HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 6:28 AM
Here we stAy

Or better, move it to PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 7:47 AM

Sorry to get personal econ...I feel very strongly about global warming. But, I will look at the info you provided.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 8:22 AM

In 2005, Scientific American reported: “Scientific American took a sample of 30 of the 1,400 signatories (of the Oregon Petition Project) claiming to hold a Ph.D. in a climate-related science. Of the 26 we were able to identify in various databases, 11 said they still agreed with the petition —- one was an active climate researcher, two others had relevant expertise, and eight signed based on an informal evaluation. Six said they would not sign the petition today, three did not remember any such petition, one had died, and five did not answer repeated messages. Crudely extrapolating, the petition supporters include a core of about 200 climate researchers – a respectable number, though rather a small fraction of the climatological community."

The 'Friends of Science' is an oil-industry-funded group set up to deny the science of climate change and has embarrassed itself by trying to overstate its connections to the University of Calgary.

NewsBusters.org -Exposing Liberal Media Bias, like Fox news and the 700 Club is a great source of completely unbiased/non-agended/unembedded god's honest truth -NOT.

Basically most of these sources are about descrediting anything/anyone which does not support a conservative political agenda for businesses and industries that do not like regulations that limit their ability to pollute or poison us or our environment. What the majority of scientists call sound science, they call junk science. And what they call 'sound science', the majority of scientists usually call junk science. Nice try Sponge Bob.

Back on topic? I was down at the Capitol tonight and noticed how much more visible the new US Bank tower is from the Capitol than any other skyscrapers. I think the crown will make a big difference. It makes it just "neck craning" height.

Last edited by ozone; May 2, 2007 at 10:29 AM.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 12:58 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
Or better, move it to PM.
Your right, my bad.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 1:48 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Palladio has space for 16 silver screens
By Bob Shallit - Bee Columnist
Published 12:00 am PDT Wednesday, May 2, 2007
Story appeared in BUSINESS section, Page D1

Execs at Elliott Homes are naming only one of the anchor tenants at the outdoor Palladio at Broadstone lifestyle center they're planning in Folsom.

It's Cinema West, a Petaluma-based company putting in a 16-screen theater in the project's first phase.

But we've obtained a tentative list of other tenants for the center, to be built along East Bidwell Street between Broadstone Parkway and Iron Point Road.

Elliott's "working lease plan" lists Whole Foods as one likely anchor, taking a 45,000-square-foot site. Others listed as either having pending leases or letters of intent include bookseller Barnes & Noble; Coldwater Creek; and national restaurateurs PF Chang's, Ruth's Chris Steak House and Devon Seafood Grill.

Elliott's Russ Davis says he can't comment on any possible tenants except for Cinema West, which he says is making its first appearance in the Sacramento area.

As for other likely tenants, "We have confidentiality (agreements) with tenants that have signed letters of intent ... so I can't comment on how many are real and how many are just on a wish list."

Davis does say the project, adjacent to a planned Kaiser medical campus, is moving ahead. Grading is set to begin this summer and paving will be complete by year's end.

"We'll see buildings under construction next year," he says.

The first phase of the 500,000-square-foot project is strictly retail. A second phase could include a hotel or condos, he says.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 3:32 PM

I wonder how this will impact that new cineplex in El Dorado Hills. Has anyone been there yet? (it opened right after I moved to Colorado). Also, there are the theaters what like 2 miles down Iron Point? And then the plans to raze the drive-in and replace it with a cineplex at 50/Bradshaw.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 4:01 PM

Are they planning to raze the drive-in on Bradshaw? This is the first I've heard about it. Would that be in Sac Co. or Rancho? Just how movies screens can we absorb? Maybe someone should start thinking of other ways to entertain us?

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 4:16 PM

^ Yeah, there have been several stories about it in the biz journal now for about two years or so. A developer has plans to raze the Bradshaw drive-in and replace it with, from what I remember, a huge cineplex ala the Spectrum in Irvine. I believe this was supposed to have happened already though so I'm not sure what the current status is.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 4:31 PM

Well the drive-in screens are still standing.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 5:11 PM
Here we stAy

Yeah, it'll be gone, but who knows exactly when. They've been planning to tear it down for years now. I think the developer also wants to put in a Best Buy there. Oh, and that would be in the county, and Sacramento's sphere of influence.

And I really can't see why Folsom needs another multiplex theater. The one off Folsom Blvd is still nice, and like Andy said, there's that huge new one in EDH.

I went the one in EDH once, right after it opened. It's a nice place, but it still feels weird that it was in EDH.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 8:29 PM

From what I know about the 50/Bradshaw Drive-In, it was originally supposed to be a 26-screen movie theater. They even had a COMING SOON sign at another Century. This was maybe 5 or 10 years ago. The last I heard, it was going to be a shopping complex with some office and possibly some residential. I'll have to look it up, now. The site is in Sacramento County. South of Folsom and North of Old Placerville Rd, Rancho Cordova begins at Bradshaw.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 8:40 PM

Found some stuff:

Quote:
Coming up: Big retail, 20 screens
Sacramento Business Journal - September 13, 2002
by Mark Anderson
Staff Writer

Century Theatres Inc. is planning a massive double feature — movies and retail — in a large new center at Highway 50 and Bradshaw Road.

Century wants to develop Bradshaw Landing, a 20-screen movie complex and retail center at Highway 50 and Bradshaw Road. It would mean tearing down one of the area's last two drive-ins, Century's Sacramento 6, perhaps as soon as next spring.

The center would include a big-box store, four large restaurants, a bookstore and other retailers, plus a modern movie theater with stadium seating. Plans call for 360,000 square feet of new buildings on 40 acres.

The company won't say what the development will cost. When it proposed a smaller center at the same site five years ago, it was said to be a $30 million project. It delayed that project because of market conditions, nearby construction and other ventures.

"The drive-in is not the highest and best use for that land. It is a freeway location right off an offramp. This center is a great project, and it is finally moving," said Paul Hahn, economic development director for Sacramento County. "It will be a good catalyst for redevelopment of Bradshaw Road and Folsom Boulevard."

The center will also produce sales tax for the county, Hahn said. "And we need it."

Main hurdle is probably traffic: "We are still negotiating with a number of tenants and we won't know what we will be building until we know the tenant mix," said Mike Plymesser, head of development with San Rafael-based Century Theatres.

The development requires an environmental report, and that work is being done now. The notice of preparation was made public last month, with comments due by the end of this month. The full environmental document could be started in a couple of months and then could take four to six months to get approvals.

The main issues facing the project likely will have to do with traffic.

The drive-in doesn't create any traffic during the day, and its showtimes are after dark — when most commute traffic is long gone. When Bradshaw Landing is built, the theaters will run films all day long, and there will be a mix of other businesses.

There is now a traffic signal at Oates Drive and Bradshaw, which has double left-turn lanes into the area. What happens at that intersection will depend on the findings of a traffic survey being performed by the county, said Rajiv Parikh, senior vice president of development for Syufy Enterprises Inc., the San Rafael-based company that develops theaters operated by Century Theatres, which is a Syufy subsidiary.

A light-rail station also serves the site.

The new plans are up substantially from the 200,000-square-foot development on 30 acres that Century proposed in 1997. That plan envisioned 25 screens and 110,000 square feet of retail.

The theater company has been buying land around the drive-in and massaging the site plan for five years, which has allowed the state Franchise Tax Board time to complete its 1 million-square-foot office next door.

Films would flicker through April: Bradshaw Landing is just outside the proposed city limit of Rancho Cordova, but it will serve the area with entertainment, retail, and chances for upscale restaurants "that we definitely need in the area," said Curt Haven, executive director of the Rancho Cordova Chamber of Commerce.

"I've been part of that since the beginning, working with Syufy," he said. "We are 100 percent behind the project. It is nothing but positives."

Century plans to operate the drive-in through April, when the company hopes to have the permits to begin construction of Bradshaw Landing. Total construction should take just over a year, Parikh said.

Century operates about half of the region's movie screens, and should gain market share as it replaces its Sacramento 6 drive-in with the 20 screens, and swaps out its nine-screen Century Cinedome at Interstate 80 and Greenback Lane with a new 16-screen theater there.

Work on the latter is under way. The foundation was poured during the last month and the walls were being raised this week. The new Century Theatre at Greenback will open in March, and the old theater, which is still showing films, will be demolished when the new theater opens. The old theater site will be used for parking.

Founded in 1941 by Ray Syufy, the company has grown from a single movie theater in Vallejo to 850 screens in 11 states. The company plans to add 250 screens over the next three years.

Century's new theaters all feature stadium seating, rocking seats, THX sound systems and digital sound.

Cycling up: Century's two largest local competitors, Regal Cinemas and United Artists Theatres, merged earlier this year after going through separate bankruptcy reorganizations over the past four years.

"You had a variety of the larger players in the industry reorganize after a long refurbishment cycle," said Chris Dixon, entertainment analyst with UBS PaineWebber in New York. The expense of building newer and modern theaters saddled some large companies with debt they couldn't service while waiting for the market to absorb all the new capacity.

A couple of strong movie years and more efficient operations have turned the corner for many of the larger companies, Dixon said, adding that Syufy has "done a tremendous job," as have other regional independent movie operators.

"The industry has gone through its growing pains and it has reorganized itself," Plymesser said. "We never had any problems. We've always been profitable, even through the hard times."

Built in the mid-1970s, Sacramento 6 drive-in is one of the top three performing drive-ins Century operates. The company operates seven multi-screen drive-ins, with locations in San Jose, two in Phoenix, Las Vegas and Sparks, Nev., and one in Concord.

It ran the 49er drive-in on Marysville Boulevard off Interstate 80 until closing it just over two years ago.

"We'd love to figure out what to do there," Plymesser said of the Marysville Boulevard location. For now, the company is letting the drive-in lie fallow, serving that area with its theaters on Greenback Lane and conceding business to the Regal Natomas Marketplace at Truxel Road and Interstate 80.

The only other drive-in in Greater Sacramento is the Sunrise on Greenback Lane east of Sunrise, although there's also a drive-in in Marysville.

"As good as a project as this is, I'm going to miss the Sacramento 6 drive-in," Hahn said. "I actually go to that drive-in."

Century most likely will phase out the rest of its drive-in theaters over the next five years, Plymesser said.

"A lot of people are nostalgic about drive-ins," he said, "but they are all slower than they used to be."

Quote:
It's showtime in capital for Syufy's development arm
SyWest buying land, making plans for shopping centers, offices, housing
Sacramento Business Journal - April 7, 2006
by Kelly Johnson
Staff Writer

SyWest Development isn't well known like its parent company, but that will likely change.

The Bay Area developer is one of several subsidiaries of Syufy Enterprises, owner of the Century Theatres chain. SyWest has maintained a low profile, but the retail development industry is beginning to take notice as the developer buys land and details major projects, primarily shopping centers but also industrial, office and attached housing.

SyWest is working on its first three projects in Greater Sacramento -- in Sacramento, Roseville and Elk Grove. They're among more than a dozen SyWest is planning in California. The developer also is pursuing projects in Nevada, Arizona, Colorado and Texas.

Bill Vierra, SyWest president and chief operating officer, likes Sacramento for its long-term stability and growth, and anticipates building more projects here.

Sacramento would allow SyWest to diversify its Bay Area-heavy holdings. Vierra's also very familiar with the market, having lived and worked here from the mid '80s to the mid '90s as a retail commercial broker.

"I'm here every week," he said.

SyWest's largest local project is one that has been anticipated and repeatedly revised over many years -- the redevelopment of the drive-in theater at Highway 50 and Bradshaw Road into a 400,000-square-foot shopping center. Talks with various government agencies continue. A draft environmental impact report is almost complete.

In Roseville, SyWest has lined up Ethan Allen, La-Z-Boy and others to anchor a shopping center at Highway 65 and Blue Oaks Boulevard. Vierra hopes to break ground in May.

SyWest expects to break ground by early June on a much smaller project, a 4,500-square-foot retail building at Big Horn Boulevard and Monetta Drive.
Aggressive growth

SyWest isn't the size of a real estate investment trust, the type of entity for many large retail development and management companies. But SyWest is rapidly adding to its portfolio, thanks to capital from its parent company that allows SyWest to buy with cash.

"We're not a REIT by any stretch," Vierra said. "I would say we're extremely aggressive. We don't have a large or cumbersome corporate structure to contend with. We're extremely nimble."

SyWest buys existing centers and undeveloped land, and builds shopping centers, industrial space, offices and residential projects. Some are mixed-use developments.

"We're not married to any one format of real estate. It just needs to be good real estate," Vierra said. Retail, though, will continue to be SyWest's big focus.

SyWest buys and builds to keep. It wants to integrate into the community for the long term. It is selling space to Ethan Allen, La-Z-Boy and one other tenant at the planned Roseville center. SyWest won't sell any space at The Landing center. "Traditionally," Vierra said, "we've never sold real estate."

"For us, we don't have timing pressures, financial pressures," he added. "We buy and we hold. It allows us to be very patient. We can allow the market to dictate the highest and best use of the land."

Outside of Sacramento, SyWest is working on retail projects in Hayward, Salinas, Pleasant Hill, Concord, Fremont, Newark, San Jose, South San Francisco, Orange and Reno. The company is planning mixed-use developments in Napa and Daly City, an industrial park in Phoenix, and attached housing in Redwood City.

"They have a vast amount of real estate holdings," said Dan Gray, a partner of Gray & Reynolds Inc., a Bay Area development and management company that focuses on retail. SyWest is a "quality operation" with the capacity, expertise and finances to do any project. "They are a force to clearly monitor."

When Gray & Reynolds decided to sell an Oakland center, it went directly to SyWest. "We wanted it to be in good hands," Gray said.

SyWest seems extremely committed to growing its portfolio and has the capital behind its goals, said Steve Tyrrell, senior vice president and director of investment sales for the Buzz Oates Cos. in Sacramento. Tyrrell hopes to find an investment deal that he can work on with Vierra. The two worked together at retail brokerage Bishop Hawk in the 1990s.

"Bill's an extremely talented individual," said Tyrrell, who added Vierra is creative, hardworking, trustful and a class act.

"When I think of SyWest, I think of Bill," Tyrrell said. "To me, Bill makes that company."

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 8:48 PM

Also, they have a Draft EIR that is under public review until June 1, 2007 with the County.
http://www.dera.saccounty.net/portal...0416110942.pdf
It is for a 20-screen 3,800 +/- seat multiplex theater, restaurant, retail, and office complex. It is going to be 439,706 sq ft. on 37.5 acres. Apparently, 3 of the signs are going to be over 25 feet tall! (woo hoo! ) There is an exception to build a building taller than 40 feet!(that's better than the FTB complex buildings...they're only 3 stories). I thought this quote was of interest...
Quote:
"The subject proposal provides a floor area ratio (FAR) less than the minimum FAR specified in the General Plan. Thus, the Board of Supervisors is the appropriate authority to determine that the minimum density specified in the General Plan is not feasible for the site."
. I don't know that another developer would do something as urban as they want there. I'd rather have anything there than that damn weed-infested drive-in. It was nice in it's day. But, the city is a LOT different now. A drive-in belongs in a place like Wilton...NOT unincorporated Sacramento.

Edit: From a Sac Business Journal article 1/1/07:

Quote:
Best Buy and Bed Bath & Beyond might be the new anchor stores for the much-delayed shopping and entertainment complex slated to replace the Bradshaw Road drive-in theater west of Rancho Cordova.

The two big-box retailers intend to locate in The Landing, a 400,000-square-foot center proposed for Bradshaw and Highway 50, sources say. SyWest Development's president, Bill Vierra, wouldn't comment on possible tenants, but he says he anticipates the 38-acre project will go to the Sacramento County Planning Commission for review in February.

Last edited by creamcityleo79; May 2, 2007 at 8:57 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 3:39 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Thanks for the research, neuhickman.

I wondering about that space. Part of that space used to be a modern Ice Rink. Sacramento's professional Ice hockey team played there, and so did I!

Later, The Ice Rink building was completely remodeled into a cheese factory. The cheese factory went out of business several years later.

Then they completely razed the building. You would never know that's what stood there.

I heard nimbys stopped the 20 screens from getting built back in 2003.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 3:45 AM

What do you guys think about the renovations of the shopping center on Folsom and Bradshaw (NW corner)? There was a critical article about it in the Bee that seemed to be saying it was cheesy. I commented on it. I think it'll be a good catalyst for the other centers along Folsom. That center was in BAD shape after years of neglect. I think it looks nice now. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's completed.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 5:05 AM
Repeat!

^I'm not crazy over it, but it's much than what was there before.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 2:57 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Century (or Syufy) was aquired by Cinemark. I assume nationwide, but i know for certain that the Century Cinearts in Evanston is now called Cinemark.

The employee said that Century was purchased by Cinemark..

Not sure how this will effect the plans for Bradshaw (or Downtown Plaza).

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:14 PM

I'd be bummed to see the drive-in torn down... seems like more sprawl to me if a box store goes in - more draw for folks to live further from DT to be close to their perceived "conveniences"

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 6:29 PM

I went to that drive-in once with my wife a few years ago and we both vowed never to go back. I'm surprised it's still standing honestly. It had the dirtiest restrooms I've ever seen in my life (and I've seen some bad ones). And the lady who took our money at the gate tried to pretend we gave her a $10 instead of a $20 and only gave us the correct change when we called her on it and refused to pull forward. Good riddance to that place if it goes.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcox20 View Post
I'd be bummed to see the drive-in torn down... seems like more sprawl to me if a box store goes in - more draw for folks to live further from DT to be close to their perceived "conveniences"
What do you think a weedy, nasty parking lot is if not sprawl? I can understand if it were being built 10 miles South on Bradshaw if you were calling it sprawl. You're talking about a place that is less than 10 miles outside of downtown in the middle of a developed, established neighborhood. Much of the surrounding area was built in the 60's and 70's. This is basically a BADLY needed urban infill project. Believe me, I grew up in Rosemont. I had my fair share of fun there and remember how cool it was that the area that I lived in was SO popular every Tuesday night. But, just because it was a good thing then doesn't mean it's a good thing now! I agree that there could be a more urban, dense aspect to what is currently proposed. But, it's better than what's there now. I'm also not sure what you mean by drawing folks to living further from DT. The houses are ALREADY THERE! They've been there for decades. Why should someone in Rosemont have to drive to Arden Fair Mall to get to the nearest Best Buy? I'm glad a developer is willing to spend millions in this area that has been neglected by the county for so long.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area