HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 12:32 AM

An AT connection would put the new TOD just a couple blocks from a Sals. And that Pizza Hut lunch buffet.

Anyway, build the bridge and upzone Pembina. That strip is pathetically under-developed. And I was thinking more about Pembina side residents, of whom there are a lot within 400m of ft Rouge station, being able to reach RT than not.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
I've gotta laugh a little bit at the irony of this idea given that most of those businesses are either car dealerships or other businesses related to fixing them.

I guess there's a Tim's and McDonalds too...
... and a bank, and a musical instrument store, and a cycle/ski store, and a walk-in clinic, and a vet...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Pretty sure there are openings at a local comedy club.
You don't live around here, I'm not surprised that you wouldn't get it.

I guess as with everything else we should just give up since there is no way that little old Winnipeg could ever manage a pedestrian bridge, huh

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
An AT connection would put the new TOD just a couple blocks from a Sals. And that Pizza Hut lunch buffet.

Anyway, build the bridge and upzone Pembina. That strip is pathetically under-developed. And I was thinking more about Pembina side residents, of whom there are a lot within 400m of ft Rouge station, being able to reach RT than not.
A crossing there would make walking or cycling to the entire Fort Rouge area across the tracks far more appealing than having to detour to Jubilee. If there is a large TOD, you can bet that people will want to be able to access shops, restaurants and services easily... the closest supermarket becomes much closer with a simple pedestrian bridge.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediger View Post
... and a bank, and a musical instrument store, and a cycle/ski store, and a walk-in clinic, and a vet...
Yes. Nearly all of which are more easily accessed by walking up to Jubilee.

Unless you're suggesting it's a good idea to build a few million dollar bridge to access Sampsons and Lifesport?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 5:15 AM

Quote:

Residents on Pembina are already well served by transit. I'd doubt highly that anybody would walk to catch rapid transit when they can grab a 60 or 62.

It's not a bad idea for the residents of Lord Robert, though. Question is, where do you put it? McDonalds may not mind the traffic and it's about half way in between.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
It's not a bad idea for the residents of Lord Robert, though. Question is, where do you put it? McDonalds may not mind the traffic and it's about half way in between.
Not bad to say the least. The rail line and yards effectively function as a wall extending from Confusion Corner to Pembina/Jubilee as it cannot be crossed. There is also a serious lack of AT friendly routes into and out of the area... the river trail, which is half-assed and inconvenient for anyone not headed in the direction of The Forks, is really the only one. A grade-separated crossing over (or beneath, I suppose) the CN line would link a nearby neighbourhood and its various amenities to pedestrians and cyclists, at a far lower cost than a pedestrian/AT river crossing.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 12:26 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
You don't live around here, I'm not surprised that you wouldn't get it.

I guess as with everything else we should just give up since there is no way that little old Winnipeg could ever manage a pedestrian bridge, huh
I don't live around there but I know the river fairly well. Bridges are built at narrow spots on the river and the river there is very wide.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 1:39 PM

^ Fair enough in relation to a river crossing, but a bridge over the tracks would be practically trivial in comparison.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Not bad to say the least. The rail line and yards effectively function as a wall extending from Confusion Corner to Pembina/Jubilee as it cannot be crossed. There is also a serious lack of AT friendly routes into and out of the area... the river trail, which is half-assed and inconvenient for anyone not headed in the direction of The Forks, is really the only one. A grade-separated crossing over (or beneath, I suppose) the CN line would link a nearby neighbourhood and its various amenities to pedestrians and cyclists, at a far lower cost than a pedestrian/AT river crossing.
The city should seriously be considering the build up of the river walk at a completely new elevation. It's a total waste at this point given that it had about a week of (wet) exposure all summer. Given that it's the most convenient route for most AT in the downtown and all surrounding areas, why it's not prioritized is beyond me...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 5:43 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
The city should seriously be considering the build up of the river walk at a completely new elevation. It's a total waste at this point given that it had about a week of (wet) exposure all summer. Given that it's the most convenient route for most AT in the downtown and all surrounding areas, why it's not prioritized is beyond me...
Very difficult to do without narrowing the river channel substantially.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 6:09 PM

Reg: the River Walk and it's Connection to the Flooway

Five years after Selinger originally made the promise, the province has seen little progress in resolving the problem.

A committee tasked with reviewing flood way operating rules is examining the issue, but its report, once expected late this fall, has been delayed by the 2014 flood.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...270106331.html

Although this quote is not directly addressing raising the River Walk, but lowering the River Level, It will still fall to the Provincial Government in conjunction with the City of Winnipeg to make any changes to the walkways in the foreseeable future.

Maybe we should ask JWL what she thinks?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Residents on Pembina are already well served by transit. I'd doubt highly that anybody would walk to catch rapid transit when they can grab a 60 or 62.

Transit cut Pembina's service pretty severely when they opened rapid transit. Neither of the routes you mentioned even exist any more, technically. The 161 dawdles up and down Pembina with terrible frequencies before it jumps on the BRT line at confusion corner. The 162 skips that part of Pembina entirely. I think there's a 170 or something, which comes about once every year. If I lived around there I'd be pretty unimpressed by losing transit service while being blocked from reaching a nearby rapid transit station.

The Rotten Ronny's is pretty much exactly across the yard from ft Rouge station. The city could even do something crazy like turn Carter or Hector into a bike boulevard.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Very difficult to do without narrowing the river channel substantially.
I remember someone (you?) on here a long time ago talking about how the river walk is a wedge and to make it higher, its base would have to be wider. But why do we have to stick to that structure? Lot of places have walkways and roads directly next to the water but they build up with concrete and things instead of a bunch of boulders. Like this: https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.73357...SSDYKEFw8Q!2e0

Why not just do that?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I remember someone (you?) on here a long time ago talking about how the river walk is a wedge and to make it higher, its base would have to be wider. But why do we have to stick to that structure? Lot of places have walkways and roads directly next to the water but they build up with concrete and things instead of a bunch of boulders. Like this: https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.73357...SSDYKEFw8Q!2e0

Why not just do that?
I remember that conversation (although not the forumer's names). Cost was brought up as an argument.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Transit cut Pembina's service pretty severely when they opened rapid transit. Neither of the routes you mentioned even exist any more, technically. The 161 dawdles up and down Pembina with terrible frequencies before it jumps on the BRT line at confusion corner. The 162 skips that part of Pembina entirely. I think there's a 170 or something, which comes about once every year. If I lived around there I'd be pretty unimpressed by losing transit service while being blocked from reaching a nearby rapid transit station.

The Rotten Ronny's is pretty much exactly across the yard from ft Rouge station. The city could even do something crazy like turn Carter or Hector into a bike boulevard.
I take the 60 frequently. It runs about every fifteen minutes give or take. I'll take it over the RT routes every opportunity I get given its frequency and route through the village.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:41 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:

Why not just do that?

Our soil conditions do not allow that.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:30 PM

Quote:
I take the 60 frequently. It runs about every fifteen minutes give or take. I'll take it over the RT routes every opportunity I get given its frequency and route through the village.
My mistake. For some reason when i lived in the village I thought it had been eliminated and I was stuck taking the atrocious 185 or walking to confusion corner to get to the university. I guess I wrote it off when peak frequency dropped from 5 minutes to 10-20.

Anyway, even you would admit that having the option would be nice if you were looking at a 20 minute wait, and once the line is finished to the U there wouldn't be any comparison for university bound riders.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 5:12 PM

Quote:
My mistake. For some reason when i lived in the village I thought it had been eliminated and I was stuck taking the atrocious 185 or walking to confusion corner to get to the university. I guess I wrote it off when peak frequency dropped from 5 minutes to 10-20.

Anyway, even you would admit that having the option would be nice if you were looking at a 20 minute wait, and once the line is finished to the U there wouldn't be any comparison for university bound riders.
My issue with the RT routes is that they don't stop anywhere convenient. The 60 runs a very similar schedule to the RT routes - about 14-19 minute intervals versus about 20 - and I can get dropped off somewhere I actually want to go. For instance, if I want to go to the village, it's far less convenient for me to take RT, get dropped at the station and walk 10 minutes in the freezing cold when I can take the 60. The same would go for a lot of downtown. Anything west of Donald is serviced more conveniently by the 60.

But it really comes down to what you said. If I've missed a 60 and I'm in a hurry, I'm forced to take the RT route and make up the time walking.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 7:30 PM

I understand the challanges that we face with our river, soil/clay base when it comes to the river walkway as mentioned earlier.

But where there is a will there is a way, both politically and engineering wise. Biggest factor...( + $$$$$ )

The photo below shows the east side of the Red River, where a raised concrete platform was constructed. Is it feasible to construct a walkway like this, unlikely, but it is possible, even with our difficult soil conditions.

Aaron Cohen/CMHR
https://www.facebook.com/canadianmuseumforhumanrights

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan