HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Yeah didn't it take like 10 years to change the Ottawa/Hull signs?
Yet they had the Montreal signs up for 40 years before the highway ever got to the Montreal area (via A15).

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 5:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
LeDroit going all out calling it Autoroute Guy Lafleur.

]
The map in the graphic still has the old name: "Autoroute de l'Outaouais".

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 5:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
But hasn't the A-50 been officially renamed Autoroute Guy-Lafleur? Am I missing something?
Yes. Signs have been changed along the route and Google Maps now reflects the new name.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 5:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
It has. Just didn't think the transition to adopt the new name would be that fast. They could keep calling it A50.
Both names are still correct. Though I have noticed some Gatineau traffic reporters referring to "Autoroute Guy-Lafleur".

Which is odd because you never hear people (either on the radio or in conversations) referring to the A5 by its name: "Autoroute de la Gatineau".

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 5:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

My preference is to stick to the rail corridor, with MUP. Keep tracks where they are (why add extra cost to move them if it's not necessary?)

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/a...IO7GVEGJJXO5U/
I bet dollars to donuts it follows the rail corridor.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2023, 7:16 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

According to the STO website, Rapibus service to the new Lorrain station will begin on August 28th.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2023, 5:21 PM

Quote:
According to the STO website, Rapibus service to the new Lorrain station will begin on August 28th.
Just Lorrain? Or is Lac-Beauchamp entering service, too?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2023, 5:44 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Just Lorrain? Or is Lac-Beauchamp entering service, too?
I'm not sure. There's no indication on the STO website that Lac-Beauchamp is ready to go yet. I only saw reference to Lorrain.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2023, 5:53 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure. There's no indication on the STO website that Lac-Beauchamp is ready to go yet. I only saw reference to Lorrain.
It's shown on the map, but nothing in the block text, so, yeah, I am confused.

Also very glad that SOMEONE WHO ISN'T ME walked the rail line from Labrosse a couple times before the Rapibus extension.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 6:01 PM

Quote:
France Bélisle
@BelisleFrance

Voilà! Le prolongement du corridor Rapibus, entre boul. Labrosse/Lorrain est inauguré ! Un projet structurant de transport collectif vers l’Est. Merci Qc
@GGuilbaultCAQ

1:03 PM · Aug 25, 2023
https://twitter.com/BelisleFrance/st...755920268?s=20

And from Julien on Rail Fans Discord, station Lac Beauchamp.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 6:23 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
And from Julien on Rail Fans Discord, station Lac Beauchamp.
Wow, Lac Beauchamp station progressed quickly. Here's what it looked like a year-and-a-bit ago (April 15, 2022, photo by me):

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 7:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I wonder why they seem to have built Lorrain as a terminus station as opposed to a drive-through station if it's likely that the Rapibus will be extended eastwards again in a few years.

The way it's built now they'll probably need two new buildings (one each for eastbound and westbound buses in the Rapibus corridor), or buses will have to do an OC Transpo-style routing all the way around the station before continuing in the corridor. It makes no sense.

At the very least they could have easily made the first station building useable in a drive-through configuration for westbound buses, and just added an eastbound structure in the future.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 9:05 PM

Quote:

Lol a basic bus shelter provides way more protection then what they've built here for a Rapid Transit station. I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. I totally get that this station will probably only be used in the summer and only to access the lake but still I've seen bus stop on a local road providing more shelter to passenger than this.

I dont even see a place to sit.

This would've been better

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 8:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Bike tour of the new Rapibus segment and stations:

https://www.facebook.com/1682755868/...78140168908150

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
Lol a basic bus shelter provides way more protection then what they've built here for a Rapid Transit station. I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. I totally get that this station will probably only be used in the summer and only to access the lake but still I've seen bus stop on a local road providing more shelter to passenger than this.

I dont even see a place to sit.
Not place to sit. That's a good point. No bike racks either. One platform doesn't even have a canopy, unless you count that one square meter cover.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:41 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Time to crack down on Ontario licence plates, STO says
Gatineau, Que., considering new licence renewal fee to help fund transit

CBC News
Posted: Apr 26, 2024 4:00 AM EDT | Last Updated: 6 hours ago

The revenue-starved bus network in Gatineau, Que., is calling for a crackdown on residents who keep their Ontario licence plates instead of paying renewal fees in Quebec that support transit.

On Thursday, the board of directors for the Société de transport de l'Outaouais (STO) put forward a resolution that the agency and city join forces to pressure governments on the problem.

"I think it's a question of fairness toward the citizens of Gatineau," said Manoir-des-Trembles–Val-Tétreau Coun. Jocelyn Blondin, president of the STO's board.

The resolution comes in the wake of new powers granted to cities by the Quebec government allowing them to levy an extra tax on licence plate renewals to help fund public transit.

In Gatineau, proposed new fees starting in January 2025 could inject $15 million into the transit system, which has seen ridership and fare revenue plummet since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.

If residents keep Ontario plates, the STO will miss out on a "significant source of income," Blondin told Radio-Canada in French.

"We also want citizens to comply. They live in Quebec, they benefit from services in Quebec, they benefit from the roads, they benefit from public transportation," he said.

"So they must also do their part to pay for everything they use."

The Ontario government scrapped many licence plate renewal fees in 2022.

It was billed by Premier Doug Ford as a way to help Ontarians deal with the rising cost of living, even though the decision meant the province would lose roughly $1 billion each year in revenue.

Quebec requires road vehicle owners who moves to the province to request registration with the Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ) within 90 days.

Blondin said he's heard from an increasing number of Gatineau residents irritated by the number of Ontario plates on the city's streets.

The province and the SAAQ should act as quickly as possible to come up with a plan to address the situation, he said.

One idea, Blondin said, could be a "special squad" that investigates complaints about licence plates through the city's 311 service.

"Citizens are frustrated, are shocked to see that … their neighbours are registered in Ontario, and that they use public transportation, the services of the City of Gatineau — and they do not pay their share."

With files from Radio-Canada's Benjamin Vachet

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ence-1.7185192

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:29 PM

Probably doesn't help now that Doug has made Ontario license plates free and auto renewable while Quebec has made the process even more painful with the poorly managed SAAQ Clic.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Probably doesn't help now that Doug has made Ontario license plates free and auto renewable while Quebec has made the process even more painful with the poorly managed SAAQ Clic.
SAAQ Clic works great now, it's way better than the old terrible system.

I assume most people are keeping their official address in Ontario to pay less taxes, the car is just a side effect of that.

You save on yearly renewal fees on both the car and the license by keeping your address in Ontario, but then you lose out on lower insurance. So imo it's either to avoid the hassle or to pay less taxes.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't insurance be much more expensive more than making up for any savings? Nevermind if your car gets stolen in Quebec your insurance may not pay if they can prove you live there. This whole claim seems suspect. I think people pretend to live in Ontario for income tax reasons not plate fees.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation