HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 5:10 PM
Busy Beaver

Blech. Why does it have to be so visually heavy handed? I wish it were more graceful and open, I don't really care for it being roofed and glassed in when the rest of the pathway is open. This is going to be another ugly thing on the Queensway when it could be a more creative arched or cable-stayed structure. Does anyone else here read the Happy Pontist?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 5:25 PM

no but the name of that blog is making me happy!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 5:39 PM
Busy Beaver

Careful, it's addictive. You might overdose and get strung out, and end up depressed about the state of our bridges.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 5:43 PM

yeah, as will a visit to just about any other river city, too.

;-)

Just scrolling down to the second-to-latest post about the Golden Jubilee Bridges brought back lovely memories from a visit to London last fall. My son and I used the eastern span to cross the Thames a handful of times.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 6:10 PM
Busy Beaver

What's really depressing is that the Australians are capable of building a mind-boggling beauty like the Kurilpa Bridge and we are still stuck on clunky square glass boxes on crude concrete stilts.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 11:58 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjagger View Post
I don't remember seeing a rendering of the 417 crossing between the Train Station and Coventry anywhere. David S. McRobie Architects has some images on there website.

http://mcrobie.com/single-project/?project_id=194

Cheers,
Joshua

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 12:02 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Blech. Why does it have to be so visually heavy handed? I wish it were more graceful and open, I don't really care for it being roofed and glassed in when the rest of the pathway is open. This is going to be another ugly thing on the Queensway when it could be a more creative arched or cable-stayed structure. Does anyone else here read the Happy Pontist?
It looks to me like it might have been designed to be sympathetic to the roof structure of the Train Station itself:

http://goo.gl/maps/J220d

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 2:27 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
It looks to me like it might have been designed to be sympathetic to the roof structure of the Train Station itself:

http://goo.gl/maps/J220d
Which they shouldn't even try to emulate. There's a nice brute simplicity to the train station, the massive black truss roof seems suspended in mid-air because the supports are inset from the earthbound concrete elements. The building is a beautiful evolution of the principles of Prairie School architecture. That's why I really, really dislike the Transitway bridge when they built it because it is so disrespectful to the architecture, it looks like a piece of the roof fell off. I would have preferred if they had put something more transparent, or even the ugly red things they have elsewhere to differentiate itself from the building. I'm so glad they are off-setting the LRT station from the front of the building, it will de-clutter the facade.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbria27 View Post
Design concepts for Rideau Canal crossing at Clegg/Fifth are very promising:

http://www.emcottawasouth.ca/20120719/news

this bridge should be covered! like the Blair overpass for example.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 12:03 AM

Also what about the South Keys Airport Parkway pedestrian overpass, will they ever finish it?
This is another example of an overpass which is not covered.
Why not? It's not very pleasant to walk across such a bridge during a freezing rain storm.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 12:37 AM

It's not very pleasant to walk across such an anything during a freezing rain storm, but we don't plan our infrastructure for less than a half dozen crappy days a year; and thank goodness, or our sidewalks would be underground, or something! Not to suggest that downtown wouldn't have benefitted from more consistent application of arcade and awning policies over the years! But we have lots more hot and sunny days than cold and wet ones, and how pleasant is it to walk across something in a greenhouse?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc View Post
it's not very pleasant to walk across such an anything during a freezing rain storm, but we don't plan our infrastructure for less than a half dozen crappy days a year; and thank goodness, or our sidewalks would be underground, or something! Not to suggest that downtown wouldn't have benefitted from more consistent application of arcade and awning policies over the years! But we have lots more hot and sunny days than cold and wet ones, and how pleasant is it to walk across something in a greenhouse?
+1

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 9:43 PM
National Capital Region

south keys pedestrian bridge update
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/br...615/story.html

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 11:58 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Airport Parkway pedestrian bridge well overdue

Councillor demands answers

By Derek Spalding, OTTAWA CITIZEN July 16, 2013

Anyone involved with the botched construction of the Airport Parkway pedestrian bridge will be held accountable, said one city councillor who is clearly annoyed with the project’s delays.

River Ward Coun. Maria McRae issued a stern warning in an interview Tuesday, saying she will find out who is responsible for the problems with the $5-million bridge being built over the Airport Parkway just north of Hunt Club Road.

The bridge, which was expected to be open in May 2012, ran into problems last year when the tower on the east side of the parkway had to be torn down because the poured concrete was deemed unsafe. McRae said work is progressing and a new tower is nearly completed, but even she cannot get a projected date for when the pathway will be open.

“I’m going to do absolutely everything in my power to make sure that city staff, the designer and the contractor are held accountable for their roles and their legal responsibilities,” she said. “I’m looking for accountability for everybody who had an operational role with this bridge.”

When built, the bridge off Cahill Drive West is supposed to give a safe connection for cyclists and pedestrians between Hunt Club and places east of the parkway, including the South Keys shopping centre and Transitway stop. The tower, which will support the concrete deck of pathway, is designed to be a gateway to the city for people driving in from the Ottawa International Airport.

But last year, one month before the bridge was originally scheduled to open, the contractor Louis W. Bray Construction informed the city the tower had to be torn down because of an inefficiency with the concrete.

Since then, a new tower is nearly complete with work remaining to attach an anchorage, the concrete deck, and support cables. McRae said the work is about 75 per cent done, but she cannot get an answer about when the pathway will open.

“It’s exceedingly frustrating that city engineers will not provide that date, but given the problems the contractor had the first time, city staff want to be sure this bridge is built to the highest possible standard,” she said.

She continues to hear complaints from residents driving by the site because they are baffled by how long the project has taken. “I’m continually frustrated with the inordinate delays on this project and I share not only my residents’ concerns and their frustrations, but also the concerns and frustrations of the general public that are driving by that area,” she said. “The notion that it’s not built is beyond what people can contemplate. We may cut the ribbon on that bridge, but I’m still going to be pushing for accountability.”

McRae could not explain the precise reason for deficiency in the concrete, but said samples taken from the original tower led to some safety concerns.

dspalding@ottawacitizen.com

Twitter.com/Derek_Spalding
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ot...817/story.html

Last edited by rocketphish; Sep 26, 2013 at 11:20 PM. Reason: fixed URL

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 10:15 PM

still waiting for this bridge...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 1:18 AM

I haven't driven down that way in at least 4-6 weeks. How far along is the bridge now?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
I haven't driven down that way in at least 4-6 weeks. How far along is the bridge now?
Same as when you were last there... Almost no progress .

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 5:07 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

A bridge so far, but not very far

City staff mum on long-awaited, oft-delayed pedestrian overpass crossing Airport Parkway

By Kelly Egan, OTTAWA CITIZEN, October 1, 2013

Photo: Hunt Club Community Organization president John Sankey has been tracking the progress of construction of the Airport Parkway pedestrian overpass for at least two years now. It’s way behind schedule and he can’t get any answers from the city.

There was no one at the site Tuesday morning. Probably there is no one there Wednesday, a safe guess at the Bridge Over Troubled Waiting.

“There was nothing done, whatsoever, between November and May,” says John Sankey, a retired resident who has watched this spot like a hawk for a couple of years now.

The bicycle-pedestrian overpass crossing the Airport Parkway was supposed to join the populated part of Hunt Club to the retail and transit hub at South Keys. A highly useful idea. It was also to be a “gateway” for visitors heading into town from the airport, a cool design feature that would serve as an initial signature for a capital city striving to look modern.

Well, a little bridge is now an uncompleted saga. It is about two years behind the initial schedule, obviously over-budget, and the subject of ridiculous secrecy.

Even Coun. Maria McRae can’t seem to find out when the project, first budgeted at $5.3 million, is to be finished.

“I’ve been pushing staff to get a completion date, even a substantially complete date,” she said this week. “And until more cement is poured, they won’t tell me.”

This must be frustrating?

“Hah!” she responded. “If I could find a word that means uber-frustrated. I can’t begin to describe how frustrating it is.”

A brief timeline. It was conceived as early as 1994, approved by Ottawa council in January 2010, had a sod-turning in June 2011, had an optimistic completion date of November 2011, had the first attempt at a tower knocked down in May 2012, had the tower rebuilt by October 2012, and had the forms for the main deck done in summer 2013.

The ramps and pathways appear done, but the 120-metre long deck has yet to be poured, and the soaring support bars/cables been yet to be installed. (The tower is about 30 metres high and has a stylized version of Ottawa’s O logo in a cut-out.)

Hell has no fury like a retired man of science with time on his hands. Sankey, also president of the Hunt Club Community Organization, has kept a log and photo diary of the project, which is posted on the group’s website.

Hardly to be forgotten, too, is the death of Kenny Dagenais, 26, in October 2007 as he tried to cross the parkway at this spot, with its 80 km/h speed limit and a steady flow of racing drivers.

“Every time I walk down the street I get stopped by people asking, ‘What the blankety-blank is going on with the city?’ ” said Sankey. “We simply don’t know because nothing is happening. The city is compounding it by refusing, point blank, to tell anybody anything.”

The contractor is Louis W. Bray Construction. It referred questions to the city.

It was obvious early on that the concrete work on the first tower was a failure.

“I remember driving by in October 2011 and looking at the concrete and thinking ‘There’s something wrong with this.’ You could see it falling off some days,” said McRae.

There was delay, she said, while a third-party was brought in to examine what went wrong with the concrete job.

Sankey, who is familiar with construction work, guesses the first botched effort cost somebody more than $1 million.

The city generally writes contracts so they contain clauses that impose financial penalties on work that isn’t completed on time. It is believed such a clause is present in this case.

It would also be easy to believe there are lively, if not legal, discussions ongoing among Bray, the city, the bridge design company and the concrete supplier about how this financial mess is to be sorted out.

No one really wants to address the matter, but how else to explain the weeks of inactivity?

Sankey says little work has been done in the past year. He’s concerned Bray might have walked away from the job altogether.

McRae says she’s been told that a final engineering review is going on before the deck concrete is poured. A proper curing, estimated Sankey, will take about nine weeks.

In other words, it’s beginning to sound like the bridge won’t open in 2013. “We’re all just frustrated to the end of our teeth,” said Sankey.

McRae, meanwhile, is so frustrated she’s started to copy city manager Kent Kirkpatrick on any emails she’s getting from area residents.

Like this beauty, from constituent Christine McLaughlin:

“I have just waved goodbye to my family from the UK. This is their third visit in 2½ years and they are utterly astonished that in this time, the footbridge is still NOT finished. Needless to say, it is a running joke for all of us in the Plante/Cahill/Owl area.

“For God’s sake what are they building?? A new bridge over the English Channel??”

To contact Kelly Egan, please call 613-726-5896, or email kegan@ottawacitizen.com">kegan@ottawacitizen.com
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ot...154/story.html

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 10:01 PM

[QUOTE“I have just waved goodbye to my family from the UK. This is their third visit in 2½ years and they are utterly astonished that in this time, the footbridge is still NOT finished. Needless to say, it is a running joke for all of us in the Plante/Cahill/Owl area.

“For God’s sake what are they building?? A new bridge over the English Channel??”][/QUOTE]

It's a good thing the City of Ottawa wasn't running the British War Office way back when. London would be awash in swastikas right now.

I should point out that Gatineau - a Quebec city government - plus one of their infamous construction companies, managed to get a pedestrian bridge of similar length built across Hwy. 148 by Plateau in one third the time.

That's saying something. This, plus the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge, would make anyone question what's going on with the city.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 10:20 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
A bridge so far, but not very far

Photo: Hunt Club Community Organization president John Sankey has been tracking the progress of construction of the Airport Parkway pedestrian overpass for at least two years now. It’s way behind schedule and he can’t get any answers from the city.

Based on the photograph alone, he looks like one bad-ass community association president you wouldn't want to piss off.

Last edited by Ottawan; Oct 2, 2013 at 10:38 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation