HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 3:26 AM

haha

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 1:48 PM

haha, Nikkibeach in Austin? that would be awesome. I have been to the Miami and Cabo locations both are great.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 2:16 PM
Member since 2001

FYI: Seaholm and the Marriott complex developments go before the Design Commission on June 25, 2007...

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 8:06 PM

I read recently that they are considering locating the downtown library next to Seaholm where the current electrical substation is. The thought is that it would allow them to build more tall buildings with capitol views on the old water treatment plant site.

Anyone have more details about this?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 9:48 PM

Austin - Seaholm prep work has started

Groundwork being laid for Seaholm project
Austin Business Journal - 2:10 PM CDT Monday, August 13, 2007
Print this Article Email this Article Reprints RSS Feeds Most Viewed Most Emailed
Construction began today in the Seaholm District -- offering many the first tangible evidence of the five-year transformation of the old power plant's site into a vibrant mixed-use development.

Improvements started today include the realignment of Sandra Muraida Way and the addition of a roundabout, water and wastewater lines and a water quality biofiltration meadow.

The construction at the intersection of Sandra Muraida Way and Cesar Chavez Street east of Lamar Boulevard will close the northbound lane of Sandra Muraida Way through mid-November. Traffic will be detoured north on San Antonio Street and west on Sixth Street, and a temporary road is being constructed to allow northbound traffic to resume in mid-November. Southbound traffic on Sandra Muraida Way will not be affected.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 1:17 AM

I don't know a whole lot about this project.

But whatever happens will be cool, as long as they keep the badass "City of Austin Power Plant" sign on the west side of the power plant.

Does anyone know if they will keep that? The red backlighting on it looks like something from Gotham City or something. It's really damn cool.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 4:07 AM

Excellent. What have they been doing down there all along? Lots of drainage pipe or something was put in over the course of the winter and spring near the railroad tracks. What was that for?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 5:25 AM

I checked urbanaustin.org and the rendering of the project has the sign still in tact. Awesome...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 6:29 AM
Meh

Well, this isn't the start of the construction of the actual building itself. This is just getting the streets built and utilities up to par.

Goldenboot, do you know when the building itself is supposed to start?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 3:32 PM
CIA since 2003

More information on the City website. http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/seaholm/

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 4:43 PM

http://www.austintowers.net/Austin_Downtown/index.html

Seaholm Construction Begins
August 13, 2007 16:20 Filed in: Condo Projects
Construction has officially commenced on a five-year project to transform the Seaholm power plant and surrounding site near Cesar Chavez Street and Lamar into a large mixed-use project. The initial phase of construction, as expected, include mostly infrastructure enhancements and site preparation.

Seaholm is a 7.8 acre site, the main feature of which is the 136,000 historic art deco decommissioned power plant. The redevelopment project will add a 22-story hotel and condo project featuring 80 condo units atop a 160 room hotel. While the initial phase of the project will open in 2008, the Seaholm Plaza Hotel is not expected to open until 2010.

The project will also include offices, extensive retail, and more than 3 acres of open space. However, the most exciting part of the project is the redevelopment of the Seaholm facility itself. When complete, the art deco structure will include nearly 100,000 square feet of retail and restaurants.

More than anything else, Seaholm will further shift the heart of downtown to the west. While downtown life used to center around 6th street between Congress and red river, the warehouse district, 2nd street district, and Whole Foods have shifted the balance. With Seaholm, the downtown action will increasingly be centered between Congress, Lamar, 5th, and Town Lake.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 6:39 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Seaholm Construction Begins
August 13, 2007 16:20 Filed in: Condo Projects
Construction has officially commenced on a five-year project to transform the Seaholm power plant and surrounding site near Cesar Chavez Street and Lamar into a large mixed-use project. The initial phase of construction, as expected, include mostly infrastructure enhancements and site preparation.

Seaholm is a 7.8 acre site, the main feature of which is the 136,000 historic art deco decommissioned power plant. The redevelopment project will add a 22-story hotel and condo project featuring 80 condo units atop a 160 room hotel. While the initial phase of the project will open in 2008, the Seaholm Plaza Hotel is not expected to open until 2010.

The project will also include offices, extensive retail, and more than 3 acres of open space. However, the most exciting part of the project is the redevelopment of the Seaholm facility itself. When complete, the art deco structure will include nearly 100,000 square feet of retail and restaurants.

More than anything else, Seaholm will further shift the heart of downtown to the west. While downtown life used to center around 6th street between Congress and red river, the warehouse district, 2nd street district, and Whole Foods have shifted the balance. With Seaholm, the downtown action will increasingly be centered between Congress, Lamar, 5th, and Town Lake.
Yes, construction on the power plant redevelopment, and the new hotel/condo tower, are expected to commence this coming spring (2008). Delivery of the entire project is slated for winter 2009/2010.

Quote:
...While the initial phase of the project will open in 2008...
I'm not sure what the article is referring to here, however, I do not believe any part of the power plant redevelopment project is included in this "opening." My assumption is that this is in reference to road/infrastructure projects.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 7:03 PM

"The initial phase of construction, as expected, include mostly infrastructure enhancements and site preparation."

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan View Post
More information on the City website. http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/seaholm/
Hey did anyone check out the link that SecretAgentMan posted? There is a lot of really cool historical information about the area!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 10:31 PM
the air is great up here

Back to Seaholm... I see now at http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/seaholm/default.htm that the Cesar Chavez two-way conversion project is going through a re-bidding process, with an approximate start now pushed back to "early 2008." Sigh.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars-man View Post
Back to Seaholm... I see now at http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/seaholm/default.htm that the Cesar Chavez two-way conversion project is going through a re-bidding process, with an approximate start now pushed back to "early 2008." Sigh.
Oh.. the Lance Armstrong bikeway has started. I was wondering what all that new bike lane paint etc was over by town lake and mopac was. Now I know! Cool!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 1:35 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I think we are getting off topic about the seaholm project... I for one want to know more in detail about what they plan to do to renovate the main building. Its supposed to be retail but is it going to be like a multi-lvl mall inside or how are they going to do that???

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I think we are getting off topic about the seaholm project... I for one want to know more in detail about what they plan to do to renovate the main building. Its supposed to be retail but is it going to be like a multi-lvl mall inside or how are they going to do that???
Along with this... I live right across the street from the power plant and I haven't seen anything going on there. Am I blind or are others not seeing anything either?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 4:43 AM

I walk past there several times a week and have not spotted anything. But I will admit I was more interested in the Spring activities!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 6:58 AM
Meh

As you might have noticed I've moved out some posts from this thread and merged it with an older one about Seaholm. Please only post updates about the Seaholm project in this thread. The discussion and updates should be dealing with the hotel/condo tower and the uses of it, such as retail and office space along with the hotel and condo uses. You can post updated information about the future rail stop here, but PLEASE, DO NOT GET OFF TOPIC. If there's any talk of rail transportation it should be talking specifically about this project, as in a rail stop HERE at Seaholm, not somewhere way up north along side a mall 10 miles away.

As for where the posts went. I created a thread for Austin's transportation issues at the link below and moved them there.

Austin Transportation Thread
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=137150&page=2

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Aug 31, 2007 at 7:18 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin