HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 12:57 AM

Cool AUSTIN | Modern Austin Residences | 658' | 56 FLOORS | U/C

This is the Container Bar site at 90 Rainey. A pre-devlopment tree permit was filed which is a common practice prior to a site plan submittal. From the filing:

Quote:
Type of Application: Development Related
Type of Work: Pre-plan Submittal Development Consultation
Permit:
https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...pertyrsn=92534

There is a parking lot directly behind The Container Bar which would allow for a sizable project if that is part of this. I hope this is just an update to The Container Bar or a new bar/restaurant and not take down of part of the entertainment district.

Edit: The parking lot is part of the 93 Red River project.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Dec 23, 2020 at 9:16 AM. Reason: Edited thread icon

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 4:33 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
This is the Container Bar site at 90 Rainey. A pre-devlopment tree permit was filed which is a common practice prior to a site plan submittal. From the filing:

Permit:

There is a parking lot directly behind The Container Bar which would allow for a sizable project if that is part of this. I hope this is just an update to The Container Bar or a new bar/restaurant and not take down of part of the entertainment district.

I wrote down a rant before I noticed the edit lol. Glad the Container Bar is not going anywhere.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I wrote down a rant before I noticed the edit lol. Glad the Container Bar is not going anywhere.
But some type of re-development is still going to be submitted once the issues with the trees on the site is resolved.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 2:44 AM

Quote:
But some type of re-development is still going to be submitted once the issues with the trees on the site is resolved.
So is this part of Endeavor’s 93 Red River or not? If it’s not, then how cool would it be if a developer partnered with Container Bar and built a boutique container hotel as part of an umbrella destination. Not saying this is at all likely, just think it would be a cool idea.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
So is this part of Endeavor’s 93 Red River or not? If it’s not, then how cool would it be if a developer partnered with Container Bar and built a boutique container hotel as part of an umbrella destination. Not saying this is at all likely, just think it would be a cool idea.
It has nothing to do with Endeavor. It looks like we'll have to wait for the development permit to be filed after the tree stuff is settled. Maybe they just want to add more containers, and trees are the way.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 7:37 PM

Quote:

Permit:

Just walked by this lot on my lunch break. It's small, and not really a candidate IMHO for much additional height. Probably just trying to free up more space for revelers.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 1:46 AM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Just walked by this lot on my lunch break. It's small, and not really a candidate IMHO for much additional height. Probably just trying to free up more space for revelers.
It's CBD and neighboring properties have traded recently (possible assemblage)--seems like a great candidate.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
It's CBD and neighboring properties have traded recently (possible assemblage)--seems like a great candidate.
Can you share any more info? This is the heart of the Rainey St. Entertainment District.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Can you share any more info? This is the heart of the Rainey St. Entertainment District.
Yep, I’d definitely like to hear more, too. Not that it’s not possible but there’re like 4 individual lots on that side of the block, all filled with exceptionally popular bars. I’m running on the assumption that it would be a relatively heavy lift to pull enough lots together for a break-even building.

And of course aside from that it would be a huge blow to Rainey-as-entertainment district . . . Though as we’ve seen with the Warehouse District, without formal protections any district is pretty much up for grabs....

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 3:36 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Would be terrible to see another section of Rainey's bars disappear. I say fight it. We don't need a bunch of highrises taking out what has become of of the coolest entertainment districts in the city.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 11:07 PM
Meh

Quote:

Permit:

I ran across this site plan today for a 48 floor residential tower for the Container Bar lot.

Quote:
The applicant is proposing a 48 level high - rise, residential and cocktail lounge with associated improvements.

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Mar 6, 2019 at 11:17 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 12:43 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I'm gonna go ahead and say this but I don't support this and I hope the city shuts this proposal down. The only way I would be on board is if they are able to move the Container Bar to another location, preferably on Rainey plus aside from Millennium, the residential segment of Rainey needs to stay closer to the river and not eat away at the bars and restaurants further north.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 12:54 AM
Meh

Yeah, I'm not crazy about it. There are at least 8 other vacant lots in that area that could be redeveloped first.

I've been working on doing some building massings in Google Earth to show the location and height of all of the new buildings - built, proposed and under construction, and the density in that area is insane with what is being planned so far.

If this tower, plus the WeWork/Waller Park Place and Ihop blocks get developed, 91 Red River (The Quincy) will be completely boxed in by taller buildings on every side except to the south where the Hotel Van Zandt is. Seriously, it's like another sizable downtown just happened over there. Between Cummings Street and Cesar Chavez, I'm counting 19 high rises. This includes Windsor on the Lake and all of the others that are complete. That does not include anything south of Cummings Street. It's crazy, but there could eventually be as many as 30 high rises in that area including south of Cummings Street.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 1:38 AM

Being that the Container Bar is fairly newly built, instead of being an old bungalow, this isn't a huge surprise. Also, I believe this is owned by Bridget Dunlap. She already moved the old Lustre Pearl to east Austin to make room for the Millenium development.

They went through a lot of trouble to get Container Bar built, so I imagine it won't close forever. I bet it'll be moved to the east side also. I doubt it will be possible to find another available location that is actually on Rainey. I can't think of anywhere it could fit without tearing down something else anyway.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 1:43 AM

Rainey is getting pretty heavy in residential development. It needs some office buildings to even things out a bit and help activate it during the day.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 3:20 AM

The site plan application also states this:

Quote:
Hotel/ Motel/Residential/Cocktail Lounge

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 3:28 AM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
The site plan application also states this:
It would be really cool if the container bar was some how incorporated into the new building, is that even possible?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 4:26 AM

I’m about as pro development as they come, but this project fazes me. Container Bar epitomizes the character of Rainey - or at least what it had become, which was a trendy entertainment district. I get that East Austin is becoming a hub for micro-entertainment in its own right, but I think we’d dilute the city to have Rainey just become a residential outpost.

82 Rainey’s proposal is a really good model of what I hope continued density off Rainey looks like - bungalows to activate the street and the high rise set back. It’s one thing to take out run down bungalows or vacant lots, but to supplant a hip bar?

Hey, if it were up to me, a developer would build a boutique, low-rise Container Hotel in that space between the bar and The Quincy, but a hotel high rise to wipe out that whole corner...

Maybe there’s a best of both worlds. It lists cocktail bar in the plans. I wonder if they can’t incorporate the texture of the existing bar into the base, have containers jut out from the core for the first couple floors and maintain the integrity. Would be pretty sweet to keep that look going the rest of the way. Think 56 Leonard but with glass and container facade for overhangs.

I need more details. Right now, I’m upset. Build off of East Ave.. this North end of Rainey is better served at its current program.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 5:00 AM

This is the sixth ~550'-625' proposal for the area. That would make for a nice cluster on the eastern edge of downtown.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 5:43 PM

Okay, I'll come out and say it. Container Bar doesn't epitomize the character of Rainey in any way. It is just an extension of the tightly packed clubs you originally saw on dirty 6th, then West 6th and finally found a niche on Rainey. I have no problem with it being taken down from an entertainment district perspective.

Architecturally, it is interesting and got some attention. Personally, it made me realize containers had something to be desired for habitation. But it does look cool and there was a lot of effort to get it approved, so it seems like the building itself is the most important thing.

But there is no need for Container Bar to occupy part of downtown that ought to have high density housing. Housing density is the most important thing for Austin right now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin