HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Cincinnati has over 8 million in reach of an 100 mile radius. Columbus,Lousiville, Indianapolis, Dayton and all the little towns inbetween.
You are right. I analyzed the Top 15 MSAs in Population and their proximity to other metropolitan areas as defined by the US Census (366 of them). If I were to expand it to the Top 25 MSAs in population - Cincincinati would be included and would surpass some MSAs that are bigger than it based on the 100 mile radius proximity. I only included Charlotte for this discussion.

If just looking at a city that has the most population within 100 miles of it, the city maybe located somewhere between Philadelphia and Baltimore - a city like Wilmington, Delaware because it would include places like New York, Philly, Baltimore and DC.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I don't bother with scientific reasons to rank cities - so overall population, industry rankings, college enrollments, sports teams, Fortune 500 lists, etc don't matter to me.

Here is how I determine if a city is big time or not:

1. How often is the city mentioned in movies, tv, rap videos or house DJ shout outs?

2. How often are that city's residents' picked to participate in a reality TV show?
a. If the contestant is later found to live in a very distant town that is barely considered a suburb, it COULD gain extra points because that person would rather be associated with it then their home town. But only if they aren't a tool.
b. If the contestant is compelled to name the STATE right after saying the city name for fear of people not knowing where they are talking about it LOSES points. No one says "Georgia" or "Florida" any more after saying Atlanta or Miami.

3. If while watching a nationwide weather report like on the The Weather Channel or the TODAY show, the city is actually shown on the big national map.
a. A few points can be awarded if the city shows up after a regional zoom in.
b. Several points deducted if it doesn't show up after a state zoom in.

4. If a natural disaster occurs in, or fatal shooting of a dozen or so people, or a tremendous accident happens and national news crews are sent in - do the networks send their A reporters, or do they only mention it in passing using some junior grade flunky to report on it?

BONUS: If the city has a cool nickname that people outside of that state actually recognize. Compare and contrast: "The Big Easy" to "The Salty 'Ham" or "The Magic City."

Using that scale we can precisely deduce that:

1(tie). Atlanta
Miami
3. New Orleans
4(tie). Nashville
Orlando
6. Charlotte
7. Memphis
8. Tampa
9. Birmingham

Here is a list of also rans, including a few that many would say are bigger, better and brighter then my home of Birmingham but because of my air-tight ranking system have no juice:

1. Raleigh
B. Greensboro
#. Louisville
pi. Jacksonville
?. Jackson, MS
>. Little Rock, AR
". And that city I forgot that someone will come along and say, "HOW COULD YOU FORGET X??!!!111"
So "rap videos" is a factor in determining what makes a big city?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 8:16 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor View Post
So "rap videos" is a factor in determining what makes a big city?
****WHOOOOOSHHHHHH!!!!****

Do you know what that sound is?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 11:28 PM

According to the 2010 census Charlotte has a city population of 731,000 and a MSA population greater than Va Beach, Va.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 8:07 PM

Within 100 miles of city core:

Atlanta- 7.6 million
Charlotte- 7.1 million
Miami- 5.9 million
Memphis- 2.6 million

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 3:11 AM
surely you're not serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor View Post
Within 100 miles of city core:

Atlanta- 7.6 million
Charlotte- 7.1 million
Miami- 5.9 million
Memphis- 2.6 million
For fun, I'll throw this is here because it's (within 100 mi) such a random stat:

Mobile- 2.2 million

MOB and Miami both get shorted because of the proximity of the Gulf and the Atlantic

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 8:56 PM

Texas city's have as much right to be listed as Louisiana or Arkansas city's do. If you're trying to list southeast city's Louisiana and Arkansas shouldnt be listed either because like Texas, they're South central states.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 10:54 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adplayer View Post
Texas city's have as much right to be listed as Louisiana or Arkansas city's do. If you're trying to list southeast city's Louisiana and Arkansas shouldnt be listed either because like Texas, they're South central states.
Except for the fact that there is a Texas sub-forum right?

New Orleans, Baton Rouge, & most of Arkansas is considered "Southern" to most, and has little to do with Texas and south-central.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Here is a list of also rans, including a few that many would say are bigger, better and brighter then my home of Birmingham but because of my air-tight ranking system have no juice:

?. Jackson, MS
>. Little Rock, AR
". And that city I forgot that someone will come along and say, "HOW COULD YOU FORGET X??!!!111"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port_of_Bama View Post
Even without your air-tight ranking system I don`t think those two could swing the same bat as Birmingham.lol
One thing that Little Rock does have an edge over the Ham is in the music scene. Watch the documentary Towncraft. I only wish Birmingham scene had half the ambition Little Rock artist had and have.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 10:46 PM

How do Arkansas and Louisiana have nothing to do with Texas? Almost 90 percent of Texas shares the exact same climate and geography of Louisiana and arkansas, and according to the U.S. Census Texas is and always has been grouped as the south. Along with Oklahoma, not to mention historically it was a confederate state before quite a few south eastern states and is one of the few states that was considered a "deep south" and "cotton state".

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad0022 View Post
One thing that Little Rock does have an edge over the Ham is in the music scene. Watch the documentary Towncraft. I only wish Birmingham scene had half the ambition Little Rock artist had and have.
This just doesn't sound right. I would've never thunk this.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 6:35 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adplayer View Post
How do Arkansas and Louisiana have nothing to do with Texas? Almost 90 percent of Texas shares the exact same climate and geography of Louisiana and arkansas, and according to the U.S. Census Texas is and always has been grouped as the south. Along with Oklahoma, not to mention historically it was a confederate state before quite a few south eastern states and is one of the few states that was considered a "deep south" and "cotton state".
90 percent of Texas is a huge area, and is a large enough area of it to make that statement not completely accurate. I doubt very much that West Texas, South Texas or even North Texas have all that much in common climate wise with Louisiana. Louisiana gets several feet of rain in some areas every year while West Texas is lucky to get a few inches a year. Even the split from East Texas and West Texas is notable - 8.8 inches of rain in El Paso every year to Houston's 58 inches. And it'll never be as humid in West Texas as it is in Louisiana. The two have vastly different climates despite being so near each other.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 10:40 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

East of I-45, yeah obviously. Then there might be some scattered pockets that could be historically considered southern because they had cotton and slaves and were being populated by whites from places like Tennessee by the middle of the 1800s. But that's hardly 90 percent. More like less than a quarter.

A lot of the state has more native hispanics and white people with german or eastern european rather than anglo ancestry, and was established later in the 1800s.

I dunno, things started to diverge when early 1900s oil riches caused the economy in Texas to grow while places like the deep south were poor.

Last edited by llamaorama; Jul 3, 2011 at 10:56 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2011, 4:16 PM

You are correct after spending a little time researching after the argument I realized that only the area east of I-35 is southern and west is obviously south western..in total true southern Texas (east of I-35) is humid subtropical climate like Louisiana and Arkansas, witch is only an area about the size of Georgia due too Texas massive size it can be it's own region.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 6:39 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

saint louis is the largest city in the south. WE ARE FIGHTERS.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 6:43 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Hell and gone; oh, Tejas. St. Louis built tejas.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 6:17 PM

Although I like St. Louis I'm pretty sure Missouri is more mid-western than southern, oh and st. Louis isn't as big as Houston or Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 10:40 PM
Future God

Lmao...I got bored and ventured into this part of the forum for the first time in awhile. Gotta say, this is a pretty freaking bizarre thread. If you want population figures why don't you just go look them up? How has this thread lasted five pages? A bunch of people just making up their own lists, expanding the metro borders of their own metros slightly to include random towns that have little to do with their own cities, just so they can place their town one notch further up on their list. Does that make people feel better about their own cities or something? I'm confused.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Lmao...I got bored and ventured into this part of the forum for the first time in awhile. Gotta say, this is a pretty freaking bizarre thread. If you want population figures why don't you just go look them up? How has this thread lasted five pages? A bunch of people just making up their own lists, expanding the metro borders of their own metros slightly to include random towns that have little to do with their own cities, just so they can place their town one notch further up on their list. Does that make people feel better about their own cities or something? I'm confused.
Agreed

This thread is going nowhere.

And let me throw in there (it may be understood, but I haven't seen it mentioned) that Louisville's population is overblown due to the city and county merging governments in 2003. The county's population is 741,000. The city proper, if I had to guess based on previous figures, is around 260,000.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 2:34 AM

edit

Last edited by RichmondVA; Jul 2, 2017 at 5:13 PM. Reason: delete

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast