HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transitfan View Post
All PE cars had trolley poles at both ends of the car. When in operation, the trolley pole at the rear of the car will be raised, so that will give you an idea. Also, if the headlight is on, that will also give you a clue.

BTW, the producers of the great film "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" did an excellent job of reproducing a PE Hollywood car (the type seen in the above-referenced pics". The one thing they got wrong was, when Eddie Valiant goes to ride the car (and ends up riding the bumper after the conductor won't let him board), both poles are up! If you tried that in real life, the motors would burn out, as whcih pole is raised determines which direction the car will go. It was ok to have both poles rasied when the car was stationary, in fact, usually at the end of the line, the motorman or conductor would raise the other pole first, then lower the other one (this was to keep the interior lights on, as they were also powered from the overhead).
Not quite correct. Having both poles up will not burn up the motors. Yhe overhead wire supplied 600 volts to the car, the controler located in each end of the car controlled the direction and speed.

Paul C. Koehler

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post

This one is from 1933 and is captioned: "Overflowing manhole on rain-flooded city street, [Los Angeles County?]"

LAT via UCLA Digital Archives

The question mark is not needed; the Richfield tower is distinctive. Is that the top of the LAPL peeking out on the left? If so, this is probably looking south on Flower from Bunker Hill. Edit: the large building on the left side of the street in the middle distance is the California Club, so I think this actually is Flower.
Here's roughly the same location in the 1940s, taken from the famous (on this thread) "A Drive Through Bunker Hill".

YouTube/archive.org

For anyone who hasn't seen the whole film:

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Have we visited the 90-90 Club on NLA?

9090 W. Washington Blvd.

Culver City, California

https://picclick.com/Rare-Vintage-WW...l#&gid=1&pid=2
I believe e_r's menu is from 1942. This one is from 1944. Notice that "Afterdark fun & good times" still aren't being rationed!

Judging by the other prices, I'd have to save up for a Hitler's Funeral.

Just don't ask for imported Champagne.

All from eBay

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 5:52 PM

4th & Flower

Quote:
This one is from 1933 and is captioned: "Overflowing manhole on rain-flooded city street, [Los Angeles County?]"

That deserves a Then & Now:

gsv

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 6:30 PM

I sometimes skip Julius Shulman photosets which only show interiors, but we do get to see the entrance here, even if it's within a larger building. This is "Job 1435: Cejay Parsons, Coro, Inc., Reception Area and Showrooms, 1953".

I guess the strings from the flower bed to the ceiling are for training the plants.

Oh for a bit of color! I've omitted the fourth image as it's very similar to this one.

All from Getty Research Institute

Assuming that we're looking at an LA location, I found Coro, Inc in room 700 of the Consolidated Building at 607 S Hill Street in the 1956 CD (and the CDs until 1967). There's a load of information about the history of costume jewelry maker Coro, Inc at jewelcollect.org.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I sometimes skip Julius Shulman photosets which only show interiors, but we do get to see the entrance here, even if it's within a larger building. This is "Job 1435: Cejay Parsons, Coro, Inc., Reception Area and Showrooms, 1953".

Cejay Parsons! This is some amazing Mid-Centuriness.

More about (McDonald &) Parsons here.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 9:44 PM

Quote:

The question mark is not needed; the Richfield tower is distinctive. Is that the top of the LAPL peeking out on the left? If so, this is probably looking south on Flower from Bunker Hill. Edit: the large building on the left side of the street in the middle distance is the California Club, so I think this actually is Flower.

A nice interesting shot looking south on Flower from about 4th Street. Everything you've said is true but I wanted to point out, as luck would have it, Anna May Wong has come up recently in the thread and her birth place, a two story house at 351 S Flower would be directly to the right of the camera here, and in 1933 it was still standing. She was born upstairs above her father's laundry and while they only lived here for a year or so, moving temporarily to Chinatown, they came back to this neighborhood in 1910 reopening his laundry over on Figueroa just south of Temple. In her youth Anna, with her sisters, drove a horse-drawn wagon picking up and delivering laundry. One of my favorite noirish people.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 9:45 PM

John Bengtson at Silent Locations needs some help finding a Charlie Chaplin filming location. The screengrab below is from the last scene of the 1916 Mutual comedy "The Count".

It appears to be the same wall as in this screengrab from a documentary about the famous unsolved murder of silent film director of William Desmond Taylor.

There's not much to go on, but it's obviously a wide, tree-lined street, and seems to slope away from the camera. Does anyone recognize it?

You can see "The Count" on YouTube, but the closing static camera shot doesn't give any other clues.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 12:01 AM
BANNED

file

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
P.E., showing freight yard.

" Pacific Electric Freight station, 7th and Alameda, 2 / 1947" [original negative]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/orig-1947-2-...3D231952462171

detail

A. Levy & J. Ze _ _ _ _ er Co.

This is near the location of the color photograph I posted a few days ago.

HossC's aerial here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=35190
Levy & Zenter a Los Angeles produce dealer, still in business today I think. I have not been down to Los Angeles in several years.

Paul C. Koehler

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 2:51 AM

Thanks Paul_K.

The following two slides are similar to the NBC Radio City slide from a few days ago.

In the first one four men are having a discussion in front of Tom Breneman's Restaurant on Vine Street.

here's the whole slide

http://www.ebay.com/itm/35mm-Color-K...3D332269004619

The 2nd slide is CBS Columbia Center (seen many many times on NLA, but not this particular slide)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-35mm-Col...3D232376666483 6121 Sunset Boulevard

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 3:08 AM

I believe a 2nd location of Jerry's Joynt was mentioned in the early days of the thread.

Here's a menu cover from Jerry's Joynt...Wilshire

ebay

the actual address is 6594 San Vicente Blvd.

but I was surprised to learn there was a 3rd location as well.

J.H. Graham says Jerry's Joynt was at this location only a few months, from April 3, 1945 to the following Summer, when it reverted back to the Clover Club.

I'm having a difficult time picturing this place as a Jerry's Joynt.

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/....php?p=7495394

I don't believe we have seen a photograph of the Jerry's Joynt at 6594 S. San Vicente Blvd yet.
_

(it's possible we covered the J.J. on Sunset, but I simply don't remember) you have to keep in mind that the thread is 8 years old. (NLA had it's birthday on June 10th)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 21, 2017 at 3:42 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 4:03 AM

I was driving the google-mobile down Spring Street and noticed the Arcade Building is looking much better these days. (or was it the Broadway entrance that looked so bad?)

gsv

anywho....I noticed a machine of some sort just inside the door on the left side.

gsv_detail

I'm pretty sure it's a weight scale.

I decided to do some snooping which led me to Mister Dangerous and this great close-up.

Mister Dangerous

The site says there is a weight scale at the Broadway entrance as well.
___

I loved that wartime menu from the 90-90 Club Hoss.

Can you imagine stopping in and ordering a 'Pete & Ralph Morrissey'. (whoever the hell that is!) lol

oldstuff, can you work your magic and find more information on the Morrisseys?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 21, 2017 at 4:14 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
If this picture was taken in California, then the Eiss family was probably visiting here. They made their home in the Chicago area where Dr. Eiss was in practice. they also had a son, Daniel, who was a doctor as well. Daughter Zula married Alvin P. Bradley in Chicago in November of 1916. They lived in the Chicago area at least until 1934 when Zula was hostess for Delta Gamma Alumni at her "new home" in Glencoe. It appears that they also lived in the Chicago area for some time, but they both died in California. At the time of Alvin's death they were living in San Marino. A directory from 1951 gives an address of 1194 Oxford Road, San Marino. There is another for 1952 which has an address of 1215 Hillcrest Avenue. A directory for 1949 shows their address 2350 Robles Avenue, San Marino. Since the directory addresses change so frequently , it may be that they came to California for just the winter (or maybe the summer since he was a teacher) and rented property while here. They also may have stayed with friends or relatives in California. I do note that neither of the two other men, the one with the fish and the one closer to the palm, appear to be Zula's husband since he is described in his draft registrations as being of medium height and slender.
Good evening. This picture reminds me of the Peterson Ranch in Bell Gardens. It had/has a windmill tower beside it and if you look closely you can see a tower beside this one. The fish could be from nearby old San Gabriel river or Rio Hondo river as it now called..as well as L.A. River. I could only find few pictures on thier website http://thepetersonfarmhouse.org/
Maybe i am right, maybe i am wrong..but it is worth a shot no?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 6:36 AM

There is an interesting 2013 book entitled "the Entertainer - Movies, Magic and My Father's Twentieth Century," about the surprisingly fascinating life of actor Lyle Talbot, written by his daughter Margaret, a staff writer for The New Yorker.

Lyle Talbot
http://www.nndb.com/people/278/00004...leTalbot75.jpg

Talbot was a second-lead actor at Warner Bros. in the 1930's, then usually appeared as an authority-type figure in B movies and television in the 1940's and 50's until landing his long-running roll as affable neighbor Joe Randolph in "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet."
In the mid 50's, he was a busy middle-aged actor on his fifth marriage and with a serious drinking problem. His fifth and last wife was 25 years younger than Lyle, and they had four children. For a time the family lived at The Highland Towers apartments at 1922 North Highland near Franklin.
Daughter Margaret describes The Highland Towers in 1954 as "a hulking apartment building in the heart of Hollywood that had been put up in the Silent Era with an eye to grandeur but was now rather tatty." Her brother Stephen remembered the building as "a literally dark, sort of seedy place, full of weird actors and magicians. In retrospect, it was very film noir." Stephen also recalled that his father took him to see "Prince Valiant" at Grauman's Chinese Theatre and they walked home together. In addition, the eccentric "psychic" and local character "The Amazing Criswell" lived at The Highland Towers at the same time. Stephen said that when they ran into Criswell in the elevator he was "always in character, with a frothy platinum coiffure and speaking in those stentorian tones." Criswell and Lyle Talbot later appeared together in Ed Wood's immortal "Plan 9 From Outer Space."

Highland Towers in distance, 1944
http://waterandpower.org/7%20Histori...nklin_1944.jpg

Highland Towers Hotel-Apartments, 1940's
https://fedora.digitalcommonwealth.o...ess800/content

Lyle Talbot's last marriage lasted 40 years and his wife helped him sober up by the late 1950's. He died at age 94 in San Francisco, where he had moved after her death. It is remarkable how successful his children have been. Writer Margaret's sister Cynthia is a physician in Portland, Oregon. Brother Stephen was a successful child actor, well-known as Beaver Cleaver's friend Gilbert Bates on TV, and is today an Emmy-winning documentary producer. Son David is a best-selling author of political books and founder of the website, "Salon."

Stephen Talbot as Gilbert Bates in "Leave it To Beaver"
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1a0058fa62.jpg

Last edited by JeffDiego; Jun 21, 2017 at 6:57 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 8:26 AM

Re: The Torso Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Due to his place of work, photos of Arthur Eggers showed up during my recent search for pictures of sub-stations. His name previously appeared on NLA when NCD did a roundup of LA murders (excerpt above). Here's what LAPL said about the case:
Fifty-two year old Arthur Eggers was a sworn Deputy Sheriff working as a desk clerk in the Temple City Substation. Eggers seemed to everyone to be a meek little man who possessed an inordinate amount of patience, was intimidated by his own shadow, and dominated by his wife. Over the years his wife Dorothy had taunted her mild-mannered husband with ribald tales of hitch-hiking and picking up truckers. How often had he visualized Dorothy at a truck stop in the arms of the sweaty antithesis of himself? It would have been enough to drive any man completely mad. Neighbors of the Eggers' recalled that Dorothy had an unseemly number of male callers and rumors of Dorothy's infidelities had been reaching Eggers's ears for a very long time before he finally snapped under their weight. In fact it was the sighting of one of Dorothy's male 'friends' that had ultimately pushed Eggers over the edge into murder. He'd arrived home from work about 1 a.m. on December 28, 1945 to see the dark figure of a man exiting the back door of his home. Once inside the house Eggers confronted a completely naked Dorothy with what he'd seen and accused her of having an affair. Rather than being contrite, or even denying everything, Eggers later claimed that Dorothy had laughed at him and said that if she was having an affair, what was he going to do about it? What he did about it was grab a gun, pump a couple of rounds into her and then, in a blind rage, years in the making, cut off her head and hands. He wrapped his dead wife in a blanket and drove out to the Rim of the World Highway where he dumped her body. Somewhere along the way he had discarded her head and hand--they were never found. He filed a missing persons report on Dorothy but his co-workers became suspicious of him and an investigation was launched. A headless, handless body was discovered within hours after it had been dumped and was subsequently identified as Dorothy because of a surgery she'd had to remove bunions on her feet. In an exclusive jail house interview Eggers swore to Aggie Underwood that he was too chicken-hearted to commit murder, "I couldn't even kill a rabbit." he said. He was executed in the gas chamber at San Quentin.
Here are a few photos to expand (I was going to say flesh out) the story - LAPL has 54 images in total. The text I've included is a mixture of the newspaper captions and the LAPL descriptions.

The first photo is dated circa 1943, which is probably about right as both girls look several years older in the 1946 images (not included here). Note that the address below is different to the one in NCD's post.

"Eggers Family before tragedy struck. Mr and Mrs. Eggers with adopted children, Marie, left, and Lorraine." The family is shown outside their Temple City home at 202 N. Rosemead Blvd.

LAPL

Gun and saw used by Arthur Eggers

LAPL

"Eggers, shown taking lie detector test. Murder suspect steadfastly denies he killed wife." Ray Pinker, police chemist, administered the test.

LAPL

Arthur Eggers waits for jury.

LAPL

"Temple City home of Mr. and Mrs. Eggers. Was this the house the scene of brutal slaying?" The address is 202 N. Rosemead Blvd.

LAPL

Finally, this image was bizarrely included.

"Mrs. Eggers' pet cat. Was it a witness at slaying?"

LAPL

There's a note included with the picture of the Eggers' home which says "The structure, now at 5800 N. Rosemead Blvd., later became a commercial building." It's now the U Smile Dental Group - I wonder if they know?

GSV
Well first off, let's face it, that guy looks as guilty as hell in ALL the photos. That being said, I am going to tell you Canada had a notorious Torso killer also. Evelyn Dick, a beautiful young woman from Hamilton, near Toronto, with an accomplice, killed her husband and cut off his head, legs and arms These were destroyed to prevent identification. THEN THEY DUMPED THE TORSO. Idiots. Oh, and Evelyn, uh, missed something. That was how Mr. Dick's MOTHER identified him. Evelyn was arrested and charged with murder. The school children (and they can be so mean, can't they?) had a rhyme they used while skipping rope during the trial:
"How could you cut his head off Mrs. Dick? Mrs. Dick?
How could you cut his arms off Mrs. Dick? Mrs. Dick?
How could you cut his legs off Mrs. Dick? Mrs. Dick?
How could you miss his dick Mrs. Dick? Mrs. Dick?"
And believe-it-or-not, she managed to escape the hangman's noose on appeal. Probably because it was revealed in court that she was sleeping with all the handsome young men in town, including the Judge's son!
Then in an amazing twist, the police discovered the body of a baby preserved in a bucket of cement in her attic. (How could you miss that the first time, Mr. Cop? Mr. Cop?) and Evelyn was sentenced to life in prison.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 9:17 AM

Quote:
I was driving the google-mobile down Spring Street and noticed the Arcade Building is looking much better these days. (or was it the Broadway entrance that looked so bad?)

gsv

anywho....I noticed a machine of some sort just inside the door on the left side.

gsv_detail

I'm pretty sure it's a weight scale.

I decided to do some snooping which led me to Mister Dangerous and this great close-up.

Mister Dangerous

The site says there is a weight scale at the Broadway entrance as well.
ER: Here's a shot of the interior of the Arcade Building that was shot about the same time as your exterior shot(late November, last year)

_B280099.jpg Photo by Me, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 2:38 PM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;7838656] Thanks Paul K. Was the food good?

I never knew pressed duck was served in cubes! -that doesn't sound very appetizing (reminds me of the chicken in Banquet pot pies )

The two Jerry's Joynt photographs you reposted are two of my favorites on the thread. It was good to see them again.

Surprisingly, I just found two photographs pertaining to Jerry's Joynt that I believe are new to NLA.

The first one is poorly composed with the upper half of the photo devoted to a cloudless sky...

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/F...olNumber=56917

but if you look in the lower left corner you see Jerry's Joint and a banner advertising an appearance by Anna May Wong to sign photographs.

here's an enlargement

detail

The trouble is...I can't quite figure what part of Jerry's Joynt we're seeing.
Are we looking over the roofs toward Ferguson Alley- (and that's the back and the side of Jerry's Joynt facing the alley?) -if so, strange place for a clock.

& does the wood cornice, painted white with the three lights, belong to Jerry's Joynt or a building just beyond it?

Inquiring minds want to know.
__

In the second photograph we finally get a glimpse inside the joint joynt.

http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics23/00031003.jpg

Group portrait at Jerry's Joynt, located at 500 N. Los Angeles, Chinatown; identified is actor Vince Barnett (seated right of center, unshaven).
The sign on the wall reads "Dan Tobey's Silver Jubilee and Barbecue, Jerry's Joynt, Chinatown."

I don't know who Vince Barnett is (or Dan Tobey!)
__

There is a Vincent Barnett who registered for the draft in WWII who is listed as being employed by a "radio program". He was born in Kansas in 1891 which would make him 58 in 1949, which , by the clothes in the picture, would seem to be around the time that the picture was taken. If he was in radio then he probably would not be someone recognizable in a picture. Maybe.....

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Liked the World Savings photos. Anyone know what the "4" might mean in the lighted box on the sign. In the b&w image (not included here) it's not as legible, but I believe it's a "2" in that one. In the "book" photo it appears this might be a clock. Perhaps?

Also, in the book photo above, I have always heard of "Chicken Delight", because comedians and variety shows would make jokes about that name. I feel that I came to believe it was something made up, because I never saw one before, but there's one in the photo!
I remember Chicken Delight. I never thought the chicken was that delightful, but it was close by and we had some occasionally

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis View Post
I've been DVRing the show for over a month now off-air. My wife and I have been enjoying them greatly, and slowly I'm remembering details of the show, mostly Kookie's gags, from when I watched the show with my family as a very young boy. I am now completely hooked.

Looking forward to watching the Stu solo episode.
So what did you think of "Reserved for Mr. Bailey"? I hadn't seen this episode since the day it was first aired in 1961. I had vaguely remembered that Stu talked to a mannequin a lot, and that he got stuck in some kind of hole. it was great to see it again and refresh my memories. I was hoping this was one of the 7 episode that Roger Smith wrote or co-wrote, as those seem to be the best of the series. It was not one of his, though. "The Attic" and "the Silent Caper" are two of the most interesting that Smith wrote and starred in.

I, too, DVR all the episodes in hopes of recording enough of them to binge watch on a rainy weekend night. But I get too excited and can't wait to watch the newest recorded episode once I get home from work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos