HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
nit-picky, but I think it's super annoying that whoever designed the lights in this space didn't ensure consistency. It's less noticeable in person, but as you can see in Corey's photos above, the main Oculus, mall hallways, PATH hall, west st hallway, and the retail stores themselves all have different color temperature lights. Some look pink, some look blue, some look yellow. Why they couldn't settle on one temp and stick with it throughout is beyond me.
That's the white balance of the photographs, not how it actually looks to the eye.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 10:22 PM
Walk taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post

...And it looks like all that marble damage, other than the chip, could be washed/buffed out (not sure how porous that marble is)
I don't think buffing will help, short of sanding a 2-inch divot into the floor. They really just need to be replaced, at a steep cost no doubt.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 12:44 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darias060 View Post
That's the white balance of the photographs, not how it actually looks to the eye.
Correct , The pure white photos are closer to what you see in real life...I was trying to take its cold and sterile vibes off and replace them with warm vibes...its a mix of white balances...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 8:34 PM

I mean, yes and no. It's not as pronounced difference as some of your photos look, but they are still different in the different areas of the space. It's like when someone replaces 1 light in a fixture with "warm white" when the rest are "cool white", only they're different areas so you don't notice the difference as much as if they were right next to each other.

The most obvious place to see the difference with your natural eye is by the escalators to the WFC (Brookfield Place). There are CFL pot lights at the base of the escalators but once inside the West st. underpass the lighting switches to florescent tubes on the arches which are a completely different color temp.

In other news...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ.com
The last two station platforms in the hub will be opened at 5:30 a.m., Port Authority officials said in a release. While that will improve circulation in the station, it will not change PATH service, officials said. PATH staff will be available to direct commuters to the correct platform.

Restrooms, that other important passenger amenity, will also open on the south side of the mezzanine on Thursday. They will be open daily from 5:30 a.m. to midnight.
Source: NJ.com

Last edited by drumz0rz; Sep 8, 2016 at 9:03 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 8:36 PM

I didn't know they were going to do this, but seeing it makes me very happy. The Southwest corner of the the PATH platforms cuts across the foundation of the original 1 WTC. They installed glass panels in the PATH platform giving you view of the original foundations below. A very nice touch, and means that nearly 100% of the 1 WTC foundations are visible. Here are some photos:

This shows which corner cuts through the PATH.

Source: @andrewnathanson on Twitter

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 10:15 PM

I wonder if i'll get detained if I try to take a photo of that...

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 2:48 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I wonder if i'll get detained if I try to take a photo of that...
Why would you be...?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 6:45 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Why would you be...?
PATH has a photoban , and they often ticket or harass phototogs...the rest of the PA also has photo restrictions....they detained someone on the GWB for several hrs...all she did was take a photo of the welcome to NJ sign...

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 8:16 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
PATH has a photoban , and they often ticket or harass phototogs...the rest of the PA also has photo restrictions....they detained someone on the GWB for several hrs...all she did was take a photo of the welcome to NJ sign...
I think its hit or miss. Like if you do it when no PA official is around, you'll be good. I see it going on all the time. Even than, a lot of those people hate thier jobs, so I don't think they will care since everyone takes pics. Especially the convoys of tourists that inhabit that area. But every once in a while, you'll get the ego trippin' PA prick who has to say something. Best thing really is just to look around. If you're in the clear, go for it.

Judging from how many folks take pics inside PA facilities or transit areas, I don't think it's an issue.

And if all else fails, play the dumb tourist card. "Really, o man, had no idea". Something along those lines.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2016, 7:04 PM
BANNED

How the actual fuck is a photo ban even legal in a public transit location? That's absurd.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 12:21 AM

Visited the mall last week. Signage is atrocious. Not one directory. Lots of "Path ->" signs but nothing else.

Had to ask 3 people how to find Eataly for example.

Also, zero info on PATH schedule, upcoming trains, etc.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 12:32 AM

Taken yesterday - 9/16/16

hosted on smugmug

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 12:44 AM

^Notice in pic 1 the north pool protruding into the transit hall against the back wall

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 9:58 PM

Taken Yesterday - 10/6/16

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 12:15 AM

Are those entrances to the (1) train on both the south and north ends of the overhead track?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Are those entrances to the (1) train on both the south and north ends of the overhead track?
Would love to know the answer to this.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 6:19 PM

[vent] It's an impressive column free space for the most part. The one place they do have columns is in the the worst possible location: on the stairway platforms interrupting ingress/egress. [/vent]

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post

It certainly looks like it. Maybe there will be an underpass to the 1 train platform at each side? There's also the connection to the 1 train up on the mezzanine which I'm guessing will connect right to the uptown platform.

Speaking of the Cortlandt St station, has the MTA released any renders or details about the planned design? Perhaps plain white subway tile walls like the new 2nd Ave subway? It'll be a bit odd with the transition from the white polished marble running through the whole space, to dirty concrete subway platforms...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
Visited the mall last week. Signage is atrocious. Not one directory. Lots of "Path ->" signs but nothing else.

Had to ask 3 people how to find Eataly for example.

Also, zero info on PATH schedule, upcoming trains, etc.
LoL

Two or three weeks ago, I also did the hunt to find Eataly. A simple sign would've made it a little easier!! lol

It looks like the only establishments doing any business is Eataly, the Apple Store, and the really overpriced sandwich\hotdog place to the left upon exiting PATH.

The employees in the rest of the shops look bored from standing around all day, but I guess that's typical for high end retail where they only need a few customers buying high markup items. I still believe this area would be better served with more shops catering to the PATH riders and nearby office workers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture