HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 7:42 PM

Cool Maps and Article on Toll 130

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 8:22 PM
Austinite

Very cool! 13 minutes discrepancy during afternoon rush is pretty significant. However, I suspect it would be even greater had they performed a morning rush hour comparison instead. Perhaps up to a half hour or more, depending on the conditions

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 1:44 PM

Wow, color me unimpressed. Thirteen minutes at rush hour and seven minutes at non-peak hours? ...at what cost?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 4:09 PM

It's hard to believe the difference is only 13 minutes. I live closest to the 32nd street exit of I-35, and this stretch is a parking lot for a couple miles each direction during afternoon rush - how on earth did they make it through that fast?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 4:13 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewDizzle View Post
Wow, color me unimpressed. Thirteen minutes at rush hour and seven minutes at non-peak hours? ...at what cost?
At the moment it is $3 ($2.70 txtag) to go from G'town to 71. This will increase to $4.50 ($4.05) by the end of the year. I think most times of the day, the time/cost benefits are not substantial. Again, I think the only time where it would truly make a difference is during Morning Rush, since you'll get caught in the inbound I-35 traffic. Afternoon rush you're mostly going counter-flow. SB 35 typically starts backing up just south of 183 at the peak of rush hour...after you've already exited to 183sb. 183 does slow down at the traffic lights, but not as much as 35 southbound).

Now going FROM the airport to G'town, thats when the afternoon rush would benefit Tx130, but most arent in the same type of rush to leave the airport as they are arriving.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Now going FROM the airport to G'town, thats when the afternoon rush would benefit Tx130, but most arent in the same type of rush to leave the airport as they are arriving.
Yeah, that was a fairly dumb way of showing the benefits of 130. They avoided the worst part of 35, and most of the trip was on the lighter-traffic side of the highways. The only congestion they hit was probably on that short section of 183 that still has the stoplights.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
It's hard to believe the difference is only 13 minutes. I live closest to the 32nd street exit of I-35, and this stretch is a parking lot for a couple miles each direction during afternoon rush - how on earth did they make it through that fast?
It may only be 13 minutes, but it is 13 minutes of pure stress with semi-trucks breathing down your neck with lots of stop and go. At $3.00/gallon, taking 130 almost pays for itself in gas since you have a nice even fuel burn and no wear and tear on the brakes. Probably use one half gallon less to get there and extend the life of your breaks by 50%. Not to mention the daily accident on I-35 that grinds everything to a halt, then you miss your plane. Now were talking a doctor bill for indigestion and happy pills to relieve the stress. Wow, 130 is looking cheap!

p.s. forgot to mention the rock flown into the windshield of your car.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 7:10 PM
Meh

Speaking of big trucks on I-35 breathing down your neck. Sunday evening we're coming back from Galveston and this trucker crawls up behind us on I-35 at 71 and lays on his horn. He was no less than a car length behind us and just blasted us. We weren't going slow or anything and we were in the right lane preparing to exit for Stassney. Anyhoo, he got a double birdie from both occupants in the car.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 7:49 PM
JACKinBeantown

Truck drivers are often assholes... not all of them, but enough to make it noteworthy. And when they drive like Kevin's example they're dangerous on top of it. Bring back the USA's once great rail system!

Is this road actually being built?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 8:15 PM

I cant wait till its finished from georgetown down to seguin. I drive to dallas from san antonio about once a week and sh130 would cut my drive time by 30 minutes to 2 hours. One time a few years ago it took me 7 hours just to drive from slaughter lane to william cannon exit (the next street after slaughter lane), after i exited and drove down william cannon i took mopac back around to 35. If i would have stayed on 35 it would have taken me the entire day to get through Austin.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 8:29 PM
Meh

^ How can that be? 7 hours? Was there a nuclear attack??? I live a mile north of William Cannon just west of South First Street and can't imagine how in the world it would have taken that long.

7 hours from my house in South Austin would get you well outside of Texas in all directions except for maybe the panhandle area and extreme West Texas. Even Dallas is only 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
It may only be 13 minutes, but it is 13 minutes of pure stress with semi-trucks breathing down your neck with lots of stop and go. At $3.00/gallon, taking 130 almost pays for itself in gas since you have a nice even fuel burn and no wear and tear on the brakes. Probably use one half gallon less to get there and extend the life of your breaks by 50%.
Buy a Prius. Seriously - if you're upset about wear/tear and fuel burn, a hybrid is a far bigger win than a trip out of your way on a toll road.

But anyways, I wasn't complaining about the "only 13 minutes", I was saying that I can't believe it's really only 13 minutes less during rush hour - I think they picked a day which was a drastic outlier or something.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 8:54 PM

Agree... heading to the airport from Georgetown at 8AM... it would take you about 1.5 hrs on I35/183!! I imagine about 30 minutes on 130.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
^ How can that be? 7 hours? Was there a nuclear attack??? I live a mile north of William Cannon just west of South First Street and can't imagine how in the world it would have taken that long.

7 hours from my house in South Austin would get you well outside of Texas in all directions except for maybe the panhandle area and extreme West Texas. Even Dallas is only 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
There was so much traffic cars were back up on all lanes northbound including the access roads, I saw guys pissing on the side of the road next to their car. at one point i think in an hour I didn't even move an inch. I dont know if it was construction, an accident, or both that caused the traffic but it was terrible, the worst I ever seen it and I drive through austin alot. I had pulled off on william cannon and took another way so I never saw what was causing the problem

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 9:10 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A. View Post
There was so much traffic cars were back up on all lanes northbound including the access roads, I saw guys pissing on the side of the road next to their car. at one point i think in an hour I didn't even move an inch. I dont know if it was construction, an accident, or both that caused the traffic but it was terrible, the worst I ever seen it and I drive through austin alot. I had pulled off on william cannon and took another way so I never saw what was causing the problem
When was this? I don't remember anything in the news about the roads being tied up that long. I just can't imagine it taking that long. For us, 30 minutes seems too long of a drive to North Austin.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 9:21 PM

Quote:
When was this? I don't remember anything in the news about the roads being tied up that long. I just can't imagine it taking that long. For us, 30 minutes seems too long of a drive to North Austin.
It was a few years ago not exactly sure when All I remember is how long it took me. i've been through austin many times where the construction has closed off all lanes to just one or sometimes all and they make the cars exit to the access roads. usually heavy construction in austin takes me about 45 minutes to 2 hours to get through. and if theres an accident which i see alot of them on 35 and traffic can take awhile. the last accident i saw was last week when a motorcyle passing us up going at least a hundred miles per hour south bound 35 south of new braunfels around 3:00am, i had to render aid to him because his motorcyle wiped out in front of retama park, it was a miracle he was alive much less walking, in alot of pain though.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 9:35 PM
Meh

Weird. It may have been when they were building the overpass over William Cannon for Mopac. That made for some traffic delays for sure.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Speaking of big trucks on I-35 breathing down your neck. Anyhoo, he got a double birdie from both occupants in the car.
Sounds like he more deserved a double barrel

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
Buy a Prius. Seriously - if you're upset about wear/tear and fuel burn, a hybrid is a far bigger win than a trip out of your way on a toll road.

But anyways, I wasn't complaining about the "only 13 minutes", I was saying that I can't believe it's really only 13 minutes less during rush hour - I think they picked a day which was a drastic outlier or something.
I didn't think you were complaining - I was agreeing with you, its probably way more than 13 minutes, all the more reason to take 130. A Prius, are you kidding, and give up my Suburban XL, no way man!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 5:12 PM
passion for patterns

I never understood why people thought Austin's traffic was so bad. It's bad compared to a rural, unpopulated area, yes, but there is no inherent "right" to a completely smooth-flowing highway. All I can think of is just how sad I am, that Austin didn't pony up and go the way of Portland or other more progressive cities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin