/sspeed/sspeed_gallery.html

And several more from Texassailor.com

http://www.texassailor.com/2_flood.htm

And some construction of Mansfild Dam in 1938 from the same website

Last edited by LoneStarMike; Sep 23, 2009 at 10:02 AM. Reason: found additional images

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 1:53 AM
Meh

I read once the river was a mile wide in that flood.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 3:35 AM

In that last picture you can see why Sometimes Island pops up during droughts.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 10:33 AM
passion for patterns

I have an old map of Austin from about 1920 somewhere I wanted to include, but I can't find it. It had a few interesting place markers on it.

It called Lake Austin "Lake McDonald" and referred to Westlake, at least what might be called Upper Westlake today (i.e. the area near Davenport Ranch shopping center that is in Austin proper) as Chatauqua! And it also referred to the area directly north of Mount Bonnell (probably the area between 2222 and Cat Mountain) as Spicewood Springs. I have always thought that Spicewood Springs was kind of a fake place name, since it is seemingly meant to describe a non-existent body of water for an area over 5 miles long.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
I have an old map of Austin from about 1920 somewhere I wanted to include, but I can't find it. It had a few interesting place markers on it.

It called Lake Austin "Lake McDonald" and referred to Westlake, at least what might be called Upper Westlake today (i.e. the area near Davenport Ranch shopping center that is in Austin proper) as Chatauqua! And it also referred to the area directly north of Mount Bonnell (probably the area between 2222 and Cat Mountain) as Spicewood Springs. I have always thought that Spicewood Springs was kind of a fake place name, since it is seemingly meant to describe a non-existent body of water for an area over 5 miles long.
wow. i hope you can find that!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 9:37 PM

Quote:

It called Lake Austin "Lake McDonald" and referred to Westlake, at least what might be called Upper Westlake today (i.e. the area near Davenport Ranch shopping center that is in Austin proper) as Chatauqua!
Here's some info from texasescapes.com

http://www.texasescapes.com/AustinTe...LakeAustin.htm

Riverboats were very popular at the turn of the century and made regular excursions to what was then known as Lake McDonald. A paddleboat called the Ben Hur used to take people up to Camp Chautauqua for parties before the Colorado River was dammed.

Here is a postcard of the Ben Hur from http://www.austinpostcard.com

The original dam which formed Lake McDonald was called the Austin Dam. The press often referred to it as The Great Dam or The Great Granite Dam. It gave way during a flash flood on August 7, 1900 and its rubble formed what is now Red Bud Isle. Many of the dam's original granite blocks are in the parking lot today.

The rubble of the dam –large granite blocks, rubble infill and chunks of concrete– formed Red Bud Isle in a matter of hours. Over the years, silt, trash dumping, construction waste and lots of new greenery would fill in the island and make it seem like it had always been there.

Source

A couple of postcards of the dam from austinpostcard.com

Postcard of the dam after the flood

Quote:
And it also referred to the area directly north of Mount Bonnell (probably the area between 2222 and Cat Mountain) as Spicewood Springs. I have always thought that Spicewood Springs was kind of a fake place name, since it is seemingly meant to describe a non-existent body of water for an area over 5 miles long.
More info from texasescapes.com:

What is now Lake Austin was once a thriving area of early settlements. The water has since covered up several springs. Power House Springs was discovered during the construction of one of the dams in 1893. Bee Springs, just above Tom Miller Dam, is under the convergence of Bee Creek and Lake Austin. Mormon Springs was the site of a Mormon settlement in 1846 and was also used for a gristmill. Mount Bonnell Springs is a cluster of water sources near the mountain. Santa Monica Springs was also a popular watering hole and many artifacts were found there

I'll bet Spicewood Springs was another spring that was covered up when Lake Austin was formed.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
I'll bet Spicewood Springs was another spring that was covered up when Lake Austin was formed.
Perhaps another explanation (or explanations -- search this book and there 3 are or more mentions of different "Spicewood Springs"):

http://books.google.com/books?id=bvJ...ngs%22&f=false

One is described as being at the intersection of Ceberry and Spicewood Springs Rd (p 434), which I find interesting... I used to live in that area and don't remember anything like a spring. But it would be fun to look again!

Another section (p102) says that Krause Springs was formerly known as Spicewood Springs and served as the water supply for Spicewood, TX.

Yet another section refers to Spicewood Springs as being about 8 miles north of Salado.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 4:06 AM
passion for patterns

Here are a few pictures from Northwest Austin in the late 1980's:

I don't know who the guy is, but this is the entrance to the Anderson Mill HEB that used to be in the Travis Square shopping center. You can see the K-mart sign, and you may notice the old "Bank of the Hills Tower" - which is now a Chase tower I believe. The trees to the back are mostly still there, but if you were to stand in this spot today, you would probably be somewhere in the middle of Lakeline Plaza (probably just past the Best Buy.) Also, if you were to face this angle today you'd see a huge highway interchange (45 and 183).

A picture from inside (not sure who the woman is). Notice the "THEBAG"s to the lower left - that was the awesome clever postmodern wording they used to put on the paper sacks but got rid of by the early 90's.

My aunt is the one opening the door to the car - her best friend is the one facing the camera. That's a 1986 Mitsubishi Cordia! This is from Anderson Mill and 183 - the water tower showing in this picture is also showing in the first picture (of the HEB where Lakeline is today.)

And check out the SKAGGS ALPHA BETA sign!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 9:35 AM
Austinite

WOW! What a blast from the past! I spent much of my childhood at the old Travis Square and Skaggs.

The Skaggs became Alberston's (circa 1989), which in turn moved across the street in the late 90s. The building now houses a Lacks furniture store. Prior to relocating, I checked out the Albertson's video rental section. It was literally frozen in time, housing the same old 80s movies, in their ORIGINAL cases (circa 1985)... faded and everything.

Travis Square was quite the hangout too. Anyone remember the old 'Gary's Sub Shoppe'? For years there was a "Furr's coming soon" sign in front of the center.... which was never built.

The old HEB was located roughly where Applebee's and Linens n Things now stand. Ironically, the Linens building sits vacant today...following its corporate shutdown.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Here are a few pictures from Northwest Austin in the late 1980's:

LOVE IT! Let's get more photos like this which capture Austinites throughout the 70s and 80s.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 4:00 PM
BANNED

That really brings back memories. I use to date a girl that worked at that HEB. She was a stripper at the Yellow Rose prior to that and was trying to straighten up her life. It wasn't this chick though:

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 8:09 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
WOW! What a blast from the past! I spent much of my childhood at the old Travis Square and Skaggs.

The Skaggs became Alberston's (circa 1989), which in turn moved across the street in the late 90s. The building now houses a Lacks furniture store. Prior to relocating, I checked out the Albertson's video rental section. It was literally frozen in time, housing the same old 80s movies, in their ORIGINAL cases (circa 1985)... faded and everything.

Travis Square was quite the hangout too. Anyone remember the old 'Gary's Sub Shoppe'? For years there was a "Furr's coming soon" sign in front of the center.... which was never built.
I remember Gary's Subs - I specifically remember our family ordering a bunch of subs for family and family friends on the day we moved from apartments off Lake Creek Parkway to a house in Anderson Mill. They were delivered on these flat pieces of cardboard wrapped in saran. It was located between the Yaring's and the HEB in the 'corner'.

Does anyone remember the Video Station rental place across the street in the unloved, perpetually empty North Fork Plaza?

I went through a bunch of photo stacks last night and found one that shows the Yaring's at Travis Square but I can't find it now!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 4:23 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
Perhaps another explanation (or explanations -- search this book and there 3 are or more mentions of different "Spicewood Springs"):

http://books.google.com/books?id=bvJ...ngs%22&f=false

One is described as being at the intersection of Ceberry and Spicewood Springs Rd (p 434), which I find interesting... I used to live in that area and don't remember anything like a spring. But it would be fun to look again!

Another section (p102) says that Krause Springs was formerly known as Spicewood Springs and served as the water supply for Spicewood, TX.

Yet another section refers to Spicewood Springs as being about 8 miles north of Salado.
In that stretch of Spicewood Springs road from Loop 360 to 183, what's the creek that the road crosses? I had always assumed that was Spicewood Springs. Maybe not, though.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 4:29 AM
Closed account

Anyone remember a fried chicken place on the east side of 183, south of Anderson Mill Rd., in the 80s? Can't think of the name of it. Best fried chicken I've ever had. I lived out there at the time, and had lunch there often. Back then, there was no freeway; just a divided highway that was horrendously traffic-clogged. That's why I moved away from that area.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 8:33 AM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Denson View Post
Anyone remember a fried chicken place on the east side of 183, south of Anderson Mill Rd., in the 80s? Can't think of the name of it. Best fried chicken I've ever had. I lived out there at the time, and had lunch there often. Back then, there was no freeway; just a divided highway that was horrendously traffic-clogged. That's why I moved away from that area.
There was a Kentucky Fried Chicken right around Spicewood Springs and 183 roughly where the water tower is. And there was a Golden Chick or something similarly named at Anderson Mill and 183 in the "Plaza 183" shopping center - there also used to be a Shipley's Donuts in a nearly identical building next door.

Also, there was a 2-J's which I always knew to be a hamburger joint but may have also sold fried chicken, which was located just before Anderson Mill (actually, where Balcones Club used to have a stoplight). Right near the intersection of Roxie Road and 183. This was a mexican pottery/imports place for a while, not sure if the building exists anymore.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 2:50 PM
Austinite

Quote:
There was a Kentucky Fried Chicken right around Spicewood Springs and 183 roughly where the water tower is. And there was a Golden Chick or something similarly named at Anderson Mill and 183 in the "Plaza 183" shopping center - there also used to be a Shipley's Donuts in a nearly identical building next door.

Also, there was a 2-J's which I always knew to be a hamburger joint but may have also sold fried chicken, which was located just before Anderson Mill (actually, where Balcones Club used to have a stoplight). Right near the intersection of Roxie Road and 183. This was a mexican pottery/imports place for a while, not sure if the building exists anymore.
Man I loved 2-J's! Its been gone for years. They even served chicken fried steak, which was a mortal enemy of gastrointestinal tracts everywhere. The original 2J's was located on N Lamar across from Central Market, now the home of EZ's (an old pic of the 2J hangs inside). At one time there was a 2Js in Round Rock as well (on North Mays).

My parents tell me a now-defunct burger chain occupied the 183 2J's site prior. You may also remember the two adjacent restaurants in successive blocks... a Diary Queen (now an Enterprise Rental Car) and a Pizza Hut (now home to a vacant gas station).

I definitely remember Video Station...that store kept expanding into adjacent spaces in the shopping center, including the old MotoPhoto one-hour shop. That corner of Northfork was torn down years ago in advance of the 183 expansion (cut off where Strait Music and the Mattress Factory are now....and at one time a London's Fabrics). A friend tells me that Video Station moved to Taylor at some point in the past 15 years.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 3:12 PM

Photo of the construction of the Pennybacker bridge from Texasfreeway.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin