HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Spiral in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 12:41 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Please direct me to where I made a personal attack or criticized anyone in particular;
It was a reference to this:

Quote:
MJM + A is hardly a firm
Is it likely to be the company designing such a tower? Of course not.

But that is not the only incidence, I've seen these personal attacks in other threads. Now, you rarely post here, and when you do it seems to be these personal attacks. It's unseemly, particularly for someone running a blog on these developments.

http://www.mjmacaluso.com/Home.php

Anyway, any confusion between you parties appears to be cleaned up, and we are well past the point of any news here. I'll take my cue from the Chicago Spire thread, and let this rest until there is some.

(edited to include this piece on MJM, architects behind the concept...

http://nyrej.com/70514

Executive of the Month: Macaluso, founder of MJM + A Architects:
Blending the practical with the fantastic to address clients' needs;
Creating beautiful drawings complemented by a "boots on the ground" philosophy

Quote:
New York, NY In 1976, when Michael Macaluso first opened his small architectural firm in a storefront in Queens, he meticulously crafted his business to blend the practical with the fantastic to address the individual needs of his clients. Since its inception, Macaluso has continued to grow his firm in terms of staff, services provided, technology, and client base. Its current iteration, MJM + A Architects, PLLC, includes long-time and trusted colleagues John Scheschareg, Keith Lucas, Ryan Scipione and Frank Szatkowski as partners, with Macaluso performing the duties of managing director. The firm provides design and consulting services in architecture, planning, and interior design, as well as construction administration and project management.

..."Architects are really the psychologists of space, where the interpretation of the third dimension is even more important than a good floor plan," said Macaluso. "I can't design the right space for our clients if I don't truly know them. So at the start of each project, I interview the owner to find out their passions and dreams, as well as their lifestyle and needs. Even something as simple as the time they retire to bed can influence our design. The design team considers all manner of light as a major design tool with sustainability and energy efficiency a primary point of focus Each environment is crafted with the attention of a bespoke suit of clothes. No detail or need is left undone."

Macaluso then translates this information into a design-based solution that incorporates both artistic craftwork and cost value. "Every decision made within the design studio should provide added value to the project. No idea is too inconsequential, no ambition too great. This insight into the techniques, priorities and perspectives of the various personnel in a design project has been one of the most influential factors for success."

...If there was ever a project that combines the practical and the fantastic, it's the proposed Hudson Spire, a 110 story, 1,800 ft. high tower in the new Hudson Yard neighborhood. If built, it would become the tallest building in North America. Macaluso was retained by the property owners to create the conceptual designs that incorporate a combination of upscale restaurants and retailers, office space, three separate high-end hotels, and 25 floors of luxury residences.

"This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," said Macaluso. "As an architect, my job is to interpret the dreams of others. The creative geniuses in our design studio came up with a stunning vision of a vibrant glass structure that literally jumps from its bases and soars to the stars. The composition, color and reflective properties of the glass are varied, with lots of intersecting angles that play off one another so that sunsets and city views look different on one face of the building than others. Hudson Spire would become a focal point, or better yet an exclamation mark, on the Manhattan skyline for years to come."

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 26, 2014 at 1:17 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive