HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 4:37 PM

General Aviation Thread

I'm creating this new general aviation thread for any discussions on airlines, airports and flights outside of Ottawa.

Anything related to the Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport (YOW/CYOW) should go in the original thread:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...84#post9961084

For anything related to the Gatineau Airport:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...hlight=airport

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 5:55 PM

This may be old news but Toronto-Pearson and Montreal-Trudeau are the top 2 in the world for airport delays:

https://facesmag.ca/toronto-and-mont...irport-delays/

Judging by the seat map of my summer trip with AF, seems like the flights to and from YOW from CDG are full. You'd think AC would be smart enough to re-instate YOW-FRA (and other services from other non-hubs) instead of continuing to increase capacity in YYZ and YUL. It's no secret that people are doing their best to avoid those two. This would at least take some pressure off traffic in these two airports and they would actually be able to compete with AF. We may be unimportant scum to them but these unimportant scums are paying ~$200k+ per one-way flight to/from CDG that you'd think they'd want.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofYOW View Post
This may be old news but Toronto-Pearson and Montreal-Trudeau are the top 2 in the world for airport delays:

https://facesmag.ca/toronto-and-mont...irport-delays/

Judging by the seat map of my summer trip with AF, seems like the flights to and from YOW from CDG are full. You'd think AC would be smart enough to re-instate YOW-FRA (and other services from other non-hubs) instead of continuing to increase capacity in YYZ and YUL. It's no secret that people are doing their best to avoid those two. This would at least take some pressure off traffic in these two airports and they would actually be able to compete with AF. We may be unimportant scum to them but these unimportant scums are paying ~$200k+ per one-way flight to/from CDG that you'd think they'd want.
AC has said this entire time "post-pandemic" that they are going to build their hubs back up to 100%, with YYZ, YUL, and YVR.

The morning YOW-YHZ on AC Jazz is basically a feeder for YHZ's B38M flight to LHR. I was on the flight, connecting to YYT, and it seemed like half the flight strolled over to the LHR gate.

As mentioned before, AC only has 8 B788's which would be perfect for LHR/FRA from YOW. It would be tough to get an A330 here since they are based in YUL. Our best bet is filling the AF to CDG, and waiting for AC to receive A321XLRs, or LH / BA wanting to fly to FRA or LHR/LGW. I'm sure the airport authority has been in contact with them.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
As mentioned before, AC only has 8 B788's which would be perfect for LHR/FRA from YOW. It would be tough to get an A330 here since they are based in YUL. Our best bet is filling the AF to CDG, and waiting for AC to receive A321XLRs, or LH / BA wanting to fly to FRA or LHR/LGW. I'm sure the airport authority has been in contact with them.
Given that they've been deploying Dreamliners on YOW-YVR, a rotation of YVR-YOW-Europe-YOW-YVR would make sense. Probably better use of the aircraft than when they used to have the Rapidair flight on the 767.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanR27 View Post
Given that they've been deploying Dreamliners on YOW-YVR, a rotation of YVR-YOW-Europe-YOW-YVR would make sense. Probably better use of the aircraft than when they used to have the Rapidair flight on the 767.
YVR-YOW-Europe would be getting too far from base. That plane is usually on an Asian/Australian turn from YVR.

The rapidair flights used to be to reposition the 767 back in YYZ. So, LHR-YOW-YYZ, and then YYZ-YOW-FRA. Where the other did a FRA-YOW-LHR routing... but then went back to YYZ.

So you'd have FRA-YOW-LHR-YOW-YYZ.
And another plane did YYZ-YOW-FRA-YOW, etc.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
AC has said this entire time "post-pandemic" that they are going to build their hubs back up to 100%, with YYZ, YUL, and YVR.

The morning YOW-YHZ on AC Jazz is basically a feeder for YHZ's B38M flight to LHR. I was on the flight, connecting to YYT, and it seemed like half the flight strolled over to the LHR gate.

That was the original excuse to build back up the hubs yes. But in the past few months they’ve been adding brand new routes. YVR-DXB (for example) I guess is more important than building back what once was in their non-hubs. If they wanted to, they would free up a 788 for YOW-LHR somehow. Or forget about the 788, they can deploy the MAX. I truly believe they are moving more towards hub-spoke like the major US carriers. If we get more than LHR and FRA with these XLRs I will be very surprised. Now that my main hope of AF serving YOW has come true, my second hope is BA with codeshare with PD.

Last edited by fanofYOW; Jun 6, 2023 at 9:26 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofYOW View Post
That was the original excuse to build back up the hubs yes. But in the past few months they’ve been adding brand new routes. YVR-DXB (for example) I guess is more important than building back what once was in their non-hubs. If they wanted to, they would free up a 788 for YOW-LHR somehow. Or forget about the 788, they can deploy the MAX. I truly believe they are moving more towards hub-spoke like the major US carriers. If we get more than LHR and FRA with these XLRs I will be very surprised. Now that my main hope of AF serving YOW has come true, my second hope is BA with codeshare with PD.
Building back-up YVR is definitely more important to them than building back their non-hubs.

YVR-DXB replaces DEL since AC can't economically fly that route without overflying Russia, whereas Air India who flies the route, does overfly Russia. AC is starting a codeshare with EK (Emirates) and the Canada-UAE bilateral has been expanded. So this route makes lots of sense for AC. Think of it as a one-for-one replacement with DEL.

Is this unfortunate for YOW? Definitely.
But AC can do whatever is best for their business.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 6:22 PM

Happy 17th birthday to Porter: https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...896281080.html

Here's to the next 17!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 3:49 PM

Reminder: any aviation news not directly related to YOW goes here.

Thank you.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2023, 7:49 PM

Well one direct flight out of Ottawa this year, but it's back to YUL for March break. $1900 savings for 4 people will get me every time.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2023, 8:22 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
Well one direct flight out of Ottawa this year, but it's back to YUL for March break. $1900 savings for 4 people will get me every time.
Mods: please move the referenced post and any ensuing discussion to the correct thread.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=254988

Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 4:29 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWflier View Post
Mods: please move the referenced post and any ensuing discussion to the correct thread.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=254988

Thanks.
Done

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
Kind of late to be booking for March Break. We booked on the new Porter flight to MCO months ago. My wife did the booking, so I’m not sure the exact price, but it was reasonable.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 4:28 PM

Here's some YRO news. Ingenium, for the Canada Aviation and Space Museum have added a de Havilland Canada Buffalo CC-115 to their collection (DHC-5 on the civil side).

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...876935946.html

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 8:17 PM

Saw this from Porter today for those looking to use Porter (and transat) to get to Europe

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 1:45 AM

That's a match made in heaven. In your face, Air Canada! I'm still boiling that Westjet was allowed to buy Sunwing, but this softens the blow a little.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 11:39 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Air Canada lands last in on-time flights in ranking of North American airlines
Canada's biggest carrier landed 63% of its flights on time in 2023

The Canadian Press
Posted: Jan 02, 2024 3:09 PM EST | Last Updated: 2 hours ago

Air Canada notched the worst on-time performance among 10 large airlines in North America in 2023, according to a new report.

The country's biggest carrier landed 63 per cent of its flights on time last year, placing it last among the continent's 10 largest airlines, according to Cirium, an aviation analytics firm.

That means roughly 140,000 planes rolled up to the gate more than 15 minutes after scheduled arrival.

The score was five percentage points below the second- and third-lowest carriers, JetBlue Airways and Frontier Airlines.

Canada's other major airline, WestJet, placed seventh in North America with a score of 69 per cent.

<more>

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...time-1.7072663

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Air Canada lands last in on-time flights in ranking of North American airlines
Canada's biggest carrier landed 63% of its flights on time in 2023

The Canadian Press
Posted: Jan 02, 2024 3:09 PM EST | Last Updated: 2 hours ago

Air Canada notched the worst on-time performance among 10 large airlines in North America in 2023, according to a new report.

The country's biggest carrier landed 63 per cent of its flights on time last year, placing it last among the continent's 10 largest airlines, according to Cirium, an aviation analytics firm.

That means roughly 140,000 planes rolled up to the gate more than 15 minutes after scheduled arrival.

The score was five percentage points below the second- and third-lowest carriers, JetBlue Airways and Frontier Airlines.

Canada's other major airline, WestJet, placed seventh in North America with a score of 69 per cent.

<more>

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...time-1.7072663
NO!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 9:44 PM

And in other news, Air Canada stock drops 3.82% today, after news that it was the worst North American airline in terms of on-time performance.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2024, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
And in other news, Air Canada stock drops 3.82% today, after news that it was the worst North American airline in terms of on-time performance.
The market was surprised?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation