HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 5:50 PM
Austinite

The website is up and there are additional renderings! Check this out

http://www.theaustonian.com

Press Release:

http://www.theaustonian.com/PressRelease.pdf

The Austonian

Focus on Luxury Urban Living, Environmental Features and Panoramic Views

Austin, Texas (January 23, 2007) –

Second Congress Ltd. today announced its newest residential development, located in Austin at the Northwest corner of Congress Avenue and 2nd Street. The Austonian, a projected $200 million mixed-use, luxury high-rise condominium development, is scheduled to break ground the Summer of 2007 with an opening date of 2009. This project will be a welcome addition to the dynamic revitalization plans underway for the Second Street Retail District in downtown Austin.

"Luxury living is all about convenience and vision combined with elegance,” said David Mahn, project vice president for Second Congress Ltd. “The Austonian is going to be just that. It will offer a complete package of unmatched features and amenities in terms of its address and convenient location, important environmental green aspects, views that will be afforded to every resident, revitalization of the Second Street District of Austin, and an extraordinary architectural design and ‘wow-factor.’ We believe the
Austonian has it all.”

Designed by Ziegler Cooper Architects of Houston, The Austonian will be an elegant, 55-story, elliptical high-rise tower designed with a glass, stone and masonry window wall system atop an urban garden deck on Congress Avenue. At the top of the building, an illuminated architectural roof element will complement the Austin skyline.

“We are privileged to offer to Austin a downtown housing experience that we believe improves people’s lives. With over 28 restaurants, substantial retail, cultural activities and 5 million square feet of office space within a five-minute walk, one can live, work and play without ever getting in a car,” said Terry Mitchell, strategic marketing director for the project. “While the views are extraordinary, we are most excited about the City of Austin becoming a leader in redefining how we can live in a compact city environment with much less of an impact to our beautiful hill country,” he declared.

Construction plans for The Austonian will include important green building innovations, such as a rainwater capture and recycling system, in addition to reduced building emissions. Currently, there are 195 luxury residences with distinctive floor plans, plus compelling interior design selections on the drawing board. The property is being exclusively represented and sold through Austin-based Gottesman Residential Real Estate. Additional features will include a resort-style outdoor pool located in an urban garden area above street level with a conservatory encompassing an outdoor promenade sundeck and cabanas. The top of The Austonian will feature a first-class workout facility and a breathtaking, scenic gathering place that is exclusive to residents. Here, residents can conduct meetings or entertain guests while enjoying breathtaking panoramic views. Project plans for The Austonian also include a private screening room, conference center, guest suites, and game room. There will be a secure dog park and a host of other personal services and amenities as well.

About Benchmark Development and Second Congress Ltd.

Benchmark Development

(Benchmark) located in Austin, Texas, is the principal of Second Congress Ltd. Benchmark is a full-service development company, creating award-winning, single-family, condo, office, retail, and mixed-use projects in both the suburban and urban in-fill markets. Projects include “Plum Creek,” a 2200-acre traditional neighborhood design mixed-use community in Kyle, Texas. Benchmark, a subsidiary of Grupo Villar Mir in Spain, specializes in reviving the great American neighborhood and fostering community interaction between citizens and local businesses.
# # #

For more information on The Austonian, please visit

www.theaustonian.com. For media inquires and

additional high resolution renderings and images contact:

Judy Schmidt
Levenson & Brinker Public Relations
214-932-6066 or 972-261-8004, judy.schmidt@levensonbrinkerpr.com

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 7:49 PM

That looks awesome. I wonder how Austin's skyline will look when this and all the other planned highrises are complete.

I've seen renderings with the other planned highrises put into the current skyline individually. Has anyone put them all together for one cool view?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 8:57 PM

So what's up with the name? Seems to me that it should be called The Austinian. The Austonian would be in downtown Austonio. Maybe Austin and San Antonio merged into Austonio, and no one to told me.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 9:31 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTU Arch View Post
Believe this project was already posted before, but essentially this was a design competition that included Ziegler, I.M. Pei, RTKL and someone else. Unfortunently the firm I worked for lost in the final round. Honestly, our design was sweet. More of an edge to it. They ended up going with the more conservative design out of the bunch.
Do you have a rendering you could share with the group?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythegreat View Post
So what's up with the name? Seems to me that it should be called The Austinian. The Austonian would be in downtown Austonio. Maybe Austin and San Antonio merged into Austonio, and no one to told me.
Perhaps The "Austinite" Tower? I love it! Congrats Austin! Here's to a future of highrises and downtown living. Now if only we could convince San Antonians that Ampsco parking lots are not quite as attractive as tall glass towers...

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 8:56 PM

That's a great looking tower. Will dwarf the current skyline!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythegreat View Post
Ha ha...good one, Kirby! I agree, but Austonian will work I suppose.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 10:35 PM

Sweet tower!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 11:07 PM
passion for patterns

god, that wal mart is disgusting.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 2:54 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I love the oval shape design of the building. It will really help diversify the skyline. It reminds me of a building you would see in Los Angeles or something.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 4:12 AM
Love Austin

Well, if it happens it will look great there.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 6:41 PM
$$Money on my Mind$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I love the oval shape design of the building. It will really help diversify the skyline. It reminds me of a building you would see in Los Angeles or something.

Yeah, in a way it kind of reminds of the tallest in LA

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Do you have a rendering you could share with the group?
Wish I could...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 8:13 PM
San Antonio, TX

I love it!

Congrats!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 4:06 AM
Austinite

Double Post

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 4:08 AM
Austinite

Please excuse my novice photoshop efforts...

My 'project' consists of best 'guesstimates' as to the scale and positioning of the Austonian within the Austin skyline. I have superimposed the rendering(s) (released last week) atop some old photos of mine:

Auditorium shores:

From the Book People parking garage, on Lamar

From Longhorn Dam (Pleasant Valley Rd at Lakeshore)

From Shepherd Mountain, NW of Downtown

From Riverside Drive

From the West-End

SE of downtown

I-35 Frontage Road

Barton Creek Mall

From the state capitol building

Last edited by Mopacs; Jan 29, 2007 at 4:13 AM. Reason: Double Post!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 4:30 AM
Meh

Oh, yes.

By the way, it's odd that you can see Saint Edward's University in that last shot from the Capitol gounds, but from Saint Edward's University, the Capitol doesn't show up.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 4:35 AM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Oh, yes.

By the way, it's odd that you can see Saint Edward's University in that last shot from the Capitol gounds, but from Saint Edward's University, the Capitol doesn't show up.
Very true, you cannot see the capitol dome from St Eds... However, you can catch a sliver of the west 'wing' of the Capitol building, which is where I took that shot from (the Senate chambers). If only the St Eds admin building were a block or two, to the west...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 5:27 PM

Excellent, Mopacs! My personal favorite is the wide-angle shot from Riverside!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 5:35 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakesalot! View Post
Excellent, Mopacs! My personal favorite is the wide-angle shot from Riverside!
Cool, no problem. Just like Kevin, I'm also fascinated how a building as tall as this will impact the skyline as a whole. The scale may be off on some shots, but I think it gives you pretty good idea how the building will fit in. I may try and pull a "greenbelt" and add a few more buildings to these shots... T-Stacy, 360 and Altavida.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin