HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I'm pretty happy with what will end up being a 7+ km bikeway between Westboro and uOttawa. With the central Transitway no longer in use, this is a good evolution for the corridor.
i've been thinking the same thing. between this, the albert/slater realignment by the library, and the general improvements along the length of each road, this is going to become an amazing east-west cycling corridor that will be more direct than taking the river multi-use pathway.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 6:14 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty happy with what will end up being a 7+ km bikeway between Westboro and uOttawa. With the central Transitway no longer in use, this is a good evolution for the corridor.
It also means that there is going to be literally nowhere left in the core where surface bus transit has any lane exclusivity over general traffic.

While we are making it faster and more convenient to get from outside the Greenbelt downtown by transit, we are finding new and clever ways to make it worse from the old streetcar suburbs.

It's anti-urban.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
It also means that there is going to be literally nowhere left in the core where surface bus transit has any lane exclusivity over general traffic.

While we are making it faster and more convenient to get from outside the Greenbelt downtown by transit, we are finding new and clever ways to make it worse from the old streetcar suburbs.

It's anti-urban.
The real problem with Urban transit right now and the foreseeable future is the North-South axis not the East-West, Albert and Slater are East/West road

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 7:59 PM

I remember seeing renderings a few years ago where they had the bike lanes going down the middle of the bridge with planters along the sides. I liked that better but this is good too.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 9:21 PM

Quote:

It's anti-urban.
I find it a bit strange that there seems to a half-lane buffer on both sides of the vehicle lanes. Since the cycle tracks are grade separated (which is great), I'm not sure why they couldn't take away that buffer and have a third lane that is transit only for either east-bound or west-bound.

That or make this whole stretch transit-only using the 2 lane configuration in the renders?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
The real problem with Urban transit right now and the foreseeable future is the North-South axis not the East-West, Albert and Slater are East/West road
The real problem with urban transit right now is that everyone in this city with any say in the matter is quite content to let a quarter of the city's population, and a larger share of the city's transit-riding population, sit aboard slow or immobile buses far more often and for longer than they would ever accept in the suburbs.

It's not just north-south. In fact, the worst transit performance is getting around within, to, and from the eastern urban area or Greater Vanier.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 8:14 PM

Quote:

It's anti-urban.
We shouldn't keep bus lanes for the sake of bus lanes. The bridge is barely used by buses anymore, so why keep bus lanes that will nearly always be empty? At least they won't be handed over to cars, like what will undoubtedly happen on the 174.

I agree we need a discussion on improving urban transit, but the Albert-Slater were never an integral part of the urban network. They were designed for the suburban bus network. Stage 4 of the O-Train has to be improving transit in dense areas along Rideau-Montreal and Bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
I remember seeing renderings a few years ago where they had the bike lanes going down the middle of the bridge with planters along the sides. I liked that better but this is good too.
I figure the new configuration will better integrate with the Albert-Slater bike lanes, otherwise bike lanes would need to cross to the middle.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Stage 4 of the O-Train has to be improving transit in dense areas along Rideau-Montreal and Bank.
Spoiler alert: It won't be. And if we can't start making bus transit in the core better, we could at least stop making it worse. Or should, anyway.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 2:49 PM

Wonder how they will handle the newly available land east of the newly aligned Albert St. Could be a good place to squeeze in mid-rise affordable housing.

More density, better utilization of space (vs. empty grass patch) and helping animate the other side of Albert St (with the Library on the other side). Too many streets in that area with no frontage today. Makes for poor walking conditions.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 3:12 PM

The new space opening up is included in the mid phase of the Lebreton Master Plan.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 3:45 PM

Thanks! Looking at the website, it says "The NCC expects to release the next development phase of the Building LeBreton project, the Flats Phase, to the market in June 2022"

Looks like those would be F1, F2, F3 and F8 on Wellington bordering the War Museum - interesting...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Thanks! Looking at the website, it says "The NCC expects to release the next development phase of the Building LeBreton project, the Flats Phase, to the market in June 2022"
Should hopefully be in next weeks board meeting, aswell as an announcement on the arena parcel!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTeverywhere View Post
Should hopefully be in next weeks board meeting, aswell as an announcement on the arena parcel!
I will accept nothing less than Alfie hosting the board meeting and announcing the Sens new ownership group and move toe Lebreton

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 3:48 PM

Tech Park cliff at the edge of the Bronson Hill has been partially removed.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 5:33 PM

Reading my posts again from last year, they were supposed to release lots for redevelopment. I'm guessing that never happened?

I can't think of anything that's been released, proposed or approved other than the Dream lot at the corner of Albert & Booth.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Reading my posts again from last year, they were supposed to release lots for redevelopment. I'm guessing that never happened?

I can't think of anything that's been released, proposed or approved other than the Dream lot at the corner of Albert & Booth.
Nope, nothing. At the very least release the lot between Dream and the library. Have that entire block done by 2030.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 7:30 PM

Working at a snails pace, not adhering to timelines or phases it set out for itself, very little progress or development for Lebreton as a whole and the Sens/arena advancement is dragging out.

Typical Ottawa and typical NCC.. Not sure why I expected anything else. Hard to have faith sometimes.

How many years has the "new redevelopment of Lebreton Flatts" been going on now?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Working at a snails pace, not adhering to timelines or phases it set out for itself, very little progress or development for Lebreton as a whole and the Sens/arena advancement is dragging out.

Typical Ottawa and typical NCC.. Not sure why I expected anything else. Hard to have faith sometimes.

How many years has the "new redevelopment of Lebreton Flatts" been going on now?
Hopefully Dream can get shovels in the ground soon, the NCC has some good news about the Flats district this month and the Sens are sold to someone who wants to build an arena Downtown.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 4:18 PM

Not the best picture due to the glare, but it looks like they added a bike lane at the base of Moon, on the Albert side. Just one block for now (or half a block?), but once the Albert-Slater rebuild is over, it will be part of a greater network.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Not the best picture due to the glare, but it looks like they added a bike lane at the base of Moon, on the Albert side. Just one block for now (or half a block?), but once the Albert-Slater rebuild is over, it will be part of a greater network.
Unfortunately the bike lane starts right at the bus stops in front of Moon, so it's not super accessible for cyclists. Downtown is still pretty hostile everywhere north of Laurier, so hopefully they figure out how to connect these new lanes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation