HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #22141  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 6:14 AM
sadykadie2 sadykadie2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post

Los Angeles Times

$20,000 worth of marijuana harvested, burned

Sept. 8, 1948: Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Deputy Dwight Smith drags a load of marijuana from a roadside patch in Rosemead. The plants were later burned.

A story in the next morning’s L.A. Times reported:

Marijuana valued at $20,000 went up in smoke yesterday — but not puff by puff.

An even dozen “trees” of the narcotic weed, some as high as 10 feet, were burned by Lt. Ray Huber and other members of the Sheriff’s narcotic
squad and Federal Agent George R. Davis. Apparently growing wild, the stuff was gathered from two places–beside the fence of a slaughterhouse at Rush St. and Loma Ave., Rosemead, and in an alley behind 6800 Alameda St.

Lt. Huber disclosed that the narcotic squad’s attention was first called to the Rosemead marijuana patch two weeks ago. Since then, he said, there has been a “stake-out” there to nab anyone who attempted to harvest it. When no suspicious characters appeared, it was decided to destroy it under Federal supervision as required by law.

This photo was published in the Sept. 9, 1948, Los Angeles Times.


Now strangely, if you look at the picture real close, everyone seems to be puffing on something.









Hmm...that last guy looks familiar
I had to clap my hand over my mouth I was laughing so hard at this one
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22142  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 11:56 AM
Chuckaluck Chuckaluck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 649
Clarido Hotel seems to have been conveniently located near a laundry somewhere in DTLA, but where?
1963
http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...LJMUNURKH2.jpg

Otherwise, I'm checking in to the Clinton at Sixth and Figueroa. http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...&postcount=107

1950
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6...igueroa195.jpg
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22143  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 12:09 PM
Chuckaluck Chuckaluck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 649
1925 - Venice. Tall gray structure looming in the upper left portion of the photo, what amusement is it?

http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...SGXTXNK3T4.jpg

http://waterandpower.org/Historical_...cus_ca1925.jpg





1924 Dragon Bamboo Slide - Five stories tall! (Watch out for splinters.)
http://venicebeachbustours.com/wp-co...ragonslide.jpg
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22144  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 1:17 PM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post
Clarido Hotel seems to have been conveniently located near a laundry somewhere in DTLA, but where?
1963
http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...LJMUNURKH2.jpg
The dirty sign hides the fact that it's actually the Claridge Hotel. It used to be at 428 West 2nd Street, just above the Northern Hotel. I'm sure someone will find better pictures, but I knew HDL would have something.


Detail of picture at Huntington Digital Library

The sign is also visible at the start of the video A Drive Through Bunker Hill and Downtown Los Angeles, ca. 1940s.


YouTube
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22145  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 1:26 PM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,777
LAPL has added a load of extra City Directories to its archive, including early ones from Hollywood City, San Pedro City, Santa Monica City, Watts City, San Fernando Valley City and Westwood Hills City. I haven't had a chance to explore them yet, but it can only be good news.

Here's a screengrab to whet your appetites . The address, as always: rescarta.lapl.org

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22146  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 4:55 PM
CityBoyDoug's Avatar
CityBoyDoug CityBoyDoug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,541
Convenient...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The dirty sign hides the fact that it's actually the Claridge Hotel. It used to be at 428 West 2nd Street, just above the Northern Hotel. I'm sure someone will find better pictures, but I knew HDL would have something.


Detail of picture at Huntington Digital Library

The sign is also visible at the start of the video A Drive Through Bunker Hill and Downtown Los Angeles, ca. 1940s.


YouTube
The Hotel Claridge looks like a nice place to stay. They even have parking right by the door. Although my car would be at a slight angle and drain the engine oil to one side. Also, its very close to all of the downtown LA sight-seeing locations. I might pop over to that French dip place....Philippe's for a lamb sandwich and a dill pickle.
The Hotel Clinton looks nice also. It probably doesn't cost an arm and a leg to stay there either.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22147  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 5:30 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
unitedartists.com/

Looks like it started out as the Waldorf in the Waldorf Hotel, at 521 S Main, later becoming the Waldorf Cellar, as it was listed in the '56CD, and seen in the pic at top. Bohemian Los Angeles by Daniel Hurewitz--a good read, btw--mentions in a footnote that 'The official Waldorf liquor license was denied in 1936 on grounds that the business ran 'contrary to public welfare and morals.'"
Wow, didn't think I'd see a photo of this! Thanks GW!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22148  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 5:49 PM
jefn jefn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Excellent photos, old friend, and a rare glimpse of something we rarely see here--inside views of the unique private homes whose exteriors we post here so often. ...
I mentioned I had a lot photographs from my time in the house that hadn't been digitized.

Last evening I went through the lot and came up with a bunch more to scan and add to the page I cobbled together.

http://www.birdjanitor.com/1190.html


Note: If you've visited the page before, you may need to refresh your browser in order to see the additions.


Jef
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22149  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 6:29 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,740
Re: The Waldorf Cellar


http://ussslcca25.com/assoc_photos-09.htm#top

A site dedicated to the U.S.S. Salt Lake City has this very small interior photo labeled:

1943-45 at the "Waldorf Cellar"
521 S. Main Street, Los Angeles, CA.

The #’s correspond to the names of the sailors listed on the site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22150  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 6:41 PM
CityBoyDoug's Avatar
CityBoyDoug CityBoyDoug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefn View Post
I mentioned I had a lot photographs from my time in the house that hadn't been digitized.

Last evening I went through the lot and came up with a bunch more to scan and add to the page I cobbled together.

http://www.birdjanitor.com/1190.html


Note: If you've visited the page before, you may need to refresh your browser in order to see the additions.


Jef
Jef: I looked over your various webpages...yikes!!!. You are one, how do I say it, unique dude....welcome to noirish LA. Your orange colored home in CO...wow, what an amazing place!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22151  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 6:50 PM
CityBoyDoug's Avatar
CityBoyDoug CityBoyDoug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Re: The Waldorf Cellar


http://ussslcca25.com/assoc_photos-09.htm#top

A site dedicated to the U.S.S. Salt Lake City has this very small interior photo labeled:

1943-45 at the "Waldorf Cellar"
521 S. Main Street, Los Angeles, CA.

The #’s correspond to the names of the sailors listed on the site.
The infamous Black Dahlia, Elizabeth Short was known to be a patron of the Waldorf Cellar. At least, the place is listed as one of her hangouts....surprise!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22152  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 7:12 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,740
Thanks CBD about the info on Cooper's Do-nuts raid. I didn't know about that.


image source: Stephen Seemayer and Pamela Wilson's film, Young Turks

This Amoeba blog post talks about those events:
http://www.amoeba.com/blog/2013/06/eric-s-blog.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
Boy oh boy, do I miss Cooper Donuts. Many a pleasant hour spent there, especially at Santa Monica & Fairfax.
BDiH. what corner of SMB and Fairfax was this located? Do you know when it closed?

Other locations mentioned in the blog article:

"Some of Main St.'s establishments continued to operate as theaters like the Optic Theatre (533 S. Main). Main St. and the surrounding area was also home to several clubs and bars popular with gays like the Biltmore, the Brass Rail, the Cellar (521 S. Main), the Crown Jewel (754 S. Olive), Harold's 555 Club (555 S. Main), Jolie's, Maxwell's, the Numbers, the 326 (326 S. Spring), the Waldorf, and the Burbank (548 S. Main), which featured Jazz, and burlesque, etc. There were also numerous small eateries, one of which was Cooper's Do-nuts, a 24 hour coffee and donut spot popular with a clientele comprised in part of multiracial trans and hustlers. The network of hangouts came to be known as 'The Run'."

So...these places were around The Rosslyn Hotel...

The Harold's establishment mentioned above and in the last couple pages at 555 S. Main St. is seen in the following undated photo:


http://www.amoeba.com/blog/2013/06/eric-s-blog.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22153  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 8:00 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Other locations mentioned in the blog article:

"Some of Main St.'s establishments continued to operate as theaters like the Optic Theatre (533 S. Main). Main St. and the surrounding area was also home to several clubs and bars popular with gays like the Biltmore, the Brass Rail, the Cellar (521 S. Main), the Crown Jewel (754 S. Olive), Harold's 555 Club (555 S. Main), Jolie's, Maxwell's, the Numbers, the 326 (326 S. Spring), the Waldorf, and the Burbank (548 S. Main), which featured Jazz, and burlesque, etc. There were also numerous small eateries, one of which was Cooper's Do-nuts, a 24 hour coffee and donut spot popular with a clientele comprised in part of multiracial trans and hustlers. The network of hangouts came to be known as 'The Run'."
So, the 326 club (326 S. Spring) mentioned above was this location:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
The building at 326 South Spring Street was the location of World Heavyweight Champion Jim Jeffries' Bar.


usc digital archive
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22154  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 8:22 PM
FredH's Avatar
FredH FredH is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 674
Street parking in L.A. is getting real tough

This sign went up on San Vicente Blvd in Brentwood


http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/...-in-brentwood/

OK, it's a mistake. It was supposed to read one hour, but you have to wonder how many people looked at the sign before it went up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22155  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 8:39 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,740
Here's another later (1960's?) photo showing Harold's. The jeweler's street clock has been removed...and there's NO traffic! (Must be that "one minute" parking!)


http://photos.cinematreasures.org/pr...5645/large.jpg
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22156  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 2:49 AM
austlar1 austlar1 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,752
deleted
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22157  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 2:51 AM
austlar1 austlar1 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post

Los Angeles Times

$20,000 worth of marijuana harvested, burned

Sept. 8, 1948: Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Deputy Dwight Smith drags a load of marijuana from a roadside patch in Rosemead. The plants were later burned.

A story in the next morning’s L.A. Times reported:

Marijuana valued at $20,000 went up in smoke yesterday — but not puff by puff.

An even dozen “trees” of the narcotic weed, some as high as 10 feet, were burned by Lt. Ray Huber and other members of the Sheriff’s narcotic
squad and Federal Agent George R. Davis. Apparently growing wild, the stuff was gathered from two places–beside the fence of a slaughterhouse at Rush St. and Loma Ave., Rosemead, and in an alley behind 6800 Alameda St.

Lt. Huber disclosed that the narcotic squad’s attention was first called to the Rosemead marijuana patch two weeks ago. Since then, he said, there has been a “stake-out” there to nab anyone who attempted to harvest it. When no suspicious characters appeared, it was decided to destroy it under Federal supervision as required by law.

This photo was published in the Sept. 9, 1948, Los Angeles Times.


Now strangely, if you look at the picture real close, everyone seems to be puffing on something.









Hmm...that last guy looks familiar
About 30 years later, my room-mates and I grew that much or more marijuana in a backyard planter at 208 S. Ardmore Drive in what is now known as Korea Town. It sure as hell was not worth $20,000, even adjusted for inflation. It did keep us pretty stoned for about two years. It had a harsh/dry flavor that I attributed to the air pollution because otherwise the growing conditions were excellent for outdoor weed. I am clean as a whistle and sober as a Judge nowadays, but we sure had a lot of fun back in the 70s. It was a very different social climate.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22158  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 3:20 AM
jefn jefn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Jef: I looked over your various webpages...yikes!!!. You are one, how do I say it, unique dude....welcome to noirish LA. Your orange colored home in CO...wow, what an amazing place!

Thanks bud!

Jef
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22159  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 3:59 AM
rick m rick m is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Thanks CBD about the info on Cooper's Do-nuts raid. I didn't know about that.


image source: Stephen Seemayer and Pamela Wilson's film, Young Turks

This Amoeba blog post talks about those events:
http://www.amoeba.com/blog/2013/06/eric-s-blog.html



BDiH. what corner of SMB and Fairfax was this located? Do you know when it closed?

Other locations mentioned in the blog article:

"Some of Main St.'s establishments continued to operate as theaters like the Optic Theatre (533 S. Main). Main St. and the surrounding area was also home to several clubs and bars popular with gays like the Biltmore, the Brass Rail, the Cellar (521 S. Main), the Crown Jewel (754 S. Olive), Harold's 555 Club (555 S. Main), Jolie's, Maxwell's, the Numbers, the 326 (326 S. Spring), the Waldorf, and the Burbank (548 S. Main), which featured Jazz, and burlesque, etc. There were also numerous small eateries, one of which was Cooper's Do-nuts, a 24 hour coffee and donut spot popular with a clientele comprised in part of multiracial trans and hustlers. The network of hangouts came to be known as 'The Run'."

So...these places were around The Rosslyn Hotel...

The Harold's establishment mentioned above and in the last couple pages at 555 S. Main St. is seen in the following undated photo:


http://www.amoeba.com/blog/2013/06/eric-s-blog.html
This does then include the Coopers where the Donut Riot as described by John Rechy - it's the small white stand at the parking lot where the front bus is positioned here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22160  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 1:00 PM
Chuckaluck Chuckaluck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/13780/rec/6


1929



1929









201 Wilshire Blvd., Santa Monica


http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/13721/rec/8

Exterior



Interior



PM










Could some of the malted milk be too strong for minors?







Quote:
Photo shows Mayor Cryer as he will push the big electric switch which will light up green lanterns around Los Angeles. The lanterns are being used as a symbol of hospitable soda fountain services. At left is A.H. Vossmeyer, who represents the druggists at whose stores the lanterns will be placed. At right is A.V. Wainright, President of the California Consumers Co., sponsors of the movement

June 1, 1929
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics35/00037043.jpg
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:06 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.