HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 7:18 PM

Earl Grey Drive Extension Project

From the linked article:

Quote:
An old roadway design is seeing new light in Kanata. Despite being delayed for almost 30 years, an underpass under Terry Fox Drive at Earl Grey Drive is proposed to be built this year. The funding is secured and construction is soon to be underway. Although it is a very large-budget project – one of the largest on the books for this year – there was very little information shared that would justify the project’s cost. We think the public consultation process is a very important step in the modification of our public infrastructure, so we took it upon ourselves to shed some light into the project. This blog post will discuss the background of the project, the budget, the proposed design, and finally our view on it.
Any insight on this? Seems like crappy old fashioned road-centric thinking appropriate for somewhere as awful as Kanata Centrum. I did not see anything posted about this elsewhere. If it's a duplicate, sorry.

https://bikeottawa.ca/2024/03/04/ear...-it-worth-20m/

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
Seems like crappy old fashioned road-centric thinking appropriate for somewhere as awful as Kanata Centrum.
What makes Centrum so awful is the traffic. What kills me is the plan is 29 years old.

I always wondered why the dead end next to Montana's..... now I know. a 29 year old "plan".

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 8:08 PM

A visual of how it will connect.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 8:13 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I wonder whether it’s a tacit admission that Campeau Drive can’t be widened…

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
A visual of how it will connect.

The article contains this:

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 8:32 PM

Ahh I didn't open the article. I saw this in the news a couple of days ago and had the screenshot saved on my phone from a discussion I had with a friend.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 9:01 PM

Such a stupid and unnecessary project at a time where the city its scraping whatever pennies it can away from other budgets.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTcrawler View Post
Such a stupid and unnecessary project at a time where the city its scraping whatever pennies it can away from other budgets.
... unless Costco is relocating to that big empty lot behind Crappy Tire with a gas bar, in which case this project would be an absolute necessity.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
... unless Costco is relocating to that big empty lot behind Crappy Tire with a gas bar, in which case this project would be an absolute necessity.
If costco wants to do that, costco can pay for the underpass. or better yet they can pay cops' OT to direct traffic.

Transit is spiralling out of control, we can't figure out how to keep bridges open in the winter, sidewalks and roads are crumbling, there's a housing crisis... but heaven forbid people have to wait in traffic to get to one out of six costcos in the region.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 11:02 AM

From the report, justification is to:
As identified within the City’s Transportation Master Plan, the Earl Grey Drive Extension
Project will improve traffic flow in the Kanata Centrum area and will greatly improve bus
service by providing a more direct route to and from Terry Fox Station.

So if it's actually about transit.....what is it linking to Terry Fox by going in that direction?

In the motion, it includes lands the city will expropriate. A map certainly would have been handy!

https://imgur.com/gallery/6pUmUEI

https://i.imgur.com/XFMUwdd.jpeg

Last edited by Ottawacurious; Mar 23, 2024 at 11:40 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 11:08 AM

Quote:
There's always money for road projects, especially if they help big box stores. If you want to stop this, tell them buses or pedestrians might use this.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
There's always money for road projects, especially if they help big box stores. If you want to stop this, tell them buses or pedestrians might use this.
Crazy to think that we built dozens of O-Train stations where it actually rains and snows on the damn platform, just so we could have enough money to save suburbanites from having to wait at a red light for too long.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 12:03 PM

Here's an idea: an intersection. The off ramp intersection is a bit close, so re-configure the highway ramps to reduce the amount of space it uses. Bonus, more space for housing!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawacurious View Post
So if it's actually about transit.....what is it linking to Terry Fox by going in that direction?
The only bus route I can think of that would potentially benefit from this is route 404 for CTC game day & event service. Instead of serving Terry Fox station and then taking Lord Byng, left onto Kanata Ave., left onto Campeau, and finally left onto Terry Fox SB, the new underpass would open up the possibility of buses serving Terry Fox station then continuing WB on Roland Michener, left onto Earl Grey and underneath Terry Fox, then right on Didsbury and right onto Terry Fox SB.

There’s also the possibility of having route 88 (future route 68) take the above routing to get onto Terry Fox instead of taking Kanata Ave SB and Katimavik Rd. WB, though that would be a boneheaded move as you’d abandon service to a residential area in favour of a highway interchange.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Crazy to think that we built dozens of O-Train stations where it actually rains and snows on the damn platform, just so we could have enough money to save suburbanites from having to wait at a red light for too long.
There were no suburbanites clamouring for this afaik. Be nice to have an LRT station though...where dat?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperaccount View Post
There were no suburbanites clamouring for this afaik. Be nice to have an LRT station though...where dat?
I mean I hear suburbanites clamouring day in and day out, both on this forum and elsewhere, about how bad traffic in (insert X suburb) is getting and that (insert X road) needs another lane.

O-Train station... maybe when suburbanites learn that tax cuts and transit investment don't mix.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation