HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 7:02 PM
Meh

thager, I'm sorry to hear about Salem. I know how that goes. One of our cats (Jodie) passed away back in July. And he was young, not even 2 years old.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 12:42 AM
Posh

Another hilarious cat video:
http://wimp.com/inefficientdrinker

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 1:45 AM
Environmental Sabotage

^ Damn, somebody needs to teach that cat how to drink.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 2:39 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Must be easy to give that cat a bath, though!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thager View Post
this is salem she passed away yesterday dec 5 2009
I am so sorry to hear about that. What a beauty!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 10:14 PM
I am a typical

Lukta doesn't seem to respond to cat nip.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2009, 3:06 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
this is salem she passed away yesterday dec 5 2009
Aw...

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 5:40 AM
Meh

So my family thought I was nuts for picking up that cat from down the street and bringing him home. Now they're in love with him and I'm sure he's one of the sweetest cats I've ever seen. My sister even went back down there tonight and adopted his litter mate (brother). Her cat is similar in color, but has some white on his face and chest, and is chubbier. And yes, he's sweet too.

I'm still not sure what to call him though. I thought of naming him Spot (Star Trek fans will get that).

I fell asleep in the chair last week one night with 4 dogs piled on top of me, plus the cat. Yes, they all get along.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 6:31 AM

thanks guys, i think in the new year well look at getting another cat.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 5:02 AM
Closed account

Every night when I go through SSP, I'm in my recliner with 2-3 of my cats in the recliner with me. Right now, Max (my Siamese tabby mix) is on my left, and I have my arm around him. His head is on my shoulder and he's snoring. Poor kitty...he is in kidney failure but is doing pretty well with the fluid injections. He's only 9.

Dusty in playing like a statue on the right armrest of the recliner. She will sit there for an hour without moving.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 6:01 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
So my family thought I was nuts for picking up that cat from down the street and bringing him home. Now they're in love with him and I'm sure he's one of the sweetest cats I've ever seen. My sister even went back down there tonight and adopted his litter mate (brother). Her cat is similar in color, but has some white on his face and chest, and is chubbier. And yes, he's sweet too.

I'm still not sure what to call him though. I thought of naming him Spot (Star Trek fans will get that).

I fell asleep in the chair last week one night with 4 dogs piled on top of me, plus the cat. Yes, they all get along.
Ok LOL So now that I've gotten my new cat and he's won over the hearts of my mom and sister, not only did my sister adopt his brother, but now my sister in law decided to adopt his other brother. So yeah, I went back down there tonight with my sister in law and she adopted his brother. So now we have all three litter mates. Our neighbor was fine with it. She said as long as they're going to good homes, that's all she cares about. She said the cat was depressed about his litter mates disappearing and was actually not eating as much. They're better off this way, they had been living outside and fighting off other neighborhood cats for their food. In fact, as we walked up to see our neighbor, she was running off another cat as she was about to feed the cat.

Also, I'm thinking of naming my cat Butters.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 9:06 AM
portuglês

Butters is an awesome name for a cat! A friend of mine named hers Crouton. It's the cutest name for the sweetest cat.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 3:58 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashyenka View Post
Butters is an awesome name for a cat! A friend of mine named hers Crouton. It's the cutest name for the sweetest cat.
At the shelter where I volunteer, we have a kitty named Hypotenuse!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 8:43 AM
Meh

Those are awesome names. I was also thinking of naming him Verne, because my other cat's name is Jules. I also like the name Julius, but that's too close to Jules.

Anyway, I've given him three baths already since I've had him. He gets stinky from his litter box and hasn't quite figured it out yet that he's not supposed to pee in his kennel. He has this thing about either getting on the computer desk or in my lap and just rubbing his head and face all over my face. He also has this thing about putting his foot on my face. I swear, he's the sweetest cat ever. So I've been giving him baths whenever he's smelly. He's never thrilled about it, but is generally good for me. I gave him a bath the other night and he had steam coming off him. He looked funny.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
thanks guys, i think in the new year well look at getting another cat.
Good idea!

We lost a cat after almost 19 years and I thought I could never have another one like her. Well, we got 2 now (Chloe and Kramer) and needless to say that while they are not like her, each one is a wonderful little animal and I am very glad to have them. Still miss patches though!

I am sure it will be the same for you.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2009, 6:18 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 6:50 PM
not a NIMBY

Taz will be 10 years old on January 1

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 10:28 PM
I am a typical

Old Posted Jan 2, 2010, 2:29 AM
Posh

Check this out:
Video Link

For a little over a month I have been feeding my cat a diet consisting of about half raw meat (and about 1/4 dry cat food and 1/4 wet cat food). Around Thanksgiving I bought myself some steak, and just for the heck of it before I cooked it I cut out some little kitty bite-sized chunks of it and gave it to my cat. She gobbled them up. I was then curious and did a google search for "feed cats raw meat" and discovered there's this increasingly popular movement to feed you cats and dogs raw meats. The reasoning behind it makes sense - it's what they eat in the wild, and a lot of the stuff you find in commercial cat food they would never eat in the wild. Some of the health problems older house cats get can be attributed directly to the stuff found in commercial cat food (most notably, the presence of large amounts of grains and, thus, carbohydrates which cats get very little of in the wild but which is a major reason for cat obesity). Anyway, I've been doing some experimenting and have found she pretty much likes what I've been giving her, with the exception of liver which she invariably regurgitates. I've been giving her chicken hearts and giblets, cod fillet which I chop into bite-sized pieces, some stewing beef which I also chop up into smaller pieces, and last, but certainly not least, some canned wild Alaska red salmon (which I got "free" otherwise I might not have done that cuz it's pretty expensive). I found out that tuna isn't as nutritious as salmon so I went with the salmon.

Anyway, one of the things the proponents of this movement advertise is that, among other things, if you do this your cat will not have "kitty breath" anymore, and his/her stool won't stink nearly so bad. I have found this to be true, and the 2nd one is especially important to me since we both share my apartment's one and only bathroom. ;-)

Anyone else do this? If not I would recommend trying it.

Last edited by James Bond Agent 007; Jan 2, 2010 at 3:04 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2010, 7:29 AM
Meh

Just be careful not to let them have any meat with bones in it. Chicken bones especially are dangerous. Dogs have choked and died because they've grabbed some chicken off the kitchen table and woofed it down and then choked on the bones inside the meat. Also if you do give your dog or cat any meat with bones still in it, make sure they're large bones (like leg bones from cows) and also don't give them bones that have been cooked, since cooked bones are brittle. You can go to your local pet food store and buy cow bones with meat on them still. Even so, even with those being large, like say a knuckle bone which is about the size of a cantaloupe, they can break also with bone shards coming off that can be dangerous. If you do give your dog or cat something like that just make sure that you can supervise them. Believe me, I've heard some horror stories from people who gave their dog or cat something that ended up having bones in it and they choked to death.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography