HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 8:39 AM

Phoenix, Arizona - Visions, Fantasy and Development.

Who knows if Phoenix, Arizona will ever become an iconic city of the United States on a contrary equal to the world. It's skyline doesn't really speak for itself so this thread is for people to communicate their concerns and issues as well as to address suggestions or visions as to how Phoenix should grow and develop as one of the United States major cities. Whether or not you support dense residential areas throughout Downtown, or mixed-developments that cry the term "urban lifestyle" is up to you. It'd just be nice to know what people would have done then or do now to this city if they had the resources, authority and power to so freely manifest a continuous creation in such a way. Any posts, thoughts, renderings etc.. are welcome!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 8:45 AM

Would look nice with the crown facing South Mountain at night.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 8:36 AM

^^^ That looks so much like the new 2 wtc in New York.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 2:56 PM

I don't believe that Phoenix needs to build 700+ ft. skyscrapers to make it a great(er) city. It's a beautiful city in its own right. Now, if Phoenix continues to build 20-35 story office, hotel & residential buildings in the urban core, fill that out nicely, it'll be just fine. Having a dense urban core of 300-500 ft. buildings is still quite significant. Not every city needs to look like a burgeoning China city, nor should it. Let Phoenix be Phoenix.

Last edited by TexasRE; Feb 12, 2014 at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 10:54 PM

I never insinuated that Phoenix wasn't beautiful nor did I suggest that the building be that tall. However I do agree with the suggestion that Phoenix should continue to maintain more density along the central core with hotel/residential/office/civic buildings, as somewhat of a "Vegas style skyline." I just believe that if the city truly wants to reinstate it's identity it should be done through the growth of more urban fashioned sense of development. Instead of something that's even more conspicuous for it's own being like 'the pin.' I don't discredit the idea of it. I just don't think that a structure of that significance would really pertain quality in the sonoran southwestern city of Phoenix. It needs to maintain style and personality. Just look at cities like Austin, Denver, Seattle or even Dallas. They all stand out significantly because of their skylines and of course Dallas and Seattle are complimented by both the Reunion Tower and Space Needle. Phoenix just needs a more broader downtown, a new city tall and more importantly density along it's core if it even wants to live up to the potential of giving itself true identity, pin or no pin.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.C113 View Post
I never insinuated that Phoenix wasn't beautiful nor did I suggest that the building be that tall. However I do agree with the suggestion that Phoenix should continue to maintain more density along the central core with hotel/residential/office/civic buildings, as somewhat of a "Vegas style skyline." I just believe that if the city truly wants to reinstate it's identity it should be done through the growth of more urban fashioned sense of development. Instead of something that's even more conspicuous for it's own being like 'the pin.' I don't discredit the idea of it. I just don't think that a structure of that significance would really pertain quality in the sonoran southwestern city of Phoenix. It needs to maintain style and personality. Just look at cities like Austin, Denver, Seattle or even Dallas. They all stand out significantly because of their skylines and of course Dallas and Seattle are complimented by both the Reunion Tower and Space Needle. Phoenix just needs a more broader downtown, a new city tall and more importantly density along it's core if it even wants to live up to the potential of giving itself true identity, pin or no pin.
I apologize by not clarifying myself better. Yes, you are correct, a more dense core and neighboring areas. I believe that Phoenix has very strict height limits due to Sky Harbor airport, much like San Diego has height limits. I'm going to guess any tower over 500 ft. (spire included) would be difficult to build downtown. Skylines are often a city's identity, lets hope that Phoenix creates its own signature and is known for it.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 11:53 PM

Indeed.

Are you aware of the zone area that sits on central and mcdowell? That area would be perfect for revitalizing some residence and retail in a mixed/use project along the core.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 5:09 PM

Yes phoenix would look nice with a bit more supertalls, but due to FAA regulations buildings in Phoenix cannot surpass 520+ feet. I live in Phoenix right now, and trust me. Whenever I'm going back from vacation, when we are about to land, the buildings like the US Bank Center and the Chase Tower seem to pop up at you. But if the tallest building in Phoenix (Chase Tower at 148 meters or 483 feet) we are able to build a skyscraper that is around 30 more feet in height before planes could possibly clip their landing gear on the rooftops.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects