HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 6:48 AM

Like so many large-formats, you just get lost in 'em...

Yes, you do Beaudry. Ain't it fun?

Anyway, what I noticed was the LACK OF HANDRAILS on the steps leading from just below Harold's right knee to his co-star's a.. uhhh... I mean....shoes.

Also noticed the same in Kiss Me Deadly. For those familiar with the movie, as I now am: Mike is on his way to get information from the opera singer, who lives in the Hillcrest. He drives north on Clay, under Angels Flight in that now-famous shot of the passing Sinai and Olivet, and parks at the foot of the stairs There are two sets of stairs, actually - one alongside the Sunshine Apts, to the left, and the other alongside the Astoria, on the right, with some sort of concrete drainage culvert between them. The camera shows Mike beginning to ascend the stairs and then cuts to the entrance of the Hillcrest, at top, Mike walking through the lobby doors and we overhear a cabbie in an adjacent phone booth.

Nary a handrail in sight. (While the "lobby-shot" does show handrails, it was established earlier that it's an entirely different set of stairs than we see at the beginning of Mike's hill-climbing adventure, as the actual Hillcrest was ABOVE the Sunshine, on Olive.)

How long would it be until somebody like Cal-OSHA was camped on your doorstep if you tried to pull that off today? Five minutes?

Perhaps life is safer now. Maybe less dangerous. Certainly less interesting.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by malumot; Dec 13, 2010 at 8:01 AM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 6:48 AM

Beaudry might get a kick out of this. About a year ago, he helped me locate the SRO hotel where my mother and her sister shared a room when they first moved out on their own in 1936. There were photos of the place in our family album, but I never knew exactly where it was. Beaudry looked it up in an old directory and found out that the Barker Hotel was located at... well, you can see for yourself on this linen postcard I found recently:

Here were the photos Mom had from her time at the Barker (1936-1938).

Mom was a secretarial student at Woodbury College at the time. (I still have those same art deco picture frames!)

Isn't it neat how hotel residents used to socialize like this? My how times have changed!

Enlargements of these family album photos can be viewed in my blog post about the Barker.

-Scott

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Dec 25, 2017 at 6:18 AM. Reason: Repaired broken image links

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
You note on your site that you think it may be '04 because the Lankershim is under construction; I would second that in that the Moore Cliff, in the center of the right panel of the card, is covered in scaffolding. It TOO was constructed (and opened) in aught-four!

That's an amazing piece, congrats.
Wouldn't it be nice to know that, 100 years from now, some as-yet-unborn whippersnappers of the future will be able to nail down our present-day historical details like we're doing today for those of our past generations? You know it'll happen! Unfortunately, we just won't live to see it. ^^

By the way, I've been meaning to ask. Is anybody archiving this thread? This has become a very important online source on the subject of L.A. history, but unfortunately, websites like this tend not to endure for very long. I wouldn't even count on skyscraperpage.com being here next year, let alone 5, 10, 20, 50+ years from now...

-Scott

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Jun 12, 2012 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 1:04 PM

an amazing cloud shrouded sky looking west on wilshire boulevard from new hampshire street in the 30's

Source: USC Digital Archives http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets...27-1-ISLA?v=hr

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 5:45 PM

Smile some more harold lloyd fun!

In safety last, harold llloyd scales the von's department store facade to drum up business, (and to save his job to boot).

it's quite a challenging endeavor, but what makes it more nerve racking.....the dayum building keeps moving on him whilst he's scaling about like a human fly!

Here are a series of screen captures to demonstrate how this seemingly solid, well built immovable edifice gets around town more than a dishwater blond with a charge account at every downtown watering hole..............

we start off with an establishing long shot showing the building to be scaled . well lookee here, it appears to be the International Savings & Exchange Bank Building, (later known as the bank of italy building), at the corner of spring street and temple street. the old hall of records is peaking out on the left side of the building

the next shot is looking up the facade of the building showing the clock which will figure into some trouble for our hero later on

now wait just a dab blammit minute there........ howcome we didn't see a clock in the 1st establishing long shot????!!!???

oh... wait a minute, there it is, (must have had some prototype keebler elfs doing stagehand chores....ahhhhh the magic of hollywood). note the hall of records still peeking out on the left.....

Harold begins his climb, and reaches the 1st ledge......wait a second.....what view is that? blackstones??? further up on the left the majestic theater?!!!?....well bless my soul, the building has developed wings and has flown to a new location at the intersection of 10th, (to be named olympic in a few years when the .......well olympics come to town). and broadway. broadway splits into broadway to the left, and broadway place which merges with main st. on the right.

not seemingly being bothered by the buildings new address, 10 blocks to the south, and two blocks to the west of where he started.....(i say two blocks because new high street used to run between spring and broadway). view looking down showing that soon to be pesty clock.

keep on climbing....keep on climbing....kee.....what in the sam hill balzes is going on here???!!!, this varmint building has moved again....it's back to where it originally was. we are now looking south up spring street from temple street. you can see the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California building (soon to become the million dollar theater building), off to the right in the distance, which is located at 3rd and broadway

keep climbing....keep climbing....there's the roof of the old post office building on the right.....whew...the building seems to be staying put for now.

harold seems to be trying to grab the ledge to his left.........whoa nelly!!!! how in tarnation did we get back to 10th and broadway??!!? harold shoulda taken some Dramamine before this trip.

never mind, he reaches the ledge and........yoiks!!!!!! we're back to temple and spring fer cryin' out loud. i sure hope harold is gettin' frequent flyer mileage points for this trip!

never mind....just keep climbing.......he's almost up to the clock.....doh! the building has lept once again to broadway.....but wait a second, this ain't 10th and broadway......why it's ninth and broadway. the majestic theater which had loomed off in the distance, is now directly across the street, and there's the old hamburger's, (soon to be may co.) department store at 8th and braodway!!!

i knew that clock was gonna give harold trouble....lets see if he can grab that rope to get him out of this jam........(thank goodness, the building once again is staying put.......

all right...good, he got the rope.........what the.....??!!?? the building has lept a block south back to 10th and broadway

ok...almost at the roof.....whoa...whoa....wait just a cotton pickin' minute.......we're back on spring street, but it's 6th street and spring....??!!?? there's the alexandria hotel at the corner of spring and 5th

whew! made it to the top, and the building is staying put again, that lanyard for the flag pole looks like trouble though...........

wheeeeeee! a nice shot looking south on spring street....there's the stock exchange on the right between 6th and 7th

ahhhhh finally! at the top, and in the arms of his true love............and once again, the building has moved three blocks south and one block west back to 9th and broadway, there's hamburgers once again with the white coast federal savings building across 8th street...i don't know about harold, but i sure am exhausted!

so the next time i need a taxi, i'll just hail a building!

Last edited by gsjansen; Dec 13, 2010 at 6:53 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 7:32 PM

an interesting comparison of two views looking west on 6th street between main and spring street.

it appears that both images are taken from the roof of the central building located at the sw corner of main and 6th.

the 1st view is 1905

Source: USC Digital Archives http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets...-4-8-ISLA?v=hr

the 2nd is from 1917

Source: USC Digital Archives http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets.../CHS-5721?v=hr

it is simply amazing at how fast the downtown area grew in a short 12 years

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 11:30 PM

A & P Revisited

On this sad day for The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company, a brief tribute to its time in Los Angeles:

Los Angeles Times, May 2, 1950

USC Digital Library http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets...1346/CHS-43866
Larchmont Boulevard

http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogsp...acific-in.html
Gayley & Lindbrook, Westwood. Demolished.

http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogsp...acific-in.html
Wilshire & Cochran. This building's facade (if not the whole building) still stands, now incorporated into a Staples store that has a Guggenheimesque addition to its left.

LAPL http://jpg1.lapl.org/00082/00082758.jpg
East Foothill & Rosemead Blvd, Pasadena. Grand Opening, April 1959

California State Library http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...2V4U3VU4LH.jpg
Vernon

USC Digital Library http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets...1385/CHS-41356
One we've seen here before: Sunset & Fairfax

LAPL http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics27/00048175.jpg
Per the LAPL: "A train of the L.A. Junction Railway Co. is stopped in front of the warehouse of the Great Atlantic
and Pacific Tea Co., importers of tea. Photo dated: January 7, 1932."

Read the complete L.A. A&P story here: http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogsp...acific-in.html

And here is all the rest you could possibly want to know about it:
http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=494
http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=872

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Dec 14, 2010 at 12:51 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 12:02 AM

gsjansen, your Harold Lloyd post was extremely FUNNY.
Do some more...please.

Scott,
I don't think anyone is archiving the thread. (is it possible?)
But I agree, it should be preserved one way or another.
There is more information in this thread than most books on Los Angeles history.

I like those A&P photos

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 14, 2010 at 1:49 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
No shortage of neo-noir bedbug-and-clap traps remaining along Ventura in Studio City--here are a couple still standing. I thought at first that the Charles might be the Valley Springs, but now don't think so. And there's an even older tourist court next door. Can't make out the name on the sign, though.

Google Street View

Google Street View

Google Street View

originally posted by Beaudry

I found it! The tourist court on the right (in the above photo) is the El Royale Motel.

googiesque

Tim Hoffarth

Below: I LOVE this decrepit sign. I wonder if it still lights up?

googiesque

googiesque

It's AMAZING that this place still exist. It looks more like a movie set than a real place.
I would stay here for sure.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 15, 2010 at 2:37 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 12:41 AM

Crown Motel Redux

Great work on The Crown, Ethereal.....I know it, or know OF it, fairly well....

I have a friend who works at Carl's Jr. HQ, which is a block or so away from The Crown, and just south of the eastbound 91. I saw it one day and went into "Motel Hunter Mode", which is basically when I ask myself "WTF is this old motel doing out here, on THIS street, in THIS neighborhood?" (I'm sure most of you can relate.) As it is now, The Crown is surrounded by mostly vacant lots, a tire store, a Salvation Army outlet. Lots of bums and homeless in La Palma Park across the street. It is in some sort of urban redevelopment zone, though as in many cases the emphasis is more on clearing of lots than "redevelopment".

Well, as with most things, there is a reason.....and a story.

Prior to the Freeway Age, the "Coast Route", U.S. Highway 101, took the motorist from Downtown through East LA, Whittier, and La Habra before turning south and hitting Fullerton, Anaheim, Santa Ana and points south. Here's a 1941 map.

Let's examine Orange County more closely......and what is that little 45 degree jog to the right, about halfway between Fullerton and Anaheim?

THAT, my friend, is Los Angeles Street - now renamed La Palma Parkway, and was the main highway entering Anaheim back in the day. (Now the postcard makes sense!) The Crown is "1136" in the middle of the satellite photo.)

La Palma Park has it own interesting history. Built in the mid-1930s it was soon washed away by the horrific floods of March, 1938 (I suggest a quick google of "Los Angeles flood 1938" to learn more.) You can clearly see the diagonal "Los Angeles Avenue" in the air photo.....and YES, that is a house, washed off its foundations and deposited in the middle of the road.

The park was rebuilt and for a few short years - from 1939 through 1941 - was the spring training home of the Philadelphia Athletics. Now named Glover Field, still in use for high school football games (see the grandstands across from The Crown)

Last edited by malumot; Dec 14, 2010 at 1:03 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 12:50 AM

The Copacabana Inn at 5304 S. Figueroa St.

Joey Zanotti

Joey Zanotti

And it's still in business.
Phone 1-323-234-1844 for reservations.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malumot View Post
Great work on The Crown, Ethereal.....I know it, or know OF it, fairly well....

I have a friend who works at Carl's Jr. HQ, which is a block or so away from The Crown, and just south of the eastbound 91. I saw it one day and went into "Motel Hunter Mode", which is basically when I ask myself "WTF is this old motel doing out here, on THIS street, in THIS neighborhood?" (I'm sure most of you can relate.) As it is now, The Crown is surrounded by mostly vacant lots, a tire store, a Salvation Army outlet. Lots of bums and homeless in La Palma Park across the street. It is in some sort of urban redevelopment zone, though as in many cases the emphasis is more on clearing of lots than "redevelopment".

Well, as with most things, there is a reason.....and a story.

Prior to the Freeway Age, the "Coast Route", U.S. Highway 101, took the motorist from Downtown through East LA, Whittier, and La Habra before turning south and hitting Fullerton, Anaheim, Santa Ana and points south. Here's a 1941 map.

Let's examine Orange County more closely......and what is that little 45 degree jog to the right, about halfway between Fullerton and Anaheim?

THAT, my friend, is Los Angeles Street - now renamed La Palma Parkway, and was the main highway entering Anaheim back in the day. (Now the postcard makes sense!) The Crown is "1136" in the middle of the satellite photo.)

La Palma Park has it own interesting history. Built in the mid-1930s it was soon washed away by the horrific floods of March, 1938 (I suggest a quick google of "Los Angeles flood 1938" to learn more.)

The park was rebuilt and for a few short years - from 1939 through 1941 - was the spring training home of the Philadelphia Athletics. Now named Glover Field, still in use for high school football games (see the grandstands across from The Crown)
That is really interesting about Highway101.
Thanks for the information malumot.

Also those maps you posted are really great.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 14, 2010 at 1:50 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I finally found it! The tourist court on the right (in the above photo) is the El Royale Motel.

googiesque

It's AMAZING that this place still exist. It looks more like a movie set than a real place.
I would stay here for sure.
Ethereal-- In this pic, you can see faintly how the sign was once merely painted with the name--apparently it was redrawn when the neon was added. Incredible place. Incredible that it survives. (I wonder for how long?) And incredible shots--speaking of shots, is that a bullet hole to the left of the "M"?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
By the way, I've been meaning to ask. Is anybody archiving this thread? This has become a very important online source on the subject of L.A. history, but unfortunately, websites like this tend not to endure for very long. I wouldn't even count on skyscraperpage.com being here next year, let alone 5, 10, 20, 50+ years from now...

-Scott
You're right, Scott--I agree that this really has become an incredible resource, random, entertaining, and comprehensive all at the same time. There really is more here than in most books on the city, and from so many angles. As I look around online for L.A.-related information, I'm amazed by the number of times I've seen reference to the forum. I really have no idea what archiving a website would mean, or how it could be done. Anybody? We must save our own L.A. artifact! To lose it would be like losing Bunker Hill all over again! Well, allright, that might be a teensy bit of an exaggeration. But not much!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 1:31 AM

You're welcome!

I first started looking into the "Los Angeles Street Diagonal" a couple of years ago actually. That was when I first downloaded the map and the flood pics.

The street is relatively wide (enough for two lanes of traffic in both directions) but rarely used. (Note there are no cars parked on the street in the current Crown photos.) Plus parts of the street still retain their original concrete surface - had not been asphalted over like most.

"There's something going on here!" I said to myself........

...sure enough..... piece of forgotten Anaheim history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
That's really interesting about Highway101.
Thanks for the information malumot.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 1:37 AM

Wow, some really great posts! Great Harold Lloyd post, gsjansen. And malumot, great post on the Crown Motel. I love the maps you posted, too. I have a Renie Atlas of Los Angeles County from 1943, but it's only of LA County (with a California state highway map). It's cool seeing a map of pre-freeway Orange County. Gaylord, the post on the A&P Markets is also very interesting. Of course seeing the list of locations, I just had to Google map the Alhambra address, being that I live near Alhambra and I wanted to see where it was located/if the building still exists. Unfortunately it's gone. A strip mall circa 1980s is there now, in the heart of downtown Alhambra, even, the southeast corner of Main and Garfield. I'm wondering if the Pasadena location on Foothill and Rosemead is now the Whole Foods that's located there. There's a shopping center there that includes a Sears, but the center itself looks like it might've been remodeled many times over the years.

I know the Charles Motel and El Royale Motel well. Not because I ever stayed at either of them, but because across the street and a little west from that location was a great Hungarian restaurant called Lazlo's Hortobagy. It was very good, and the clientele was always an interesting bunch-- old loud San Fernando Valley Jews, young couples dressed up for dinner, and sometimes TV celebs. I remember seeing Eric McCormack from "Will & Grace" there (a show I never watched). But the Charles Motel always looked so seedy, especially at night, and it had these weird colored floodlights shining on the walls. And there were always a few cars in the lot, I assumed they were charge-by-the-hour illicit trysts. I haven't been there in a while because Lazlo's Hortobagy closed like 2 or 3 years ago; last I saw, it had become an Indian restaurant.

This is probably a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone might have any info on a place called the Wulpole Hotel, on or near Main and 5th in downtown Los Angeles? I ask because... well, it's kind of a long story, but on a birth certificate dated from 1946, for the address listed for the birth parents, all it says is "Wulpole Hotel, Main and 5th, Los Angeles." There's no exact street address given. I've looked up Wulpole Hotel online and can't find any info on it.

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Dec 14, 2010 at 1:48 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 7:57 AM

What kind of a name for a motel (or any other kind of establishment) is WULPOLE? Ha!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esotouric View Post
Such a shame about Stillwell's, but it reminds me of a wonderful little thicket of surviving older motor hotels just east on Ramona, a road not often traveled since it's uncomfortably freeway-close. You'll find them where Ramona turns into Garvey, around Montezuma and Carlos. (see crummy Google streetview image below)

Cuter still, cruise south down Atlantic and look left to spy this gem at 438 El Mercado Avenue, tucked amidst much new development but still just as cute as the day it was hatched.

I love the Milla -- there are a lot of postcards of Monterey Park motels, never seen one of this'un. Of course, I've never been inside to ask for one, and for all I know, they've had the same postcards sitting out on their counter since 1956. http://www.flickr.com/photos/snakmagic/4280742158/

Here's a few images of The View (since we seem to be on the subject of Shows We Don't Watch lately) and the Midwick:

Once 2436 W Garvey, now just 1901 Garvey. I really want to underscore what a sexy, successful piece of modern architecture this motel is. That roofline, that corner window, the tower-as-sign:

Of course the tower-as-sign was covered in neon; of course they recently stripped it of all of its neon. http://www.flickr.com/photos/7623944@N03/4029756630/ The tubing is gone from the letters, reversible, but the can for the drive-in-here is dumpstered, presumably. Note in the postcard image the sign was made up of horizontal boarding -- interesting choice -- which one can see more of in the avilon_music close-up.

As for The View up the street, once 2500 W Garvey, now 1851:

Blessedly as of this writing it remains pretty unchanged. The sign has lost where it read "Apts & Rooms" but otherwise, at least it's still neon.

(...I thought Midwick was an interesting name for a motel, and so learned some [I thought] interesting things about the Midwick Country Club while I was at it...go here http://www.cityofalhambra.org/commun...ing/index.html and scroll down to Midwick Tract... also http://www.cityofalhambra.org/community/midwick.html and http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...ub-alhambra-ca )

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Ethereal-- In this pic, you can see faintly how the sign was once merely painted with the name--apparently it was redrawn when the neon was added. Incredible place. Incredible that it survives. (I wonder for how long?) And incredible shots--speaking of shots, is that a bullet hole to the left of the "M"?
Actually I think what you have here is a neon sign reinvented...above the E, next to the M, and I think a couple on the right side and down by the 'y' have been "filled in" -- these holes are where the original tube housings were. Neon once ran along the original paint job; electrodes ran 90degrees out from the tubing into P-K housings that ran to the transformer. What they've done here is re-do the sign by booting GTO wire. Electric code doesn't actually allow this type of "twisted wire" connection on these signs, but I guess no-one is bothering them about it. I wince at these crap jobs, but nevertheless thank the heavens it's still there!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 9:48 AM

I figured a) if anybody'd appreciate this, all y'all would, and b) if anybody'd be able to find another angel...

http://www.laobserved.com/visiting/2...ing_richfi.php

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos