HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 11:38 PM

My latest video from today which also shows (OFF TOPIC FOR HERE 432 PARK AVENUE)

BY: QUEENSNY121:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djMy...ature=youtu.be

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
Cracked.com (I think it is the Internets 2nd or 3rd most popular humor website) just held a before and after gif contest. There were lots of entries but the construction of One World Trade Center won first place. This set off a shit-show of misinformation in the comments which I just spent way to much time trying to correct. Everyone. EVERYONE is either calling it the Freedom tower, or saying "gosh, I didn't even know that we had built anything there." I am trying to inform everyone about the name change and the existence of towers 7, 2, 3 and 4 but it is an uphill battle. I know not everyone is a skyscraper nerd, but come on... Also, according to most of the commenter s, building tall towers is a bad idea because terrorists will just knock them down. These same people that will use the 'merica meme, implying we are all ignorant have exactly ZERO idea of what is going on in the world when it comes to tall building construction. I am very afraid that in ten years Americans will realize when they travel that "holy hell, we are the ones living in mud huts compared to what is out there.
Please do not discussed about 9/11 terrorist attacks. The 9/11 is from the past. Enough already! It's over!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 4:30 AM
weidncol

^^ You obviously didn't read his statement correctly. He's telling us what other ignorant people are saying on websites about this tower.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 1:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENSNYMAN View Post
Hey everyone here are some photos from yesterday hope you like:

ONE WORLD TRADE CENTER, AUGUST 29, 2014 by NYMAN2010, on Flickr
Love this shot of the 3 current tallest. Just imagine what that skyline will look like in five years.

mtayl79

edwardhblake

Visit New York's icon. See the City of shores. Walk the Streets of Manhattan.
The evolving skyline, NY Skyscrapers & Construction

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Cracked.com (I think it is the Internets 2nd or 3rd most popular humor website) just held a before and after gif contest. There were lots of entries but the construction of One World Trade Center won first place. This set off a shit-show of misinformation in the comments which I just spent way to much time trying to correct. Everyone. EVERYONE is either calling it the Freedom tower, or saying "gosh, I didn't even know that we had built anything there." I am trying to inform everyone about the name change and the existence of towers 7, 2, 3 and 4 but it is an uphill battle. I know not everyone is a skyscraper nerd, but come on... Also, according to most of the commenter s, building tall towers is a bad idea because terrorists will just knock them down. These same people that will use the 'merica meme, implying we are all ignorant have exactly ZERO idea of what is going on in the world when it comes to tall building construction. I am very afraid that in ten years Americans will realize when they travel that "holy hell, we are the ones living in mud huts compared to what is out there.

It's so funny, I was thinking the same thing about that One WTC gif. My head exploded and I audibly said "OH C'MON" alone in my house last night a haha

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 9:00 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Cracked.com (I think it is the Internets 2nd or 3rd most popular humor website) just held a before and after gif contest. There were lots of entries but the construction
of One World Trade Center won first place. This set off a shit-show of misinformation in the comments which I just spent way to much time trying to correct.
Everyone. EVERYONE is either calling it the Freedom tower, or saying "gosh, I didn't even know that we had built anything there." I am trying to inform everyone about the name change

Don't even waste your time. There is no "name change". The reason people are still using Freedom Tower is because that's the name people will use. The official name (and address)
is 1 World Trade Center. That's the reason why - four years after the Port Authority pointed it out - news articles still have to reference the "Freedom Tower" name to explain exactly
which tower the piece is about . You'll only come of as some arrogant nut trying to push it one way or another.

We've gone over that a thousand times, but it continues here for those that care about it...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=167071

Vivienne Gucwa

edwardhblake

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:22 AM
New Yorker for life

We're at that time of year, and you know what it means - more specials on the WTC...

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1921625

Smithsonian and History channels change focus on 9/11 by looking at Freedom Tower
and the push to build it

'Rebuilding the World Trade Center' and 'Crowning New York' examine city's rebirth and a project's symbolic importance

September 1, 2014

Quote:
Two upcoming TV specials argue that it’s time to salute what replaced New York’s Twin Towers, not just focus on what brought them down.

To mark the 13th anniversary of 9/11, the History and Smithsonian channels have compiled two separate and quite different specials on the construction of the Freedom Tower and other buildings at the World Trade Center site.

History’s “Rebuilding the World Trade Center,” which runs two hours, will air Sept. 11 at 6 p.m.

Smithsonian’s “Crowning New York,” an hour long, will air Sept. 7 at 8 p.m.

“Rebuilding the World Trade Center” focuses on, quite literally, the nuts and bolts of the construction process.

It starts with clearing the site, then digging down to bedrock to anchor the foundation.

Marcus Robinson, the filmmaker, followed the process for eight years to compile the final film.

Among other things, he had 13 time-lapse cameras set up around the site, which give us fascinating shots of, say, the cranes that cleared the initial debris.

In time-lapse, they look like energetic yellow crickets.

The stars of the film are the welders, ironworkers, machine operators and other craftspeople who actually wrestled the beams into position and smoothed the concrete on the floors. Occasionally they touch on issues like the acceptance of women in construction jobs, but even then they are 100% upbeat. They talk repeatedly about the symbolic importance of this building, the way it shows America’s determination and resilience.

The sense that thousands of workers all kept a single unified sense of purpose for eight years is heartening and inspiring, though it also will amuse anyone who ever worked for more than five minutes on any construction site.

Smithsonian’s “Crowning New York” takes a much broader view of the project. Its premise up front is that the fall of the towers changed New York’s skyline in both physical and psychological ways.

What replaced them would have a similarly dual impact.

So “Crowning” goes much more into concepts and proposals and the esthetics of the designs that were ultimately selected.

While the workers get their props here, too, “Crowning” focuses more on the healing effect of planning and then physically erecting a building that said New York and America had gotten back on their feet.

Interestingly, neither documentary spends much time on alternate proposals that were rejected. Both also steer clear of the simultaneous, much more contentious debate about the memorial and museum at the site.

Developer Larry Silverstein appears in both documentaries, treated as a triumphant victor who has served all of us well.

As all this suggests, Freedom Tower history is recounted with a certain selectivity in both these new productions.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:56 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Today, 4:05 PM

I've missed a lot of discussion on this tower these past months but has the beacon started to light up New York's nights??

Old Posted Today, 4:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
I've missed a lot of discussion on this tower these past months but has the beacon started to light up New York's nights??
For a while now.

jkjhsu

CiclismoNY

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction