HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 2:45 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
What if those he got permission from were not authorized to grant permission?
Legally it would not be trespassing and he couldn't be charged, but the employer of those who granted permission would be fully within their rights to terminate employment.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 5:55 AM

What if a tornado was coming directly at him, and the only shelter was the intake facility? Would that be trespassing or some lesser charge due to mitigating circumstances?

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 6:01 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
What if a tornado was coming directly at him, and the only shelter was the intake facility? Would that be trespassing or some lesser charge due to mitigating circumstances?
Every judge ever would throw out under equity a trespass charge (which probably wouldn't even be brought) in those circumstances.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 6:22 AM
World Traveler

LoneStarMike, for the record, I'd never call the police on you - especially if you're providing pictures for the rest of us.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
LoneStarMike, for the record, I'd never call the police on you - especially if you're providing pictures for the rest of us.
I would never actually call police for a few photos either...

If I saw another post full of photos on the top of an under construction tower, however, I would tip off the police. That's just much much much more dangerous, and Mike isn't that dumb.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 1:07 PM

Oh god, the trespass argument again. I hope the police have better things to do. If not, they should find better things to do.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 6:48 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
If I saw another post full of photos on the top of an under construction tower, however, I would tip off the police.
Couldn't blame you for that. I agree - that's just unwise. Anything for a thrill these days, though. Meanwhile, in Russia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhgOJUcj8-8

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 4:14 PM

https://twitter.com/AustinCityParks/...56060250083328

Austin Parks & Rec looking for input on final two proposals for Seaholm Intake facility.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 6:15 AM

Here are the renderings of the two finalists:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/seaholmintake

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 6:17 AM

#1 is definitely wayyyyy better.

It's cohesive, fully integrated into the surroundings, has a diversity of uses and those uses are generally higher and better than that of the second proposal, and generally has much deeper thought behind it.

I'm loving the full connectivity with transportation and the street as well as to the hike and bike trail. That's a huge plus. Love the inclusion of venue space in the form of an amphitheater. I love that is actually connects to the water, unlike the second proposal. I love that the actual physical redesign of the facility brings it into the modern without ruining the original aesthetic and that the design and additions create a warm and welcoming atmosphere (whereas the second proposal is very... standoffish in design aesthetic couples with very elite uses that aren't going to be used by most in the community... like a dedicated art gallery...). I love the added veranda on the top! I love that art is included in two temporary outdoor exhibit places (and I'm sure art can be further incorporated down the line). I love that the great street concept is incorporated, which creates continuity with the city's preferred aesthetic. Nice touch.

The whole thing is a complete win and if it doesn't come to fruition I will be massively disappointed. If fully adhered to, this would be one of Austin's premiere public places, if not the premiere public place.

Last edited by wwmiv; Aug 27, 2015 at 6:32 AM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
#1 is definitely wayyyyy better. It's cohesive and fully integrated into the surroundings.
I agree 100%. This doesn't even seem to be much of a contest.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I agree 100%. This doesn't even seem to be much of a contest.
Conspiracy theory: the parks department really wants this alternative among all of the alternatives and so they deliberately picked it and the competitor they thought it would most likely defeat in public input to be the top two. I mean... there is such a HUGE distance between the two in quality. I can't imagine that others that didn't make it to this stage were actually worse than proposal 2, right? Proposal 2 is just so... awful!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 7:18 AM
World Traveler

Conspiracy theory aside, I had a similar reaction to how much they don't compare. #2 looks like they just slapped some paint on it and built another boardwalk trail (sort of) around it. #1 is a thorough plan for not only the building but the entire space and how it could be integrated into the surrounding areas. I also like how #1 has the steps down to the lake (reminiscent of the Auditorium Shores area).

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 7:22 AM
World Traveler

Side note, on #1, the picture where kids are throwing balls and such in the lawn, notice the guy on the bicycle. He's in full winter gear (as is the child) while the kids on the lawn could be mid-summer. Didn't think that one through...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Side note, on #1, the picture where kids are throwing balls and such in the lawn, notice the guy on the bicycle. He's in full winter gear (as is the child) while the kids on the lawn could be mid-summer. Didn't think that one through...
That poor kid on the back of the bike. He's definitely not dressed for 102F.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 8:00 AM

Definitely #1. I think we discussed this in the past, about how use of the rooftop would be desirable for picnic or observation. I really like the boardwalk and curved out peers. I also agree 100% with what wwmiv said on both his post and now that they have dangled the carrot in front of us, I will be painfully disappointed if this does not happen or if it doesn't begin transformation this year or early next year.
The second one is still better than doing nothing at all. I do like the plaza center in the front giving really nice curb appeal to 1st street, and the main focus is on the interior giving plan 2 year round any weather multi function options. Plan 2 does have some merits. I do like the burnt bronze windows lakeside. It gives the structure some modernization while doing a better job maintaining the historical look of the original building, like Seaholm. What both lack is some sort of waterfall or fountain feature. I love the look and sound of splashing water.

Last edited by the Genral; Aug 27, 2015 at 8:17 AM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 2:20 PM

Only negative about #1 is that big spiral staircase is going to burn the everlasting crap out of anyone who touches it in the summer time.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
Only negative about #1 is that big spiral staircase is going to burn the everlasting crap out of anyone who touches it in the summer time.
Looks like it's mostly shaded. Plus material selection can still come into play.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Looks like it's mostly shaded. Plus material selection can still come into play.
This. I expect that material will change.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 4:50 PM

Hey folks!
Notice there is a link to a Survey ( Surveymonkey) at the end of the presetation above.
Go do it ... takes a moment. Only 5 questions for both projects/

You may also be interested in the questions and how they are worded.
I also think #1 is a clear winner.... but how the questions are asked don't make that chocie as clear.... #2 may have been more designed to get the job and keep it more cost effective. Which, in this case, lead to a very uninviting space. I also realy dislike how the lake access is ignored.... which is addressed in the questions....
Oh hell... just go take a look! LOL!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin