HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 8:35 PM

Austin - Perez Sisters strike deal with proposed 34 story Marriott

Las Manitas owners strike deal with Marriott developers
Agreement ends stalemate over Congress Avenue hotel.
Click-2-Listen
By Sarah Coppola

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The owners of Las Manitas restaurant have signed an agreement that will resolve a stalemate and allow a $250 million Marriott hotel complex to be built downtown.

Lidia and Cynthia Perez will allow the landowners and future developers of 211 Congress Ave. to access and build over an alley behind that block, according to documents filed with the Travis County clerk's office.

MOST POPULAR STORIES
Dead men coaching
Cedar Park couple gives birth to record-breaking quintuplets
Notebook: Schnupp suspended
Travis threatens court fight over Hamilton Pool
Colbert Announces Presidential Pursuit
Share This Story
del.icio.usdigg
Newsvinereddit
Yahoo!Facebook
What's this?
The City of Austin owns the alley, but the Perez sisters have access rights to the alley because they own a building on the same block: 227 Congress Ave. The hotel developer, White Lodging Services Corp., wants to build over part of the alley and needed the sisters' permission to do so.

The Marriott hotel project will displace Las Manitas at its current location, 211 Congress Ave.

Earlier this year, the city offered the Perez sisters a $750,000 forgivable loan to renovate and move into the building they own up the block. But the idea sparked a public outcry and the sisters decided in August not to sign the loan, saying they didn't like the loan terms.

The sisters had used the alley access issue as a bargaining chip of sorts in their negotiations with the landowner of 211 Congress Ave., the Finley Company, and White Lodging. The developer previously offered the sisters money to grant permission to use the alley, but the sisters did not accept and the negotiations broke down last fall, prompting city officials to step in with a loan offer.

It's not clear whether or how much White Lodging has paid the sisters to grant the alley access. The sisters' lawyer, Amon Burton, referred calls to Elyse Yates, the sisters' media representative.

Yates said the sisters won't say how much, if anything, the sisters have been paid. She said she did not know the sisters' plans for the restaurant.

Finley and Richard Suttle, an Austin lawyer who has been representing White Lodging, have not returned calls today.

The one other property owner on the block, Mary Ogden, also must sign off on Finley and White Lodging's use of the alley. Odgen owns 217 Congress Ave., site of the Copa Bar & Grill.

Odgen's lawyer, Harry Whittington, said Ogden is willing to allow the alley use and plans to sign an agreement with the landowner and developer soon.

White Lodging wants to build over the alley directly behind 211 Congress Ave., but not behind Ogden's or the Perez sisters' properties. In the agreement, the Perez sisters allow use of the alley for trash pickups and deliveries, and also as a construction staging area as the hotel is being built.

scoppola@statesman.com; 912-2939

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 6:23 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Its about time that some sort of deal was made, now let the building Rise!!!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 2:56 AM
hike and bike

Did the building plans change for this? If i remember correctly, it was nothing special before, hopefully they've gone back to the drawing board.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 3:45 PM

They went from 3 original bldngs/hotels to 2. With the convention center tower going from 28 to 34 stories I believe. The other hotel will be the high end brand JW Marriott. Ideally this will drive the need for a "better design" rather than the bland tan convention centric look.

I imagine we will see new drawings around new year.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 12:54 AM

I hope we see a much more interesting building than origianally planed. I stay in Marriots quite often when I travel and I must say architecture is not thier forte. I am hoping that having a JW included may give us some hope!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 3:35 AM

I wonder how well the sisters Perez made out on this deal? I bet they got more than $750K out of the developers. Just a hunch.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin