HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 11:13 PM
I'm just joking.

^I think someone from the CBC is reading this forum...

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 3:53 PM

anyone have an idea where this petition mentioned in the CBC article can be found?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 9:51 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
anyone have an idea where this petition mentioned in the CBC article can be found?
http://www.cyclingvisionottawa.org/

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 10:18 PM
National Capital Region

Bixi

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 3:20 AM

While we're on the subject...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 6:16 AM

What's the deal with these things? How much do they cost? I see them in the market here whenever I leave the house.

edit - nevermind, I read back over posts I missed.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 3:25 AM
National Capital Region

here's our own version of the segregated lanes...

from daveherb flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveherb/3798660474/

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 2:54 AM
National Capital Region

Does anyone else find this sign a little silly... (just below the Hill)
source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/caglios...58708/sizes/m/

Of course it is important to slow down, not pass, etc in the tunnel, but most people can just duck! :p it's not that dangerous..
Maybe there is a reason, or is it just a liability thing... anyone know?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 3:10 AM
National Capital Region

Twinning crowded NCC pathways ‘the way to go,’ Dewar says
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/health/...591/story.html
No plans, at this time, to separate cyclists from slower moving traffic: commission

BY CASSANDRA DRUDI, THE OTTAWA CITIZENAUGUST 12, 2009 11:01 PM

OTTAWA-The NCC’s crowded recreational pathways should be twinned to separate faster-moving wheeled traffic from pedestrians, says Ottawa Centre NDP MP Paul Dewar.

“Clearly, this is the way to go,” he said in Wednesday. “Pedestrians do have concerns about bikes. And people who are travelling on the bike paths decide sometimes to go on the roadway.”

“We’re using our bike paths more and more, and we have to increase capacity, but we can’t forget about who uses it.”

Dewar, who held a cycling summit in May, released a report last week that recommended ways to improve cycling in the city of Ottawa. It proposed improvement in four main areas: treating cycling as an integral part of the city’s overall transit plan; educating cyclists and motorists; linking the suburbs to the core for cyclists; and maintaining cycling facilities year-round.

Concern about the use of the pathways, which have a suggested speed limit of 20 km/h, is bubbling to the surface during a summer in which cycling safety has been under scrutiny after the hit-and-run incident that injured five cyclists.

Pathway users of all stripes — from dog walkers to electric bike riders to cyclists — complain of others using the routes with a sense of entitlement.

“They built it, and they came, and now the traffic (on the pathways) is even higher,” said Charles Akben-Marchand, past president of Citizens for Safe Cycling. “It’s a bit of a lawless facility.”

Despite the idea that separating pathway users on wheels from those on foot could be a solution for pathway conflicts, the commission is not, at this time, considering twinning for its system of 180 kilometres of recreational pathways , said NCC director of urban lands and transportation Marc Corriveau.

“As long as we’ve had the recreational paths, they’ve been multi-use,” he said. “Since the 1980s, there’s not really been a need to do so (separate wheeled and pedestrian traffic).

“I don’t think the issue is so bad now you need to consider that.”

From 1998 to 2008, the number of trips taken on NCC pathways in each spring and summer soared to 31 million from 17 million, according to surveys conducted for the commission.

And as the number of users rose, so too did the percentage of cyclists: in 2008, cyclists accounted for 64 per cent of pathway users, up from 56 per cent in 1998. The percentage of pedestrians dropped slightly, to 24 per cent in 2008 from 30 per cent in 1998.

The NCC does not keep track of which pathways, or which areas of pathways, are the busiest, but experience suggests the pathways along both sides of the Rideau Canal, the pathways along the Ottawa River on both sides of the river, the Rideau River pathway and the Voyageur pathway are the most used, a spokesman for the commission said.

Ottawa is not without an example of what separate cycling and pedestrian facilities could look like. The Alexandra Bridge, which crosses the Ottawa River and joins Ottawa’s St. Patrick Street to Gatineau’s St. Laurent Boulevard, has a wide wooden footbridge on its west side, with two lanes marked for cyclists (one for bikes heading to Ottawa, the other for bikes heading to Gatineau) and the rest of the space left for pedestrians.

“I think it works very well on Alexandra Bridge,” Akben-Marchand said. “A segregated pathway system would have benefits.”

It costs about $220,000 to build a one kilometre stretch of the standard, three-metre wide pathway. Because of the way its budget is structured, the NCC does not keep track of how much it costs to maintain the pathways. But Vélo Québec, a non-profit organization that oversees the Route Verte, Quebec’s vast network of bicycle paths, pegs maintenance costs of one kilometre of pathway at $3,000 a year.

If the experience in other cities is anything to go by, separating cyclists from pedestrians can work quite successfully.

In Vancouver’s Stanley Park, cyclists and pedestrians on the Seawall path around the park clashed in the 1970s, until the pathway was widened to six metres to allow for separate lanes for cyclists (and other path users on wheels) and pedestrians. The cyclist portion of the pathway is one-way, while pedestrians can travel in both directions on their section.

“It’s much superior to having it mixed,” said Arno Schortinghuis, president of the Vancouver Area Cycling Coalition.

In busier sections of the Central Valley Greenway, another recreational pathway in the region, wheeled and foot users of the pathways are separated for a total distance of about two kilometres, Schoringhuis said.

In addition to separating traffic on pathways, the city of Vancouver also has separated areas for pedestrians, cyclists and vehicular traffic in some places.

On the Burrard Bridge that joins downtown Vancouver to Kitsilano, a three-month trial is under way that gives each roadway user an area on the previously hectic bridge. One lane of the six lanes on the roadway has been designated for cycling traffic headed south, and is separated from the road by a concrete barrier. One sidewalk is designated for pedestrians only; the other is for cyclists heading north. Previously, both sidewalks had been shared by pedestrians and cyclists.

“It’s just a joy to cycle across and to walk across,” Schoringhuis said. “Separate is ideal. There’s speed differentials between pedestrians and bicycles and bicycles and cars.”

In Calgary, with more than 600 kilometres of recreational pathways within its city limits, a pathway along the river splits into separate sections for wheeled users and walkers at certain sections along the Bow River for a total distance of about one kilometre, a city spokesman said.

Along Calgary’s pathways, the speed limit (20 km/h in most areas, although it drops down to 10 km/h in some) is enforced by bylaw officers.

cdrudi@thecitizen.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

I definitely agree with the idea of widening or twinning.... after cycling and walking in other cities with wide multi-use paths Ottawa's can seem almost dangerous.. especially when they wind a bit. They are also not very good for going at a decent speed on a bike since it would be dangerous for pedestrians (that's why you will see cyclists on the parkways). But even when cycling at a slow pace or walking along the canal, I find the paths too narrow for the traffic and the amount and variety of different users.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 3:16 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Does anyone else find this sign a little silly... (just below the Hill)
source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/caglios...58708/sizes/m/

Of course it is important to slow down, not pass, etc in the tunnel, but most people can just duck! :p it's not that dangerous..
Maybe there is a reason, or is it just a liability thing... anyone know?
Of all the times I've gone through that tunnel, I've never seen anyone dismount and walk through it. In fact, it seems like it would be MORE dangerous to do this.

Reminds me of the stop signs that cyclists blow through..

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 12:11 AM
Awesome!

Hum maybe the Citizen should have done the same on roadways, they will realize that speeding motorists is the problem in this city - and the city doesn't help with those ridiculously high speed limits. Definitely a dangerous city to bike not to mention those ridiculous crackdown lately. Sure, some cyclists might not obey the law but motorists are a much bigger problem. Pedestrians also can be problematic in the city core and also in the bike paths - some leaving there dogs loose and even biking slowly you always have to watch for small kids that can suddenly veer into the path. Several years, well I was going at low speed at a park pathway, a kid with a bike veered and the collision was inevitable - luckily at less then 10 km/h.

Quote:
Different speeds, different views

By Brendan Kennedy, The Ottawa CitizenAugust 14, 2009Comments (63)

People of all types use the NCC recreation path along the Ottawa River in the summer. The radar gun shows the speed of a cyclist going 28km/hour.

OTTAWA — The Citizen took to Ottawa’s cycling pathways Thursday afternoon armed with a radar gun to gauge the speeds of the city’s various walkers, runners and riders. We wanted to find out how many were obeying the unenforced 20 km/h speed limit and ask them how they think the pathways could be improved.

Stationed where the Ottawa River Pathway meets the Voyageurs Pathway, near the Champlain Bridge at Island Park Drive, the Citizen clocked a mother pushing her two-month-old daughter in a stroller at 3 km/h, a self-proclaimed cycling speedster at 36 km/h and everyone else somewhere in between.

Just about every cyclist who looked like they had somewhere to go was traveling more than 20 km/h. Only the cyclists who were clearly on a leisure ride were registering under the posted speed limit, and the cycling commuters wearing performance clothing were usually up around 30 km/h. Rollerbladers typically fell between 10 and 15 km/h, with joggers and walkers behind them.

Those interviewed by the Citizen couldn’t agree on the best ways to improve the pathways to accommodate increased traffic, but everyone said the most important way to avoid conflicts was by practicing common sense and a little courtesy.

Chris Hebert, who commutes from Aylmer to his construction job in Ottawa every day, registered the fastest speed of the day at 36 km/h — on a mountain bike.

“I personally think there should be three lanes,” he said, adding that he usually travels about 35 km/h and gets annoyed when walkers take up more than a single lane.

“If you’re slow and you don’t get outta my way, I’ll zoom right past you,” he said, laughing.

Hebert’s biggest pet peeve with the pathway is that the NCC doesn’t plow it in the winter, because he cycles every day, year-round. "Rain or shine," he said.

We clocked Bill Juillette, who commutes from his home in Westboro to his job in Sandy Hill every weekday, just under 30 km/h, a speed he says he generally travels whenever he’s on the pathway.

“I’ve never felt impeded,” Juillette said, but added that he would like to see walkers use the grass rather than the pathways. “These are paved for cyclists.”

He said the best way to avoid conflicts is through politeness and courtesy, and he doesn’t want to see another lane for slower-moving traffic.

“The last thing we need is more construction,” he said.

Danielle Fremes was pushing her two-month-old daughter, Allison, in a stroller around 2:30 p.m. She was traveling about 3 km/h, but she said even when she walks the path during busier times, she’s never had any trouble with cyclists.

“There’s a great deal of respect on this pathway,” she said.

Andrew Skafel, a jogger we clocked at 9 km/h, said he wouldn’t mind some soft gravel on the sides of the pathway to make it easier for runners. But he doesn’t want to see any twinning or widening of the path.

“I kind of like it small,” he said. “It keeps it natural.”

Robert and Sharon Singleton, from the Carp area, happened to be downtown Thursday afternoon, so they decided to go for a stroll along the pathway. At 4 km/h, they were going slow enough that we could stroll along with them.

Robert said he thought a third lane for slower traffic would be “overkill.”

“I see enough space for everyone,” he said. “As long as everybody uses a little common sense.”

Jim Elder, who has been using the pathways as both a runner and a commuting cyclist on and off since 1981, says the NCC — who makes clear on its website the pathways are for recreational use — should just accept that people are using the paths to commute and increase the speed limit to 30 km/h.

“I think that’s a reasonable, normal speed for a commuting bicycler,” he said. “They may call them recreational pathways, and that may be their intention, but that’s not how they’re being used.”

He said he’s never felt threatened as a runner by speeding cyclists, and there is no need for additional lanes as long as people are courteous when passing.

He said he likes the pathways when they’re busier — “I think it’s kind of social” — and the city should be encouraging even more commuting by bicycle.

“Facilities like this make Ottawa a great place to live,” he said.
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
“These are paved for cyclists.”
Lol... The number one rule of the pathways is... yeild to pedestrians.

I walk and bike on the pathways quite a bit. My pet peeve has always been cyclists that expect pedestrians to move onto the grass so they can pass. I always stay in my lane when I am walking. If someone happens to be walking by me in the opposing lane, while a cyclist is trying to pass, I simply remain in my lane.

In my opinion, the cyclist should slow down. If they cannot do that, they can go off the path to pass me. In any event dinging a bell over and over is not gonna make me move. I feel doing so would put me in danger (I move and the cyclist hits me trying to go around).

Quote:
Small kids that can suddenly veer into the path
Cyclists should keep this in mind when they approach pedestrians (or anyone for that matter). You never know when you might hurt someone. A lady I work with came back from lunch one day all bloodied up. A cyclist had hit her on the pathway near Riverrain park. She was hurt so bad that she had to go to the hospital (broken jaw, road rash). Had she been a little kid, I suspect it would have been much worse.

This in the news yesterday.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/stor...eau-canal.html

Reading it makes me think the NCC should consider putting up a few street lights.

Last edited by Yroc; Aug 15, 2009 at 1:37 AM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 2:24 AM
Awesome!

I think it is time to complete that gap of the Ottawa River Pathway between the National Arts Gallery and Rockcliffe Park to avoid Sussex Drive and the heavy traffic though it might be difficult in part because of the PM residence and other factors.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 3:00 AM
Busy Beaver

There will be bike lanes on Sussex between the Mint and the Rideau River bridges when they redo that section in the near future.

However, they should extend the pathway from the Ottawa Locks around Nepean Point to connect with Lady Grey drive (which I call Ottawa's forgotten parkway) leading up to the overpass at the Macdonald Cartier bridge. That overpass is wide enough to accommodate a pathway on the north side, seeing that the roadway is actually narrowed using painted lines today. The pathway could then continue in front of Earnscliffe (the British High Commissioner's residence) and then behind the NRC headquarters to the Rideau Falls footbridges.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 2:40 PM

Getting around the National Gallery will be the trick, although I agree that it should be done. I think a structure could be built out from the corner of the building. This would allow everyone to walk or cycle along the river. Maybe if the river is designated as 'Heritage' the NCC will work on such a path.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 4:11 PM
Busy Beaver

I don't think it would be that difficult. They could do a pathway-on-stilts anchored to the escarpment, much like what was done behind the convent north of Jacques Cartier Park across the river. It would sneak under the Alexandra bridge and behind the Gallery

The rest of Sussex could be avoided like this:

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 2:20 AM

At the same time, they should consider doing the pathway on the west side of the Rideau River connecting it up to Strathcona park.

Then from Ottawa U (Lees campus) going to toward Carleton U (path is there, just needs for the most part to become "official".

Also this is a must see:

http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/163...+Bike+Storage/

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 3:23 PM
I'm just joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yroc View Post
At the same time, they should consider doing the pathway on the west side of the Rideau River connecting it up to Strathcona park.
There already is one, and its paved. (From Strathcona Park - Lees Campus anyway)

As for north of Scrathcona Park, you have to go through the Russians and the Chinese for that path to happen.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 10:06 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
I think it is time to complete that gap of the Ottawa River Pathway between the National Arts Gallery and Rockcliffe Park to avoid Sussex Drive and the heavy traffic though it might be difficult in part because of the PM residence and other factors.
It would be nice, but I also don't think it would necessarily have prevented the fatality on Sussex in front of Foreign Affairs either. Routes like the one suggested by Kichissippi would add extra turns and much extra distance to the route, thereby taking longer. Also not knowing the victim's origin nor destination, it's impossible to say whether it would have been of help anyway, especially since she was coming up that odd diagonal 'path'/sidewalk in the southeast quadrant of the Sussex/King Edward crossing. She apparently went onto the road at the end of that path, but there is no curb cut there. The lack of a curb cut means that by sheer necessity her attention would be diverted from the road to getting down off the curb (these stupid chicanes used in some places to try to force cyclists to dismount suffer from the same problem, but by deliberate design, because if a chicane is to be navigable by a wheelchair then it can be navigated by a reasonably-skilled cyclist as well - at the expense of not paying attention to the road beyond). If that path is indeed intended for cyclist use, then its poor terminus goes to show the problems created by not thinking through how pathways and roads interface, which is an all too common problem given the number than end illegally in pedestrian crosswalks.

Having cycled though that part of Sussex on a few occasions, I can say it is a challenge to navigate, but I don't know if those challenges are directly related to the collision or not. The basic problems there are that it is a shared bus/bike lane and furthermore that it is a forced right-turn onto the access ramp to the MacDonald-Cartier Bridge. Choosing what to do in a shared bus lane is a problem at the best of times, but the forced right-turn further introduces a requirement to transition across at some point to the left side of the lane.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 11:52 PM

Russia and China are far away.

Does anyone own the shoreline?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation