HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 1:14 AM
Meh

I'm not sure that 360 would be visible from that location, atleast in that image. I think it would be a tad bit farther west.

Also, the Hotel Van Zandt will be immediately north of The Shore. The two buildings will actually be connected up to 6 floors. That doesn't matter, though, since that rendering of it shows it from the west. That view would be showing the narrow end of the building.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 4:39 AM
hike and bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I'm not sure that 360 would be visible from that location, atleast in that image. I think it would be a tad bit farther west.

Also, the Hotel Van Zandt will be immediately north of The Shore. The two buildings will actually be connected up to 6 floors. That doesn't matter, though, since that rendering of it shows it from the west. That view would be showing the narrow end of the building.
off a tad, but it's still fun to see everything on the table.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 2:43 PM

Can anyone say, Dubai? Yikes! I like it though!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 4:12 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbelt View Post
off a tad, but it's still fun to see everything on the table.
Of course! Thanks a million for the efforts, both to you and Mopacs. That's way better than I could have done.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 7:07 PM

Austonian put a new billboard up on 5th heading into town from Mopac. Looks like their marketing efforts are gearing up.

Also, I saw a chain-link fence around the abandoned building on the site. May be getting ready for demo.

What are the dates for this? Does it need to go in front of council?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 7:58 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad707 View Post
Austonian put a new billboard up on 5th heading into town from Mopac. Looks like their marketing efforts are gearing up.

Also, I saw a chain-link fence around the abandoned building on the site. May be getting ready for demo.

What are the dates for this? Does it need to go in front of council?

Yea, they are tearing down those old buildings on the lot and city council already voted a go on this project.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 9:10 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

A quick update:the buildings that (were) on the block of 200 Congress have been completely demolished. I just drove by there about 30 min ago.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 9:23 PM

Wow these guys are fast. Didn't they say that this tower was still going through the design process though?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanE008 View Post
Wow these guys are fast. Didn't they say that this tower was still going through the design process though?
I don't think there was too much there, mainly parking lot. (pretty much walk by it every day) The Monarch did nothing for a quite a while after demolition.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 10:29 PM

Interestingly enough they disassembled the two buildings on the site. I walked by and watched a crew taking them apart brick by brick.... glad to see someone was smart enough to harvest the old materials!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 12:09 AM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

Quote:
Design-Build perhaps? Not sure if they got the soil borings or not, but some simplifying assumptions could be made to get the structural design process started.

I'd assume that given the very thorough rendering put together, they have at least a majority of preliminary structural work, i.e. basic sizes, materials, quantities, etc. in place allowing them to get the other details hammered out while demolition commences.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 1:37 AM

^^^ yeah that makes sense, now that I think about it, I think that it was only the crown that they were still contemplating.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 9:08 AM
Closed account

Quote:
^^^ yeah that makes sense, now that I think about it, I think that it was only the crown that they were still contemplating.
I sure hope they are considering that proposed crown. I think the current design for the top of the building is butt ugly. The height is great, but it looks top heavy and not at all elegant.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 11:43 PM

WOW!! were going to have an Atlanta 45 minutes away.Austin will have a better skyline than Charlotte and be closer to Atlantas league.

Anyhow it's excting to see Austin change overnight.I think San Antonio will soon have the same skyscraper explosion.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 11:48 PM

Not even close to Atlanta's league. Austin will be in the Charlotte league. Charlotte is building just like Austin, Paul in S.A TX.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 12:01 AM

Ive been to Atlanta ,maybe not quite the same league but some comprable size buildings.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 12:07 AM

Atlanta has five buildings over 700 feet, with one over 1,000. I have been to Atlanta many times, and Austin is no Atlanta (Atlanta has more than one skyline):

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 12:35 AM
Love Austin

Trae, great pics of Atlanta. I always love seeing my hometown.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 4:31 PM

he Austonian, the swank 55-story luxury condo tower that will be going up at Second Street and Congress Avenue, is going to have a toilet for dogs.

Hey, when you charge $550,000 to $3.8 million per unit, you've got to have something for the guy who has everything, right?

So the 10th floor of the joint will feature an "urban garden" with a lap pool, a billiard room, an outdoor movie screen and a dog park with a scented self-cleaning doggy john.

What this means is that if you live in the Austonian, you'll no longer have to take your dog outside for a walk. And your dog will get fat and start looking like a sausage with lips.

Scott Ziegler of the architectural firm Ziegler Cooper Architects of Houston thinks that when installed, the Austonian's dog toilet might be the first one in America.

"I try to keep up with these design blogs, and I haven't seen it anywhere," he said. "It ought to get a lot of attention. The leading edge is usually in Seattle and New York, but nobody has offered that in any of their Web sites, so I think this might be a first."

That's good, because it means that Austin will finally be known for a third thing besides live music and allergies.

The dog toilet is built flush with the floor and comes with a mechanical scraping blade.

"It's got a cleansing flush system that has a chemical aroma that attracts the dog," Ziegler said. "It's a stainless-steel plate, 18 inches square, and that's the surface that the dogs are attracted to when the dog does his business. Then you hit the fob, an electronic key, and a little scraper scrapes the dog's residue into the sanitary system. And it cleanses it."

In other words, you don't want to be there when the wiper blade breaks down and about 47 dogs show up.

Actually, what really happens is that the dog ignores the steel plate and goes in the lap pool. Then the dog nails the guy in the swim trunks on the ankle.

You've got to wonder if they keep a garden hose handy in case they need to break up the dogs. Also, is there any restriction on the size of dog that can use this dog toilet? "Not in our research, no," Ziegler said. "The plate looks like it accommodates almost anything. I hate to think what else might use it."

Kappa Sigma comes to mind, especially on Texas football weekends.

I'm curious what scent they'll use to attract the dogs. I hear Eau de FiFi In Heat works pretty well.

Ziegler says the device will be popular with dog owners who live downtown.

"Owners of condominiums don't want to walk around with a bag in their hands," Ziegler said. "So we're trying to promote a very positive experience for the owner and their dog."

Great, but won't this lead to jokes about the Austonian? Won't some people start calling the place the Pomeranian? And would you really want to live next to a building full of people who are too lazy to walk their dogs?

Oh well, at least the dog toilet will give the Austonian a new marketing logo: Close to Downtown and Barking.

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...01/1kelso.html

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 8:50 PM

Some photos from the Sales Office:

View from 26th floor:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin