HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
I'm very disappointed with SMF. All that money poured into a $1 billion expansion and the only new service since the opening of Terminal B are Volaris to Guadalajara, Delta to Seattle, and American Eagle to LAX. I was a big proponent of the expansion project but now I'm starting to wonder if it was best consolidating all services at a expanded Terminal A. Reno has pretty much everything we have - and a flight to London. Talk about insult to injury.
This was thought to be an upgrade looking forward decades, not a few years! The recession, I'm sure, had a HUGE impact on airline travel into and out of SMF! As the economy gets better, the airport will add more destinations (ie. SMF to BOS nonstop) and the airport will be prepared for this with the upgrades they have made. Thinking ahead is better than catching up!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
This was thought to be an upgrade looking forward decades, not a few years! The recession, I'm sure, had a HUGE impact on airline travel into and out of SMF! As the economy gets better, the airport will add more destinations (ie. SMF to BOS nonstop) and the airport will be prepared for this with the upgrades they have made. Thinking ahead is better than catching up!
For what it's worth, the new BOS-SMF route just made my life a whole lot easier when going out west. Hopefully I'm not the only one.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 8:29 PM

Also, this........

Valentine annoucement: New flight from Sacramento International to Dallas’ Love Field

Quote:
Southwest Airlines will begin its first daily, non-stop service from Sacramento International to Dallas’ Love Field, putting travelers closer to the action once they land in the Texas city.

“We’re very happy that Southwest is offering non-stop service to this popular destination,” said Sacramento’s Director of Airports John Wheat. “Love Field is convenient to both business travelers and those who want to see the sights of Dallas.”

The service to Love Field begins on April 8.

Airport officials noted that Sacramento passengers can already fly nonstop to the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. However, the new route offers an alternative airport with easy access to the city – Love Field being just six miles from downtown Dallas.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/tra...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 9:38 PM

Yeah I think it's VERY premature to declare the 1 billion dollar expansion a failure, it was completed right when the recession hit. We need to judge it 10 years out, at least.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Yeah I think it's VERY premature to declare the 1 billion dollar expansion a failure, it was completed right when the recession hit. We need to judge it 10 years out, at least.
If anything it was a very necessary upgrade to an airport that serves a region of over 3 million people. Should there be more services? YES! Will there be more? Undoubtedly there will...especially if this week is any indication...and the expansion will make those possible!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 4:21 PM
silly slackergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by otnemarcaS View Post
Jetblue announces new non-stop flights from Sacramento to Boston. Seasonal only though.

JetBlue is adding nonstop flights between Sacramento and Boston, the airline said Wednesday.

The carrier will begin flying between the two cities beginning June 18. The flights will operate Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays.

It is the first time Boston has been available as a nonstop from Sacramento International Airport. Tickets go on sale Wednesday.

Read more here:
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/tra...le9727661.html
NOW WE ARE TALKING! I remember when I worked at SMF about a 1000 years ago, Boston was near the top of our list for new service. I don't care if seasonal and 4x/week, this is a pretty big deal. My few remaining connections out there were totally surprised when notified and are simply delighted, as should be all of Sacramento (at least they were right about Visalia!). Some MUCH needed good news for the airport. Let's hope it's the start of much more to the east coast.

Southwest breaking with DAL is also a big deal. No airline in Sacramento fought the new terminal-related fees more virulently than SWA. They have been extremely reticent to expand service, but the demand must be clear. Maybe this will shake some more out of them as well.

We can't call the new Terminal B a failure. It hit the market at precisely the wrong time. Once management finds a way to further lower costs (they work on it everyday), we can expect more service, but it is certainly going to take longer than we would like. The high per-passenger costs ,and miserable economy took a toll and probably set SMF back at least five years, but long-term, the new terminal was absolutely needed and will prove successful.

Glad to see the new hotel going up as well. When I was working on the Village at Sacramento State (2008-2010), we looked at the airport hotel project as part of the new terminal. Not moving forward on that was greatly the result of airport management at that time who made demands of developers as though it were still 2006 and money was plentiful and cheap. That project could have started if some people at the airport hadn't been so unrealistically demanding. Ultimately though, their greed saved us. Given the resulting plummet in passenger counts, we would have lost our shirts!

All-in-all, a pretty good week for SMF...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 6:08 PM

I've been waiting for this route for a long time.

Aeromexico to fly nonstop between Sacramento and Mexico City

Aeroméxico will offer nonstop flights between Sacramento and Mexico City beginning April 6.

The flights from Sacramento International Airport to Mexico City will occur on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays, leaving at 1:10 a.m. Flights from Mexico City to Sacramento leave at 8:35 p.m. on Sundays, Tuesdays and Fridays.

The flights to Mexico City will allow for one-stop connections to Cancún, Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas and San Jose in Costa Rica.

“We are very happy to get this entrée into Mexico City,” said Sacramento International Airport spokeswoman Laurie Slothower. “It is obviously easy access to the capital city of Mexico, but also plugs in our passengers to all kinds of important Latin American routes and, of course, the resort communities of Mexico.”

The Aeroméxico deal was announced a few days after the Sacramento County Board of Supervisors approved an updated package of financial incentives for the airport to offer airlines to encourage them to increase service. The Sacramento airport has had various new service incentive programs in place since 2002.

Under the incentive program, the airport will waive landing fees for one year on Aeroméxico’s new Mexico City flights. The airport also will help the airline market the flights to potential customers.

Sacramento airport officials said the local incentive program is similar to those offered by competing airports. The airport provided similar incentives recently to JetBlue for its planned flights to Boston this summer.

“Any time we can get new seats, it (means) new passengers,” said John Wheat, Sacramento’s airport director. “These incentives pay for themselves. We generate additional revenue.”

Aeroméxico, located in Terminal B, began offering nonstop flights between Sacramento and Guadalajara in 2011. Passenger traffic on the Sacramento-Guadalajara route increased 48.2 percent between 2013 and 2014, according to airport officials.

“With the start of these new flights, we now offer service to 29 different routes from the United States to Mexico,” said Aeroméxico’s chief revenue officer, Anko van der Werff.

The new flights will use Boeing 737 aircraft and seat 132 passengers, including 12 in first class.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/tra...#storylink=cpy

Last edited by Pistola916; Mar 27, 2015 at 4:11 AM.

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 6:17 AM

Looks like Reno's plans of landing a flight to London were scrapped due to customs' inability to process arivals quickly enough. Any way this increases Sacramento's chances of getting a London flight?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...amed/26996499/

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 9:15 PM

New Service to Boise

Southwest Airlines has announced that it will start a daily nonstop between Sacramento and Boise starting January 6, 2016.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 5:53 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Updated the information on the front (first) page as best I can. If anything is missing please feel free to bring it to my attention.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 2:44 AM

American Airlines is starting non-stop service to Chicago O'Hare starting June 2nd. While this is obviously good news, it may mean the end of our non-stop to Philly. Looks like twice daily during the summer and once daily the rest of the year.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article54879095.html

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 6:33 PM

Sacramento to Baltimore

So far it looks like the beginning of 2016 is shaping up to be a good year for Sacramento International Airport (knock on wood). Starting August 7th, Southwest Airlines will be offering daily, nonstop service to Baltimore, with one-way fares starting from $159. Another connection to the East Coast! We need them!!

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 2:15 AM
silly slackergeek

Alaska Air SMF-San Diego

Alaska Airlines inaugurates nonstop service to San Diego starting in March, 2017.

3x/day to start.

Part of Alaska's strategy to replace Southwest as the dominate intra-state carrier in California.

Going to need to do better than 3x/day for that, but it's a start...

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otnemarcaS View Post
Jetblue announces new non-stop flights from Sacramento to Boston. Seasonal only though.

JetBlue is adding nonstop flights between Sacramento and Boston, the airline said Wednesday.

The carrier will begin flying between the two cities beginning June 18. The flights will operate Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays.

It is the first time Boston has been available as a nonstop from Sacramento International Airport. Tickets go on sale Wednesday.

Read more here:
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/tra...le9727661.html
There are no non stop flights between Sacramento and Boston yet.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deno View Post
There are no non stop flights between Sacramento and Boston yet.
Yes, there is. The seasonal flights began last summer. I'm flying nonstop to Boston in June on JetBlue.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
Yes, there is. The seasonal flights began last summer. I'm flying nonstop to Boston in June on JetBlue.
I tried to book a flight and couldn't find one I called iJetBlue the representative said there was no nonstop flights to Boston I want to go in September. Maybe just in the summer.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deno View Post
I tried to book a flight and couldn't find one I called iJetBlue the representative said there was no nonstop flights to Boston I want to go in September. Maybe just in the summer.
I'm flying from Boston to Sacramento next weekend with them (what a Godsend), so I think it may just be between memorial day through labor day type thing. I hope eventually it's year round. I tried finding exact schedule dates on their website but couldn't find anything.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 6:43 AM

New service for 2017

Well, 2017 seems to getting off to a good start for Sac International Airport.

Looks like Alaska will be adding a nonstop to Cabo San Lucas starting June 10, 2017. Apparently, it will be a once a week flight. Small, but it's a start.

There's also the aforementioned Sacramento-San Diego service on Horizon, starting on March 16, 2017. That will be three flights a day. Giving Southwest a little competition.

And speaking of competition: it looks like Southwest Airlines will be giving Delta Airlines a little competition starting March 9th, when Southwest will be offering a nonstop between Sacramento and Salt Lake City.

And finally, United Airlines will be offering a nonstop between Sacramento and Newark, starting on June 8th. I remember Continental used to have this nonstop to Newark, but only on a seasonal basis. Now it looks like it'll be a year-round nonstop.

If anyone would like to add to this, or know of any upcoming news regarding Sac International, drop a line here!!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 5:07 PM

That's certainly good for airport's growth. Not to put a damper on things, but I read yesterday that the developer in charge of building a 150-room airport hotel cannot find financing. This is the kind of trouble Sacramento always has...grabbing the attention of investors.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
That's certainly good for airport's growth. Not to put a damper on things, but I read yesterday that the developer in charge of building a 150-room airport hotel cannot find financing. This is the kind of trouble Sacramento always has...grabbing the attention of investors.
Saw a little blurb about that in the Sacramento Business Journal. That is kind of depressing. Wondering if the airport will ever get an on-site hotel in this lifetime

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area