HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 5:29 PM

Aylmer to Britannia pedestrian bridge concept

This appeared in the Aylmer bulletin today about a proposal to create a pedestrian bridge from Aylmer to Britannia.

If you would like to share your views on this proposal, feel free to fill in the survey on the website below:

https://deschenesrapidsbridge.org/

I think this is a simple, cost effective & great concept to "bridge" the 2 communities together.

Last edited by jt-mtl; Jun 20, 2023 at 6:10 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 6:06 PM

Personally I'd like to see a seasonal ferry crossing but a bridge probably doesnt make sense given the width of the river in that area

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 6:13 PM

Privately funded or crowd funded....uhh...

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
Personally I'd like to see a seasonal ferry crossing but a bridge probably doesnt make sense given the width of the river in that area
Same here, I would love a ferry as well and there was a proposal for it in 2011, and this is the only article I could find:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/hull-...mer-and-kanata

I thought I remember Brigil saying they would be interested in running the Ferry but it never came to be.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 7:13 PM

This is easily a quarter-Billion dollar project. Good luck finding that money, privately or publicly.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 8:02 PM

There cost estimates are way off, $45 million to $70 million. That could have been maybe 10 years ago. Just retrofitting Commanda was $22.6 million. Flora Bridge was $21 million pre-pandemic, ad that one is 10% the length.

Great project if they can make it happen, but I highly doubt it.

Moving the thread to Transportation.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 8:07 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

And if they’re gonna build a pedestrian bridge, MTQ may as well resurrect Autoroute 550…

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 8:39 PM

You know what would be awesome here? OC/STO Gondola

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergate View Post
You know what would be awesome here? OC/STO Gondola
I was thinking another interprovincial zip line . Make it an adventure area

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt-mtl View Post
I was thinking another interprovincial zip line . Make it an adventure area
Surely cannons and nets are cheaper? Maybe an electric rail gun to be enviro friendly?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
And if they’re gonna build a pedestrian bridge, MTQ may as well resurrect Autoroute 550…
Would love the Autoroute 550 to be a reality. Aylmer/Gatineau already has the land zoned out for it, but looks like the Britannia/Ottawa side does not want it.

This is a nice alternative to start with. I think if they ever plan to build a bridge, it would further out west.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Would love the Autoroute 550 to be a reality. Aylmer/Gatineau already has the land zoned out for it, but looks like the Britannia/Ottawa side does not want it.

This is a nice alternative to start with. I think if they ever plan to build a bridge, it would further out west.
If someone is going to build a bridge - this is the narrowest spot and therefore the cheapest location.

In which case - why not just build a rail/pedestrian bridge combo. Run some kind of LRT - or the Gatineau tramway - across it from Lincoln fields up to Alymer town centre.

Sure it would cost a lot more to start, but we'll probably need to put a bridge/tunnel here in the long run. So why not combine them and save money in the long run?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 12:40 PM

The idea received some news coverage: https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/proposal-f...ntum-1.6511635

I think they skimped on talking to people on the Ontario side... I suspect the opposition to it would be quite fierce if they'd spoke with more people. Personally, I wouldn't mind a pedestrian/cycle bridge, but can't see this ever getting the required funding or approvals to go ahead.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 12:48 PM

Probably unpopular opinion but can we focus on some Ottawa cycling / pedestrian priorities first with our tax dollars?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 2:50 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
I don't think this'll ever happen.

It's too bad because of the land already set aside in Aylmer as you pointed out, and it's a short crossing to hook up with the parkway.

If it were the 1960s, it would probably be done easy peasy.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay31 View Post
The idea received some news coverage: https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/proposal-f...ntum-1.6511635

I think they skimped on talking to people on the Ontario side... I suspect the opposition to it would be quite fierce if they'd spoke with more people. Personally, I wouldn't mind a pedestrian/cycle bridge, but can't see this ever getting the required funding or approvals to go ahead.
Fergus supports it, so it will never happen.

I'd love this connection if it was built by the Feds. I would still prioritize Kettle and the Gatineau Tram, but I suspect we'll get none of it.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 1:38 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Aylmer man proposes crowdfunded bridge across Ottawa River
Jean-Pierre Caron estimates the bridge would cost between $45 and $70 million

Matthew Kupfer · CBC News
Posted: Aug 10, 2023 4:00 AM EDT | Last Updated: 6 hours ago

An Aylmer man has revived the dream of a direct pedestrian crossing from the west Gatineau community to Ottawa's Britannia Village across the Deschênes Rapids.

Jean-Pierre Caron says he wants you to have your say, pitch in a few dollars and maybe have the chance to name it.

"It would be the biggest GoFundMe ever with a good prize though — the winner would get to name the bridge," Caron said.

He estimates the bridge could cost between $45 and $70 million. While the National Capital Commission (NCC) would ultimately own the bridge, Caron said he hopes privately funding construction and some maintenance would assure long-term naming rights.

The NCC has recently changed the names of a major parkway and bridge along the river and adopted a new policy on place names.

"I believe people are more willing to part with their hard-earned money if they know that basically is going for a cause they believe in," Caron said.

For Caron, the bridge would cut 10 kilometres out of his commute from Aylmer to Kanata. He wouldn't have to take the Champlain Bridge, which has been snarled for months, and he'd get to travel by bike.

Caron worked with a group of University of Ottawa engineering students to look at the practicality of the plan and develop the design for a nearly 800-metre S-shaped bridge.

On top of that, he said the proposal would involve construction of modules off-site that could be assembled at the bridge so the project would only take a year.

Deschênes sector Coun. Caroline Murray said in a statement she knows about the proposal and thinks it merits further discussion with the federal and two provincial governments.

Hull-Aylmer MP Greg Fergus said he applauds Caron's initiative as a private citizen and recognizes the idea is popular with his constituents.

"Right here at Deschênes Rapids in particular, this is like a highway for bikes and joggers. I can understand it would be nice to have a bridge going along the shortest area across the Ottawa River," Fergus said.

Fergus said his caucus colleague Anita Vandenbeld said residents in her area are concerned about environmental and traffic impacts in their neighborhood.

The bridge is proposed to end in Ontario near the Britannia Yacht Club and Mud Lake, a popular part of the Britannia Conservation Area.

David Abraham, who fishes regularly in the area, is concerned about the impact it could have on the environment and skeptical about the case for a new commuter pedestrian bridge.

"What are you going to do in the winter in a blizzard? I don't think anybody is walking anywhere," Abraham said.

Howard Powles, president of the Deschênes Residents Association, said those kind of concerns have brought such proposals down in the past.

"There are many practical problems in terms of trying to build this bridge. The costs are enormous," he said.

While he's personally in favour, Powles said it would also involve building temporary dams and other construction work that would likely have an ecological impact.

Fergus said the federal government is a long way off from considering any financial commitments.

"Let's see what the popular demand is and see if people are willing to support that financially," he said.

The NCC did not respond to CBC's request by deadline.

Caron said he's received more than a thousand responses to his online survey and will continue to accept responses until late September.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...iver-1.6931958

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 1:48 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

I know that this still in the realm of fantasy planning, but how many people does this bridge actually benefit? There are low density neighbourhoods on both sides of the river and the Ottawa side doesn't even connect to the primary E-W cycling routes.

Seems like a lot of money and effort so that a few cyclists and pedestrians can get a closer look at seagull island in the rapids.

There are many more "Wouldn't it be cool if..." fantasy projects that make more sense than this one.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 1:50 PM

>> Jean-Pierre Caron estimates the bridge would cost between $45 and $70 million

Lol. If you have a time machine, maybe.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 1:52 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Yea can we crowd-fund Autoroute 550 - Highway 416 freeway link instead?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation