HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
That superblock that contains Trader Joes, Home Depot, Whole Foods etc is horrible. It keeps everything disconnected.
I always liked the original plan for that where 8th street by Grady in front of Trader Joe's actually went through the center, by the theaters and continued over to the next shopping center and actually emptied out onto Ponce in front of City Hall East. That would have really opened all that up.

Apparently, the local NIMBYs didn't want the increased traffic and insisted the two shopping centers not be connected, esp with a city street.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech View Post
I always liked the original plan for that where 8th street by Grady in front of Trader Joe's actually went through the center, by the theaters and continued over to the next shopping center and actually emptied out onto Ponce in front of City Hall East. That would have really opened all that up.

Apparently, the local NIMBYs didn't want the increased traffic and insisted the two shopping centers not be connected, esp with a city street.
^That's the thing. All the NIMBY bring up how their historic(?) streets can't handle all this traffic. Meanwhile they all live in the center of the city and have 2 cars+ per family.

Superblocks are anti-pedestrian and anti-bicycle.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedestriAnne View Post
I lived on that dead end for a year, back when it was Yorke Downs apartments. I can't believe how different it is now. You'd never know it's the same place. I loved that neighborhood, but I hated how the "number" streets (25, 26 and 28) were cut off from each other. Does anyone know why there's no 27th Street?

Anyway, there used to be a sort of secret shortcut out of the dead end. It was a seriously steep, curved driveway that went around and behind a really small apartment complex that is/was just to the right of the entrance to what's now City Place. It was right here. The other end of the driveway came out on Ardmore Circle. I don't know if the little apartment complex is back there anymore, but as you can see, that driveway has been plowed up, covered up and grown over.

I've still not been on a Beltline tour so I just signed up for one this weekend.
I thought I was the only one that knew about that super-secret short-cut

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 10:53 PM

Here's a presentation by Ryan Gravel on the idea for the Beltline and Atlanta in general.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 10:15 PM

Eastside Trail construction now underway.

The first phase of the Eastside Trail, a 2.5 mile long segment of trail and linear greenspace starting at Monroe Drive and 10th Street and ending at DeKalb Avenue, is now under construction. Construction will be underway until early 2012.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 2:10 PM

Very cool. Anyone know if the street car will run far enough to reach this trail?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 6:24 PM

Fourth Ward Skate Park opens Saturday,June 11

From Thrillist.com

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinatl View Post

Very cool. Anyone know if the street car will run far enough to reach this trail?
It wont go that far at first, but it will be connected to the beltline when they build the transit

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 1:29 PM

Old 4th Ward Park OP ED

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 8:21 PM

Atlantic Magazine hails Beltline as "America's Most Ambitious Smart Growth Project

I once called the Atlanta BeltLine "the country's best smart growth project." I still haven't seen one that is better in concept. But now, with a few years of history, how is the implementation coming along? Is the reality matching the vision?

The challenge with writing about the BeltLine is that the massive public/private undertaking is so enormous, so multifaceted, so ambitious and potentially transformative, and so complicated that it is difficult to know where to start, how much to say, and what comments are fair. I'll try to boil it down to a few impressions that I have formed as a highly interested observer from afar:

http://www.theatlantic.com/life/arch...roject/242549/

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 12:12 AM

Beltline EIS Alignment Alternatives

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 4:29 PM

Pretty cool news re: The Beltline this week:

http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/...ce-city-market

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 1:00 AM

Here's a map of the Beltline routes included in the Transportation Investment Act project list.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Dec 23, 2011 at 3:07 AM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2011, 6:47 PM

Beltline Webinar October 27

Atlanta BeltLine creator Ryan Gravel will discuss the concept of the Atlanta Beltline, considerations made in its design, and how it all comes together to benefit Atlanta and the region. Gravel and BeltLine Communications Director Ethan Davidson will be available to answer questions from the public during the presentation, and it will be archived for later viewing.

Link

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 11:36 PM

Beltline wins $4 million grant to help build ramp linking Ponce to project

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 11:54 PM

O4W park extension finished

I had a few sunny minutes to check out the segment of the park connecting the pond north to North Ave. Here’s a view from North Ave south to the pond with the Masquerade on the left and the WSB tower in the background

Here’s a view facing east of the new plaza that abuts North Ave

Here’s a close-up of one the trees in the plaza. Note the unusual blue rock bed

And, finally, a shot of the whole plaza with Ponce City Market in the background

Looking good to me. Hopefully there will be a cross walk around here to get to the other side of North Ave safely

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 2:51 PM

On November 14, 2011, Judge Cynthia Wright entered summary judgment in a taxpayer lawsuit challenging the City's financing for the BeltLine. It was a significant step towards validation of the bonds to finance construction. I suppose not many people are aware that the project has been running at only a percentage of the investment necessary to complete it. One employee of the BeltLine said that validation of the bonds will speed the pace of development "exponentially".

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 2:56 PM

Atlanta Streetcar

Shovels are finally in the ground for the Atlanta Streetcar, as utlity relocation has begun: http://www.atlantadowntown.com/_file...fact_sheet.pdf

I expect this project to move quickly (in large part because a condition of the award of Tiger funds was that it be completed by the end of 2012, though that appears unlikely).

This project is only likely to increase the rapid pace of urban renewal in the Fourth Ward and Sweet Auburn areas, which has seen considerable project announcements and developments despite the economic downturn.

I heard one proposal to call the new line the "ATL," which would stand for "Atlanta Transit Line." I'm definitely a fan of that.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:53 PM

cool beltline vid.

http://vimeo.com/37647202

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 7:04 PM
Thought Criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
I had a few sunny minutes to check out the segment of the park connecting the pond north to North Ave. Here’s a view from North Ave south to the pond with the Masquerade on the left and the WSB tower in the background

Here’s a view facing east of the new plaza that abuts North Ave

Here’s a close-up of one the trees in the plaza. Note the unusual blue rock bed

And, finally, a shot of the whole plaza with Ponce City Market in the background

Looking good to me. Hopefully there will be a cross walk around here to get to the other side of North Ave safely
As a child of the 90s who spent a lot of time at the Masquerade, these improvements are mind boggling. That area was literally a dump not too long ago.

Last edited by waronxmas; Mar 9, 2012 at 7:31 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta